Cryorex

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2014
Hi there,

So yeah I want to buy an RX 6800 XT.

I have a:

ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING, AMD AM4, MITX, 64GB DDR4, 2DIMM, HDMI, DP, PCIE
AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Processor
Corsair CMW16GX4M2C3200C16 Vengeance RGB PRO 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16 XMP 2.0
Corsair AX860 ATX Power Supply — 860 Watt 80 PLUS® PLATINUM Certified Fully-Modular PSU

Everything is pretty new tech apart from my PSU, which was bought New but quite a few years ago. Though it's never been pushed hard through its life so I think it'll be fine with an RX 6800 XT. But if anyone thinks differently please let me know.

I also have concerns about my Mini-ITX Motherboard & CPU, will I have any issues there?

My system runs fine right now, but it's only using a RX 6500 XT (Couldn't afford anything better at the time of the initial Build.). Because of the design of the Case, the GPU is also connected through a GPU Riser Cable. But yeah, everything runs fine with the 6500 XT, but will it with a 6800 XT??

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks! :)

Cryorex

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2014
It looks like it should handle the GPU upgrade easy enough.

looks good to me.

Considering i was looking at a 6800xt, and I have a 3600xt and a 750watt psu, you should be fine. the 7900xt has me thinking about it instead now.
Cool thanks for the response.

So these factors:

Old PSU
Mini-ITX Mboard
Connected to PCI-E via GPU Riser Cable

None of these should be an issue?

I'm double checking because i recently got an RTX 3070 off ebay and it was faulty on arrival when it was supposedly working before hand. Just making sure it wasnt because of my System.

Colif

Win 11 Master
well, the PSU has a 7 year warranty and if its only a few years old, it should be fine. How many years ago?

not sure of any reasons micro atx would be an issue.

riser might be issue but if it works now, it should be okay?

AMD gpu are less power hungry compared to Nvidia, main reason I am going to buy one next.

Reactions: Cryorex

Cryorex

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2014
well, the PSU has a 7 year warranty and if its only a few years old, it should be fine. How many years ago?
I just checked my Amazon Order history, I bought it January 2013.... :oops: So 9 Years. But I've never had a single issue with it. And It's been an overkill PSU for most of its life for the Parts it's been powering. So it's lived a relatively stress free life. So I think it should be okay...

not sure of any reasons micro atx would be an issue.
I assume you mean Mini-ITX, because there is a difference, mine is the far left one.

motherboard-size-chart.jpg

riser might be issue but if it works now, it should be okay?
It works completely fine with my RX 6500 XT, and it worked fine initially with the Ebay RTX 3070 initially.
_

However with that Ebay Used RTX 3070, immediately upon instillation, I was getting sporadic black screening which lasted a few seconds each time. Thought it was a Driver issue... seemed to be a little bit more stable after reinstalling Drivers though still did it once or twice after.

Then I tried a game, upon loading in it took a while to load all the assets in and was dead jittery, which was strange, but once all was it loaded seemed okay... Then I managed about 10 minutes of Gameplay with it until it suddenly crashed and the GPU fans went to 100% Speed and Black Screened. It stayed stuck like that and had to turn off holding the power button. Then every subsequent attempt to start the PC up was met with 100% Speed GPU fans and a Black Screen.

So my assumption is that I was sold a GPU that was on it's last legs, already dodgy, and playing a game for 10 Minutes on 4k just finished it off. The Heatsync plates on the Card looked super grimy, like it was hard-clad on there. Possibly been maxed out during it's previous life whatever it was doing(Mining?).
AMD gpu are less power hungry compared to Nvidia, main reason I am going to buy one next.
Always good to know. :)

Colif

Win 11 Master
i don't know about the PSU only as its past its warranty date. the older the get the less reliable they can become. You probably better off with a new one. Just to be sure.

PSU could have been reason for Nvidia GPU, its hard to tell.

I don't know the small boards but I expect it would be okay.

Cryorex

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2014
i don't know about the PSU only as its past its warranty date. the older the get the less reliable they can become. You probably better off with a new one. Just to be sure.

PSU could have been reason for Nvidia GPU, its hard to tell.

I don't know the small boards but I expect it would be okay.
Could the PSU have potentially fried that GPU somehow? Is that possible? Or would it just not work. Also considering the fact its perfectly fine with my RX 6500 XT.

Because it worked initially, though it was having issues. Then after that Crash while gaming. It refused to work at all no matter what I did.

My Plan is to upgrade the PSU next-payday, but I can afford the GPU now you see.

Sep 10, 2022
People are putting next gen GPU on an ITX and it works just fine, 6800xt is considering a higher mid tier GPU per today standard, and by next year it's an entry level kind, and everything in your system will run it well

I have B550f Gaming Wifi Strix, 6800xt tuf, 850w EVGA G5, 16Gb Bdie 3800cl16, and 5600x.

If I were you, I'd get 6900xt instead of 6800xt, it's only around 50-100 dollars more, 5-15% more powerful, and consequently quieter as you wouldn't run it as hard for the same graphic setting.

