Question RX 6800 XT coil whine with new Seasonic GX 750w PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiper1995

Reputable
Apr 2, 2019
Hello,

I recently bought an RX 6800 XT second hand, the guy came to me, tested the gpu in my case with my old seasonic psu, and everything went fine, 0 coil whine, 0 issues
Next day i went and bought a new PSU as my old one was 550w

Bought Seasonic Focus GX gold 750w, and now my GPU has very annoying coil whine in benchmarks/ games, not when idle-ing tho. The coil whine gets worse and worse with the power draw of the GPU/ intensity of the scene in game

I swapped back my old PSU just to check and no more coil whine, so the problem is from the PSU, not the gpu itself. The seller also stated that he never encountered coil whine.

Should i refund the PSU and get an exactly the same new one (maybe i got a bad unit) or should i try to get a new PSU from a different brand?

Thanks !

th3reaperskullpt

Prominent
Dec 27, 2022
Hello,

I recently bought an RX 6800 XT second hand, the guy came to me, tested the gpu in my case with my old seasonic psu, and everything went fine, 0 coil whine, 0 issues
Next day i went and bought a new PSU as my old one was 550w

Bought Seasonic Focus GX gold 750w, and now my GPU has very annoying coil whine in benchmarks/ games, not when idle-ing tho. The coil whine gets worse and worse with the power draw of the GPU/ intensity of the scene in game

I swapped back my old PSU just to check and no more coil whine, so the problem is from the PSU, not the gpu itself. The seller also stated that he never encountered coil whine.

Should i refund the PSU and get an exactly the same new one (maybe i got a bad unit) or should i try to get a new PSU from a different brand?

Thanks !

As I said in the previous post regarding Focus, try another model from another brand that I refer to in this comment!

Seasonic Focus Gold despite being at the same price as the G6 and GT I prefer the EVGA, I don't really like the focus lineup due to technical terms and problems that I have noticed with the experience of certain users. Whether Seasonic or EVGA sources or even the most expensive ones can have problems, none is exclusive to this.
And Seasonic Prime is Seasonic's best lineup but it's much more expensive than the 3 three options I gave
The EVGA G6 model uses the same Japanese capacitors as the Seasonic, in this case this model was a match between both, and Seasonic being a reference brand of great quality in the power supply segment.
GT is inferior but usually cheaper in certain regions, but still a great PSU.
Phanteks Revolt Pro 850W, it's a great power supply and turns out to be at a better value than the GT, 130$ for example if you have that value it's a great choice.

This based on research I've done is what I've been recommending lately.

What country are you in and what is the voltage on your power grid? Because those GX units have low power factor readings based on Aris testing.

Plus, there is a history of Seasonic power supplies causing coil whine problems on some cards, especially back when the Focus (early models) units were new.

If the PSU is causing coil whine and the old one isn't, return it. I'd recommend looking at the Corsair RMx, HX or Seasonic Prime.

As I said in the previous post regarding Focus, try another model from another brand that I refer to in this comment!

Seasonic Focus Gold despite being at the same price as the G6 and GT I prefer the EVGA, I don't really like the focus lineup due to technical terms and problems that I have noticed with the experience of certain users. Whether Seasonic or EVGA sources or even the most expensive ones can have problems, none is exclusive to this.
And Seasonic Prime is Seasonic's best lineup but it's much more expensive than the 3 three options I gave
The EVGA G6 model uses the same Japanese capacitors as the Seasonic, in this case this model was a match between both, and Seasonic being a reference brand of great quality in the power supply segment.
GT is inferior but usually cheaper in certain regions, but still a great PSU.
Phanteks Revolt Pro 850W, it's a great power supply and turns out to be at a better value than the GT, 130$ for example if you have that value it's a great choice.

This based on research I've done is what I've been recommending lately.
I have no idea what you're even talking about here and it mostly sounds like you really don't know what you're talking about. And what "previous post" are you talking about?

Hiper1995

Reputable
Apr 2, 2019
What country are you in and what is the voltage on your power grid? Because those GX units have low power factor readings based on Aris testing.

Plus, there is a history of Seasonic power supplies causing coil whine problems on some cards, especially back when the Focus (early models) units were new.

