[SOLVED] RX 6700XT underpeforming

Apr 12, 2021
Hey guys, I recently upgraded from a GTX 1060 3gb to an ASUS RX 6700xt. I was excited to run games a lot smoother and better only to realize my performance is rather slower than expected. Rust runs at like 60-70 FPS with the lowest settings, Valorant runs at 100-200 FPS with the lowest settings, etc etc. I have a 144 HZ monitor and it’s really annoying because my old GPU ran everything better. Both my CPU and GPU utilization are at around 20-50%, respectively. The clock speed on the GPU is fine as well. Before anyone comments, yes I turned off free sync, I uninstalled the NVIDIA drivers using DDU, and I updated my bios.

Specs: GPU: Asus RX 6700xt
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x
Ram: 16 GB
PSU: 500W
Motherboard: B450M-HDV R4.0

thank you.

Solution
Follow these steps

then follow these steps
https://smallbusiness.chron.com/enable-xmp-amd-board-37024.html

now try again

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
That is in fact weird, as you're def not bottlenecked neither... have you tried downloading userbench and run it to see the results? Because as far as spec goes, your pc looks fine to me. And if that is the only thing that changed in the config, there's no really other solutions that come to mind. Maybe a 500w is a bit borderline but if you're not experiencing any crashes and you say the clocks are fine, it's definitely not that. Have you tried to raise the power limit in the adrenalin (or whatever other software you use)?

EDIT I see now amd itself suggest a psu of 600w. I still don't think that's the main culprit as you're not having any crashes or the pc turning off... try to run hwinfo whenever you game, and try to check how much watts your pc is drawing in the "maximum" column. Also, if you use adrenalin, try to check the card power draw.

Last edited:
Follow these steps

then follow these steps

now try again

Solution
Apr 12, 2021
That is in fact weird, as you're def not bottlenecked neither... have you tried downloading userbench and run it to see the results? Because as far as spec goes, your pc looks fine to me. And if that is the only thing that changed in the config, there's no really other solutions that come to mind. Maybe a 500w is a bit borderline but if you're not experiencing any crashes and you say the clocks are fine, it's definitely not that. Have you tried to raise the power limit in the adrenalin (or whatever other software you use)?

EDIT I see now amd itself suggest a psu of 600w. I still don't think that's the main culprit as you're not having any crashes or the pc turning off... try to run hwinfo whenever you game, and try to check how much watts your pc is drawing in the "maximum" column. Also, if you use adrenalin, try to check the card power draw.
You have the exact same thoughts as me... I didnt think there is a bottleneck and my user benchmark says its running fine... I'm not experiencing any crashes or anything but I was thinking of the PSU being too little. I will probably upgrade it soon but money is tight right now hahaha. I will look into raising the power limit because maybe thats it. I dont think that the card is running at minimum voltage though so I dont know...

Apr 12, 2021
Follow these steps

then follow these steps

now try again
Already tried this, I did a clean install of every display driver I have ever owned on my computer

Apr 16, 2021
I have similar issues with my 6700xt and I'm using an 5600x - every benchmark seems to be just fine, I get the scores i should ..but when in game it underperforms in almost every game.
And when I say underperform I'm comparing to online game benchmarks on YouTube with the same hardware combo.

My specs:
6700xt Asus reference
Ryzen 5 5600x
Gigabyte b550m ds3h
Vengeance 2x16gb 2933mhz ram
700watt PSU

I have cleaned Nvidia drivers with ddu and have installed latest bios as well as all other software components have been updated.

In most games I'm seeing a 25-35% dip in performance in terms of benchmarks online

Any ideas to what could be wrong?

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
Have you enabled xmp profile in bios for the ram? Seems like most people these days having dips in frames during gameplay with the new amd cards has alot to do with ram. I see you have 2933 mhz ram. That's one weird clock to have. Especially with new ryzen. They love that 3200/3600mhz spot.

Apr 16, 2021
Have you enabled xmp profile in bios for the ram? Seems like most people these days having dips in frames during gameplay with the new amd cards has alot to do with ram. I see you have 2933 mhz ram. That's one weird clock to have. Especially with new ryzen. They love that 3200/3600mhz spot.
I've made an Xmp profile where it's running at 3200mhz - so that shouldn't be the problem.