Question rx 6800 xt or 6950 xt

mattwerew

Commendable
Jul 26, 2021
Upgrading from an RX 6600 because I want to game at 1440p 100+ fps with high settings. I also want to play VR games on high settings as well. There is a $100~ difference between the two GPUS and I'm wondering if its worth it.

Im going to pair a r7 5700x with either of them, which shouldn't be a massive bottleneck, I can just overclock it.

Last edited:
The RX 6950XT might be a better choice between these two. More faster and a bit more future proof as well, though no GPU can be said as a future proof solution once the newer next-generation of cards come out.

But the 6950XT has more bandwidth, and also faster Memory speed as well, up to 576 GB/s. but whether it's worth the extra 100USD is a different story. If you can afford then go for it. Else, get the 6800XT instead.

Which GPU AIB/brand are you looking for ? Rest of your PC specs, especially the model/brand of your current PSU ? But make a note that the 6950XT is not heaps faster than the 6800XT though, roughly 15-18 % depending on the application/workload.

Reactions: Avro Arrow

mattwerew

Commendable
Jul 26, 2021
Which GPU AIB/brand are you looking for ? Rest of your PC specs, especially the model/brand of your current PSU ? But make a note that the 6950XT is not heaps faster than the 6800XT though, roughly 15-18 % depending on the application/workload.
For the 6950xt I'm looking at either the PowerColor Red Devil OC or the Sapphire NITRO+. $1100~ AUD

For the 6800xt I'm looking at the Sapphire PULSE or the PowerColor RED DRAGON oc. $900-930 AUD but prices seem to be dropping.

They are the only ones available in my budget and not out of stock. By the way I'm talking in AUD currency, sorry if I didn't mention that.

My current specs
I just bought this power supply to replace the one on the part list.

I'm starting to do some editing with Photoshop and Premiere Pro, so I thought upgrading the GPU would help, as well also with gaming it would do great. I definitely can afford either GPU, I just have to save up.

Both your PC specs, and the new Corsair RMx PSU are pretty solid so there shouldn't be any issue using either of these 2 cards. But since you are on 1440p, then I think the 6800XT might be a better option, especially this model, the PowerColor RED DRAGON oc.

You can even OC the card further, and the performance gap between the two cards will become less. Btw, beyond 1440p the scaling of the 6800XT GPU is not much good unlike the 6950XT. For 4K, yes, the 6950XT might be a better choice, due to it's increased bandwidth.

But on 1440p, the 6800XT should be more than enough given the GPU horsepower it sports.

Not worth spending extra 100/150 AUD in my opinion. Like I mentioned before, both the cards are similar. The 6950XT is obviously faster, but not by a HUGE margin which would be enticing for an upgrade.

If the price of 6800XT is dropping then grab this GPU instead.

Last edited:
I agree with Metal Messiah. For 1440p, the RX 6800 XT would do you just fine. I can max out every game that I've played so far at 1440p and the frame rate is usually around 100FPS, sometimes far more, sometimes a little bit less. I was using it with an R7-5700X but I replaced that with an R7-5800X3D. I haven't tested it with the X3D because if it was killing it with the 5700X, more testing isn't required.

I would get the PowerColor Red Dragon OC because brand doesn't matter and it's cheaper.

zx128k

Reputable
Would go 7900xt if you go AMD. nVidia RTX 4070 ti or above.

6950XT has issues in that you would likely need to upgrade your PSU. Also the card is big, so wouldn't fit in many smaller cases. The 6800xt also recomments a PSU over 750watts. AIB models of the 6950xt have even higher PSU requirements, like 850 watts.

If you have AMD RX 6600, then its a minimum recommented PSU is 450 watts. This makes its likely that a PSU upgrade is required. Your system could have a 550 watt PSU.

A nVidia 4070 is a 200 watt TDP card and a required PSU of 650 watts.

This could mean there are no easy upgrade paths for you, as there could be costs other than the gpu for your upgrade path.

What GPU you get, could be down to the cost of other components you need .e.g, a PSU.

zx128k

Reputable
Love the talk about getting a 6950xt for $1100~ when you can get a RX7900xt for the same price ($1099). Be quick before it sells out. There are lots of the 7900xt cards at $1,299 here, here or here. RTX 4070 is a better card and worth getting instend of a 6950xt.

The RX 6800XT appears to cost a lot more. See here etc. $1,398.5 Need a good place to get cheaper and new. Only a fool gets a card on ebay.

Kronima

Honorable
Sep 16, 2016
Based on the price ranges given in your region, the 6950xt is about 22% more expensive for roughly 15 percent better performance. So the 6800 xt is a better value in this instance.

Also, the tdp of the 6950xt is only a little higher, 335w vs 300 for the 6800xt.

You are completely correct.
Whoa, checking out the links you left. Biostar has a non-reference RX 7900 XT! They used to stick primarily to reference models for the high-end cards and only had custom models of lower-end cards. This is really cool! We don't see much of Biostar in Canada, just a few motherboards here and there so thanks for that.
bRX7900XT_R%E5%BB%A0_RrZv.png

That company has really made some big strides in the past few years. I always found it funny how they could be one of the oldest extant board manufacturers but never managed to really make it big. I have a soft spot in my heart for Biostar because my first PC build in 1988 had a Biostar Baby-AT motherboard (goddamn it I'm OLD :eek:).

Last edited: