Discussion RX 6800 graphics card

Sep 5, 2023
"Hey there fellow gamers and PC enthusiasts! I recently got my hands on an RX 6800 graphics card, and I've been loving the performance so far. However, I've run into a little issue, and I'm hoping someone can help me out. Njmcdirectwebsite Handle parking tickets in New Jersey with our app.
I've noticed that my GPU temperatures seem to be running a bit high when gaming, even with decent airflow in my case. I'm using the reference design card, and I'm wondering if there are any tips or tricks to optimize its cooling and keep those temperatures in check. Any advice on fan curves, overclocking settings, or perhaps additional cooling solutions that have worked for you with the RX 6800? I'd really appreciate any insights or recommendations. Thanks in advance!"

Last edited:
What is the make/model of your case?
Whats ur case fan setup?
Whats the exact model of that RX 6800?
How high are those temps ur getting?
Whats games do you play?
First thing that came to my mind is to open it and change the thernal pads and thermal paste, but i mean the card is brand new, so it shouldnt have problems with that atleadt for a couple of years.

Edit: Forgot to mention it would void the warranty.

You can always increase the fan curve in Adrenalin but all that matters is that the temps remain within spec. Reference cards always run hotter because they're primarily works of art, not high-performance models. This is done purposefully by AMD for two reasons:

Reason # 1 - It looks amazing so it catches people's eye and generates interest:

Let's be honest, looks matter. Reference cards are designed to get that "wow factor" with how pretty they are. The RX 6000 cards got a lot of people interested because the reference cards were real stunners. Just look at the stunning ATi Radeon RX 6700 XT OG Reference model:
3695-front.jpg

Now look at the comically generic-looking PowerColor Radeon RX 6700 XT Fighter:
8736-front.jpg

Believe it or not, the Powercolor Fighter's cooling solution is superior to the reference model. You wouldn't know it because it looks so bland but it's because of the sacrifices that ATi had to make for the sake of beauty in the reference models.

Let's be honest, who is going to look at it and say "I WANT THAT!"? Powercolor's Fighter model has a specific advantage over other models in that it's often the only card that will fit into the smaller µATX and mini-ITX cases that some people use so they buy it because it doesn't matter what it looks like if it's all that will fit.

When a card launches, it has to have a design that catches the eye and IMO, the RX 6000 cards are still the prettiest reference cards to ever come out of Markham (The silver and black looks so much better to me than the black-on-black of the RX 7000 cards). Radeon reference cards are like "showroom models" when it comes to video cards. They're not hot-rods but they sure are pretty!

Reason #2 - AMD doesn't want to compete with their own AIB Partners:

The AIB partners have it tough enough already with having to compete with each other despite having (essentially) the same product. They don't need AMD releasing an ATi Reference model that can out-perform them as well. That's also why reference cards aren't on the market for very long. They show up, make a visual impact and then disappear.

I encountered the same thing with my ATi Reference RX 6800 XT but the card never gave me any problems and it ran perfectly for every day that I used it (I found an RX 7900 XTX for a price that I couldn't say no to so the RX 6800 XT is back in the box).