[SOLVED] RX 6800xt AMD Extremely bad performance and bugs

Jan 31, 2022
So I got a 6800xt(FE) as a gift but sadly it has been a hell with this card. I will try to explain the problems. I have 1080p monitor so this is in 1080p.

This is my system:

R5 5600x 3,6 Ghz, Rx 6800xt from amd, 16 Gb 3200Mhz ram, MSI MPG B550 gaming plus MB, x2 Nvme SSD, 650W PSU RM 650x

Drivers Installed

Problems from beginning without story:

- Heavy coil whine on loud programs/games

- Bad preformance in fps

- Heavy stutter in all games, Programs no stutter

- High CPU time 10-15 ms

Things done:

Bios was not updated at this point (last version was when I bought it mid 2021) due to constant system crash after update, with the new GPU crashing was gone and I was able to update the bios.

Did some bios tweaking like Enabling SAM and making sure everything was read correctly.

Did some tweaking in the Redeon software like setting min Mhz to 2200 and max Mhz to 2300 and adjusting fan speeds.

made sure the power to the GPU is from two separate 8 pin connectors in place of one that splits to two.

Updated chipset and things with it.

Did DDU for any older drivers in my pc.

Situation now:

Coil whine was "Almost" eliminated, It comes back sometimes but never as bad as before.

Heavy stutter turned to kind of unsmooth experience, very little micro stutter that comes and goes.

Performance is not bad but at least 100 fps less that a normal 6800xt preformance with my cpu.

CPU time is more consistent now but still swings to 10ms.

Troubleshooting now:

Did research for days but nothing very useful except that there is a chance my PSU is not enough while technically it should.
This is what I noticed In performance: (I could not come up with any conclusion about the problem) :

The GPU usage would be at 93% then swing quickly to 70% or 60% then go back to nintees.

As I said CPU time goes higher to 10ms constantly.

The card does not get hot at all and does barely reach 53 ° C. ( Saw people on youtube with 80 ° + having amazing performance. Fan are working at this temp at 43% speed (I tuned that), but I think that is not enough to keep temps at 53 ° C.

CPU usage always like 50% which gave completely normal performance with a old card I had.

GPU Power is swinging between more than 200W and as low as 80W mid loud.

End:

This and buying a 1440p monitor to test or a new 750W PSU are my last steps before returning the card for a new one (Can I do that? I have no Idea in this stock crises). I tried to make this post as short as possible to make it easy to read.

Edit:

I did reset the card settings and tuning in Radeon software and stuttering is back heavy and coil whine is also back heavy. The tunings I did allot of work. Are all AMD GPU's so bad at stock state?

I would love to hear any conclusions from the Troubleshooting list above.

Solution
Those are not good frequencies for a stock ish 6800xt. You should be base at 1825-1875 and memory at 1910-1930. For a 1080p/1440p monitor there's absolutely no necessity for any real OC with that card.

An RMx 650 isn't enough for that card. Minimum recommended is 750w if you are using a short Ryzen or x100/x400 Intel. 850w if using a 125w TDP cpu. It's not only the 300w power draw, but the 6800xt/6900xt can see regular power spikes closer to, if not over, 600w.

Fps is a measure of the cpu, not the gpu. The gpu is a limiting factor, the cpu is the source.

Maxed ultra graphics is a 2-edged sword. On the one hand it'll slap a hefty load on the gpu, but the kicker is that there are cpu bound settings in there too. Like AA, shadows...
Your not playing Battlefield are you? Should have bought Nvidia :) Teasing aside, I know you say all games, can you give some examples. Did you properly uninstall the previous drivers when you upgraded? Do have the latest drivers now? Also when you say tunings what do you mean? Do you use 2 x PCI-E power connectors from one cable or 2 x PCI-E power connectors from two cables?

Jan 31, 2022
Your not playing Battlefield are you? Should have bought Nvidia :) Teasing aside, I know you say all games, can you give some examples. Did you properly uninstall the previous drivers when you upgraded? Do have the latest drivers now? Also when you say tunings what do you mean? Do you use 2 x PCI-E power connectors from one cable or 2 x PCI-E power connectors from two cables?
No, no battlefield2042. Am not that much of an idiot:ROFLMAO:.
I tried call of duty, heavy stutter and only 150 fps on 1080p (I got that fps with my old 1080ti). PUBG also stuttry and unplayble with only 130 fps on 1080p. fortnite same and also not enough fps.
I did not really properly uninstall the drivers. I had a 1080ti. Got the new card. Installed it and did not do anything, installed the Redeon drivers above the Old Nvidia ones. Someone came to buy my old 1080ti so I put the 1080ti back in the pc (now there is Nvidia and Amd drivers installed). The 1080ti ran perfectly and the guy bought it. I then put the rx 6800xt back and realized the mess. After that I went into safe mode and DDU'ed the Nvidia drivers only.
To fix a potential problem here I uninstalled all drivers from Nvedia and AMD, did a factory reset and reinstalled amd drivers.
By tuning I mean adjusted min and max Mhz frequency of the gpu with min to 2200Mhz and max to 2300Mhz. Tuned voltage to 1100mV. Made Vram max frequency 2100.
Someone suggested those setting to me and they help allot with performance. I use two PCI-E power connectors from two cabels, as recommended from amd.