My biggest regret was to get 6800xt instead of 6900xt, at the time of purchase, I only saved 100 Australian dollars, dummy me. LOL

The Fastest Gaming PC I've Ever Built is TINY! - YouTube

clearly a motherboard form factor wouldn't be an issue here, and please remember, a 750w PSU can handle 6900xt, even slightly overclocked. Only reason I get a 850w PSU was my 750w psu fan bearing make rattling noise the first week of using it the store provided full refund and I get myself an upgrade LOL

Last edited:

Cryorex

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2014
People are putting next gen GPU on an ITX and it works just fine, 6800xt is considering a higher mid tier GPU per today standard, and by next year it's an entry level kind, and everything in your system will run it well

I have B550f Gaming Wifi Strix, 6800xt tuf, 850w EVGA G5, 16Gb Bdie 3800cl16, and 5600x.

If I were you, I'd get 6900xt instead of 6800xt, it's only around 50-100 dollars more, 5-15% more powerful, and consequently quieter as you wouldn't run it as hard for the same graphic setting.

My biggest regret was to get 6800xt instead of 6900xt, at the time of purchase, I only saved 100 Australian dollars, dummy me. LOL

The Fastest Gaming PC I've Ever Built is TINY! - YouTube

clearly a motherboard form factor wouldn't be an issue here, and please remember, even a 750w PSU can handle 6900xt, even slightly overclocked.
Thanks for the response.

So what about the age of my PSU? Do you not see an issue with my 9 Year Old PSU? - Corsair AX860 ATX Power Supply — 860 Watt 80 PLUS® PLATINUM - if it still works perfectly fine with my current build including a RX 6500 XT? Colif has me thinking that I better buy a new PSU first/same time as the GPU upgrade.

Sep 10, 2022
Thanks for the response.

So what about the age of my PSU? Do you not see an issue with my 9 Year Old PSU? - Corsair AX860 ATX Power Supply — 860 Watt 80 PLUS® PLATINUM - if it still works perfectly fine with my current build including a RX 6500 XT? Colif has me thinking that I better buy a new PSU first/same time as the GPU upgrade.

I am only around 4 months old in this gaming pc things and I upgraded my PSU already (due to the first one faulty and refunded by store) but instead of getting the same one I get an update that cost me $40 extra at the time.

My opinions:

Honest opinion? just get 6900xt + 850W PSU, get a good one, you'd have another 10yrs of warranty and anxiety FREE for only $100 extra.

Cryorex

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2014
I am only around 4 months old in this gaming pc things and I upgraded my PSU already (due to the first one faulty and refunded by store) but instead of getting the same one I get an update that cost me $40 extra at the time.

My opinions:

Honest opinion? just get 6900xt + 850W PSU, get a good one, you'd have another 10yrs of warranty and anxiety FREE for only $100 extra.
True. I think I'm done taking risks after the faulty 3070 off ebay. Can't be arsed with the anxiety anymore haha.

Yeah I think I'll get a new 850 PSU alongside the GPU upgrade.

Next Months upgrade will be 1TB SSD & a half-decent Watercooler for my CPU. If only I could just afford it all at once haha.

Thanks for the help guys. @Colif @Cookiezaddict

It's much appreciated.

Cryorex

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2014
i wouldn't buy a 2nd hand GPU right now with so many ex mining cards out there. Better to pay for a new one as if it is bad, you have a warranty.
Yeah I suspect that's what that 3070 I got was, an ex Mining Card. The heatsync plates were mega gritty/grimy. Like it'd seen some damn heavy use.

logainofhades

Titan
I would recommend a new PSU, and waiting on RX 7000 coming next month. Just for some extra info, I run an 5800x, and an RX 6800 in an ITX system. As long as your case can support the GPU, form factor of the motherboard doesn't matter.

Edit:
Actually I have two itx rigs. The other one is a 12700k, with a 3070ti.

Last edited:
@Cryorex,

not sure what I think about the PSU, been such a good unit from Corsair, main issue is years pass you use it or not, and internal components will degrade anyways. Then again I have stored a few really old PSU, which were never even close to the quality of yours, and they still run today.

About the mini ITX, @logainofhades have a really good point in his post, I was about to write the same, its very important to know if the model you pick can actually fit inside the case.

About the GPU in question, if you are not in a hurry I will wait till december market launch for the new RX 7900XTX and 7900XT. Its really hard to know what will be the stock for those brand new units (some people said it will be weak, and it may not last 2 days), but it can happend that the older gen cards get a new discount after the launch, or not. No one knows for sure.

BarderoJ

Prominent
Oct 27, 2022
So abt cpu r5 5600x in enough for 6800xt.
Old pu isnt a problem if its working and 860 watt is more than enough
Gpu riser cable is just a cable and if works - everything fine here
Also 6800xt needs 8+8pin, if ur pu have those cables - everything s also fine

Only problem might be ur case, just make sure that gpu can fit inside

Latest posts