[SOLVED] rx 6800 with a evga 500w?

Andreas_42

Reputable
Jul 21, 2017
im thinking of buying a rx 6800 while i have a evga 500w, my full system contains of 3 80mm fans, 2 120mm fans, ryzen 5 2600 stock, 4x4gb ddr4 2933mhz at 1.2v, i currently have an rx 5600xt but im going to sell it.
i wonder is it worth doing it at 500w or should i just go ahead and buy a new psu?
i calculated it all thru outervision psu calculator and got a load wattage of only 427w and thats why i thought i might get by with 500w
do note that its the normal rx 6800 and not the XT variant, i might be thinking of either going with rx6800, rtx 3070 or 3080

Andreas_42

Reputable
Jul 21, 2017
I'm going to guess no. But it will depend on which "500w" psu you have. Evga is a big name, but most of their psus aren't very good.
oh, like the EVGA one is called EVGA 500W white , https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=100-W1-0500-KR
thats the link to the exact same psu, is holds 480w on the 12v rail so by just checking the numbers i should be able to but i just want some other peoples advice n such cuz i dont really want something going wrong tho, oh i just noticed that it doesnt even use japanese capacitors so maybe im just better off buying a new one since my warranty also just went out just to be safe u know.
but the MTBF on the psu is 100k hours, i checked how about how many hours my pc has been running and its about 13k hours cuz my hdd has been there the longest and it reports 13k hours

okay, im probably just going with the corsair rm 650w 80+gold fully modular one, it also gives me 10y warranty aswell and then going with like a rtx3070

Can you afford the Rm 750? How likely are you to upgrade your CPU/GPU again in the next 10 years (the length of the warranty)? Because if you are, it's only a few bucks more and you'll save yourself the trouble of possibly having to replace your PSU again the next time you upgrade to more powerful hardware.

Andreas_42

Reputable
Jul 21, 2017
Can you afford the Rm 750? How likely are you to upgrade your CPU/GPU again in the next 10 years (the length of the warranty)? Because if you are, it's only a few bucks more and you'll save yourself the trouble of possibly having to replace your PSU again the next time you upgrade to more powerful hardware.
i am going to upgrade my cpu to a ryzen 5 5600x very soon when they come back in stock again but after that it will go like atleast 5+ years before i upgrade again depending if there is any good upgrades and so on but idk if its really necessary to go up to a rm750 tho, like i get what u mean but i typically dont go for those really power hungry cards and if i do its highly likely it wont go past 300watt which leaves me with a bunch left for cpu and other small stuff so i dont really think its necessary