If the PSU is causing coil whine and the old one isn't, return it. I'd recommend looking at the Corsair RMx, HX or Seasonic Prime.
I live in Romania, its just wierd that my 5y old Seasonic 550w bronze psu was running perfectly (too low W for my new GPU tho) and this one is running like a trainwreck, so you say i should return it and try a different brand, not the same model in case i got a bad unit?

th3reaperskullpt

Prominent
Dec 27, 2022
I have no idea what you're even talking about here and it mostly sounds like you really don't know what you're talking about. And what "previous post" are you talking about?
The problem I see many is that they don't accept that Seasonic has a lineup with problems.
GamerNexus "Seasonic is also capable of making a bad PSU" - Video from gigabyte that explodes

You have no idea what I'm talking about but you still comment that I don't know what I'm talking about? Do your research and you're not here to give me a smart guy, what I wrote is based on research I did in relation to these sources. Most focus units give problems(And this information taken from user experience), the PSU is not bad as Seasonic uses the same capacitors but that specific lineup is bad comparing with other models.

This comment was made in the previous post, I posted it here.
What research? Let's see some links and empirical data to back the claim of "research". Thanks.

You can certainly try another unit that is the same. If that is the easiest and least expensive option, then try that. If you have the same problem a second time, THEN you would be wise to try a different model. There are conversations regarding the coil whine AND low OCP and OPP protection tuning in a variety of Aris reviews of Focus based power supplies, as well as, although it will take some digging, in my PSU thread. Considering it's 83 pages long, that shouldn't be a surprise. There are references to this problem all across various forums as well if you look into it.

Examples (Evidence, LOL):

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/rdeima/power_supply_can_indeed_affect_gpu_coil_whine/

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/power-supply-and-gpu-coil-whine.3636409/post-21912643

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/vwoin0/gpu_coil_whine_when_im_not_playing_its_quiet_my/

https://hardforum.com/threads/seasonic-warranty-for-coil-whine.2009066/post-1045028440

Some good advice in this thread related that might be worth investigating as well.

still for me hard to believe that psu causes coil whine on gpu
coil whine itself happens always, its usualy outside of human hearing range, or its not loud enough to be noticeable (small coil movement)
higher temperature however can reduce coil movement, as coil gets bigger and looses space to move...so going by this logic when replacing PSU and noticing coil whine audible difference, what gets different, pwm signal? voltage/current difference?

still for me hard to believe that psu causes coil whine on gpu
coil whine itself happens always, its usualy outside of human hearing range, or its not loud enough to be noticeable (small coil movement)
higher temperature however can reduce coil movement, as coil gets bigger and looses space to move...so going by this logic when replacing PSU and noticing coil whine audible difference, what gets different, pwm signal? voltage/current difference?
Do you know who Jon Gerow or Aris Mpitziopoulos are?

They are most probably the two most knowledgeable AND well known electrical engineers (With primary focus on PC power supplies) in the world. And on multiple occasions they have both agreed that given the right ingredients some power supplies can cause coil whine on some graphics cards. So, it's fine if you find it hard to believe or even if you refuse to believe it. I've seen it many dozens of times and seen it validated through the experiences of others just as many times, if not more. Plus, having it confirmed by both of the two people who would be best positioned to know and have experience and knowledge of it, as with Jon (JonnyGuru) and Aris, among others, is just kind of irrefutable.

Is it as common as a PSU or graphics card having coil whine ITSELF? No, it's not. But the fact is, it does happen. In fact, it can happen to ANY device with windings and any device that delivers power to a device with windings can cause it if all the right conditions are met.

Hiper1995

Reputable
Apr 2, 2019
Alright, i tested with a new PSU, seasonic Prime gx 750w gold, could not buy others because they are uber expensive in my country or not available, coil whine is a tad lower, but its not high enough to make me change PSU again.

Question: can a new, "virgin", PSU cause coil whine in a GPU that didnt use to have coil whine? i mean can it fix itself, as others reported, in a few weeks time from it getting hot/ current passing through so on so on?

Hiper1995

Reputable
Apr 2, 2019
Also, 1 more finding: Coil whine appears only in fullscreen benchmarks or games. I tested Aida64, fulmark and some other app for GPU/CPU/memory stability, even tho the GPU was running at 99% drawing 250w of power, there was 0 coil whine. As soon as i launched superposition, which is a fullscreen benchmark, it started to coil whine. Also, i noticed that in every fullscreen app/game, when Adrenalin software overlay kicks in, either via watching the metrics overlay or displaying the message " to acces adrenalin pless ALT+R) coil whine gets worse, as soon as i close it, it lessens a bit

Status
Not open for further replies.