News RX 6900 XT Goes Up Against GeForce RTX 3080 In OpenCL Tests

Gurg

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
Why would I want the $999 RX6900XT that have both scores lower than $799 RTX3080 ?
Because it says AMD on the box and goes to fund Lisa SU's bonus? LOL!

In actuality with today's extremely limited supply of top 4k capable GPUs, if you have a NEED rather than a want, you probably won't have a choice, but will be faced with buying what is available.

Last edited:

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
The numbers are a bit weird... particularly how the 6800XT manages to outperform the 6900XT in Geekbench 5 Vulkan. Doesn't make any sense.

And, given that, in gaming, the 6800XT is neck and neck with the 3080, I don't think anyone should be jumping the gun with AMD-bashing/Nvidia-fanboyism just yet.

Reactions: salgado18

purple_dragon

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2012
What gpu to buy really depends on your use case. I use my gpu more for gaming at 4K than productivity so Nvidia's DLSS is a technology that helps at those resolutions for higher frame rates. I do prefer the higher memory amount on the AMD gpu's because I don't want to pay for an RTX 3090 and RTX 3080's 10gb is on the edge of not being enough to load 4K textures in less than a year. I'll probably go with a 3080 but not against a 6800 XT if it's available sooner.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
I actually feel they should stop all these performance metrics on a card that is as rare as shark's toenail. It seems that the card is limited mostly to reviewers to play around and show numbers, but the reality is that you can't get one. So the performance numbers mean nothing.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
What gpu to buy really depends on your use case. I use my gpu more for gaming at 4K than productivity so Nvidia's DLSS is a technology that helps at those resolutions for higher frame rates. I do prefer the higher memory amount on the AMD gpu's because I don't want to pay for an RTX 3090 and RTX 3080's 10gb is on the edge of not being enough to load 4K textures in less than a year. I'll probably go with a 3080 but not against a 6800 XT if it's available sooner.
While I agree that DLSS will help claw back performance, you need to be mindful that not all games will come with DLSS support. So far only Nvidia sponsored titles get DLSS. So if you want to play a game that is not exclusive to Nvidia, DLSS may not be able to save you, especially so because the technology is exclusive to Nvidia.