After doing this I still hear the coil whine, but its minimum and I can live with it if its giving performance. After resetting drivers the stutter stayed, now as an example in fortnite the stutter is going from 300fps for half a second to 20 fps and back. I don't play this game but its amazing in showing where the problem is in your hardware. FPS improved though! Before this I had like 130 fps in fornite and not 300. The stutter is the only thing left. In pubg and cod also same stutters.
Whats really interesting is that furmark is running smooth scoring 17k without crash.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Those are not good frequencies for a stock ish 6800xt. You should be base at 1825-1875 and memory at 1910-1930. For a 1080p/1440p monitor there's absolutely no necessity for any real OC with that card.

An RMx 650 isn't enough for that card. Minimum recommended is 750w if you are using a short Ryzen or x100/x400 Intel. 850w if using a 125w TDP cpu. It's not only the 300w power draw, but the 6800xt/6900xt can see regular power spikes closer to, if not over, 600w.

Fps is a measure of the cpu, not the gpu. The gpu is a limiting factor, the cpu is the source.

Maxed ultra graphics is a 2-edged sword. On the one hand it'll slap a hefty load on the gpu, but the kicker is that there are cpu bound settings in there too. Like AA, shadows, field of view, lighting affects, Ai etc. As you raise the preset detail levels, it also puts more workload on the cpu per frame, which tanks fps.

To get best playable fps, start with medium settings, then maximize graphics sliders, leaving the cpu sliders alone. That puts the maximum load on the gpu and minimal load on cpu and still leaves a decent picture.

You also need to check windows. Xbox DVR and game helper should be disabled. They tank fps in most games.

Tune the cpu. For a Ryzen, that means underclocking Not overclocking. Use Cinebench R20/23 to set a base, then lower VID a small notch and retest. Keep lowering VID until scores start dropping or you become unstable. Boosts on a per core basis should go up, verify with HWInfo.

Ram should be tuned as well. Check Secondary and Tertiary timings, not just Primary, they can most likely be lowered a bunch. Fclock should be fixed at 1600.

This will take a while, get ready for hours-days invested. There's no magic button fix. Dram Calculator can help as can ClockTuner2 (guru3d.com) just follow All the directions. Dram calculator isn't perfect, it's a base statement reading from the ram, but changes within the silicon will affect your results, so you will need to make adjustments.

End result is a faster, stronger cpu that will field higher fps, and keep up better with that monster gpu. That means less stutters. If any.

Reactions: helper800
Solution
Do you still get frame drops
No, no battlefield2042. Am not that much of an idiot:ROFLMAO:.
I tried call of duty, heavy stutter and only 150 fps on 1080p (I got that fps with my old 1080ti). PUBG also stuttry and unplayble with only 130 fps on 1080p. fortnite same and also not enough fps.
I did not really properly uninstall the drivers. I had a 1080ti. Got the new card. Installed it and did not do anything, installed the Redeon drivers above the Old Nvidia ones. Someone came to buy my old 1080ti so I put the 1080ti back in the pc (now there is Nvidia and Amd drivers installed). The 1080ti ran perfectly and the guy bought it. I then put the rx 6800xt back and realized the mess. After that I went into safe mode and DDU'ed the Nvidia drivers only.
To fix a potential problem here I uninstalled all drivers from Nvedia and AMD, did a factory reset and reinstalled amd drivers.
By tuning I mean adjusted min and max Mhz frequency of the gpu with min to 2200Mhz and max to 2300Mhz. Tuned voltage to 1100mV. Made Vram max frequency 2100.
Someone suggested those setting to me and they help allot with performance. I use two PCI-E power connectors from two cabels, as recommended from amd.

After doing this I still hear the coil whine, but its minimum and I can live with it if its giving performance. After resetting drivers the stutter stayed, now as an example in fortnite the stutter is going from 300fps for half a second to 20 fps and back. I don't play this game but its amazing in showing where the problem is in your hardware. FPS improved though! Before this I had like 130 fps in fornite and not 300. The stutter is the only thing left. In pubg and cod also same stutters.
Whats really interesting is that furmark is running smooth scoring 17k without crash.
Quick and dirty thing just to rule out, check your GPU is running at PCI-E 4 x16 with GPU-Z.

Hardware wise the PSU is a common cause of problems, you do have a good PSU even though it is 650W. I would have thought given you have a 5600X you'd probably get away with 650W, it could be power spikes though as @Karadjgne suggested.

If you do end upgrading the PSU, I'd advise just getting 850W and skipping 750W.

TRENDING THREADS