Question RX 6800 for $470 in the EU?

TTAOFJ

Reputable
Mar 16, 2019
As the title says I'm not really sure if I should wait or pull the trigger on this used card.

It was used for 1 year and still has warranty until 2024. The owner says it wasn't used for mining but I can't really trust that. The alternative at a similar price would be the 3070, but it performs worse(don't really care about RT). I just want solid 1440p performance.

I'll be upgrading from a 1060 6gb, so that's a pretty substantial bump up. I'll leave the rest of my specs here, but I think they should be a great match for the 6800:

CPU: R7 3700X
GPU: Gigabyte 1060 6g
MB: B450 Aorus Elite
RAM: Patriot Viper 2x8 gb 2666 MHz(OCed to 3200)
PSU: CM V750 V2

I just want to know if waiting is still the better choice, considering the current market situation. Thanks.

Where are you purchasing it from? If buying used I’d recommend stick to a site like eBay since I think they’ve got the eBay money back guarantee. So at least once you get the card you could run it hard to make sure it was in good shape.

Here in the USA it looks like the 6800xt starts on eBay used around 500 dollars and can go up. So 470 is probably a good price. But I’d go through eBay for the protection like I said.

Nvidia just announced their cards which are high priced. AMD should be bringing new cards out before long as well. I will say the 6800xt should be a good upgrade. I’ve got a 6700xt and previously had a 1060 3gb. That was a nice upgrade for sure. But it depends how much you want to spend and if you want to wait.

I suspect the new amd cards will cost less than the nvidia cards but who knows how much less.

TTAOFJ

Reputable
Mar 16, 2019
Where are you purchasing it from? If buying used I’d recommend stick to a site like eBay since I think they’ve got the eBay money back guarantee. So at least once you get the card you could run it hard to make sure it was in good shape.

Here in the USA it looks like the 6800xt starts on eBay used around 500 dollars and can go up. So 470 is probably a good price. But I’d go through eBay for the protection like I said.

Nvidia just announced their cards which are high priced. AMD should be bringing new cards out before long as well. I will say the 6800xt should be a good upgrade. I’ve got a 6700xt and previously had a 1060 3gb. That was a nice upgrade for sure. But it depends how much you want to spend and if you want to wait.

I suspect the new amd cards will cost less than the nvidia cards but who knows how much less.

I'm from Romania so I can't really buy from ebay, unless I get the card shipped from Germany or UK... to me that seems even riskier.

I can actually give you the link to our local used parts website.

https://m.olx.ro/d/oferta/placa-vid...19-amd-radeon-rx-6800-black-16gb-IDgsbko.html

This is the card... it's about $477 if you convert.

Also, the cheapest RX 6800 XT I can find locally is $623 which is a pretty terrible deal, right?

EDIT: We have a lot of cards with out of whack prices, because EU, so finding a used card with a similar price to the used market in the US seemed pretty sweet, to me at least :D.

Last edited:
Ok not bad then. It’s definitely an upgrade over the 1060. It depends on your comfort level with the seller. See if they are reputable and if it’s a shop if they do a return policy. It may not be a bad idea if they can show you the card working before you put down money.

TTAOFJ

Reputable
Mar 16, 2019
Yeah, that sounds like a great idea. I'll maybe ask for a video with the card running a benchmark. He already ran superposition on it.

Definitely not a shop as far as I can tell. I'll try to call him too... just to check what kind of person he is.

Also, one more question. Is it safe to run the 6800 on my PSU? I know that transients are a problem with these new GPUs. Would I be required to undervolt the card, just to be safe?