Question Rx Vega 56 or rtx 2060?

radhamescambero

Commendable
May 6, 2017
Hi, my Rx 480 just stopped working so I need to buy a new GPU, should I get the Rx Vega 56 or the rtx 2060? The Vega 56 is almost 2 years old, but it performs like a rtx 2060 and it also has 8gb of vram instead of the 6gb of the rtx 2060. Thanks

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Performance-wise, they are about equal.

Assuming both are new, and both are around the same price, I would VERY STRONGLY recommend the RTX 2060 due to a much lower power draw than the Vega 56.

Only go with the Vega 56 if it's a LOT less expensive, AND you have a beefy power supply.

radhamescambero

Commendable
May 6, 2017
Are you gaming on 1080p, or 2K ? Get the RTX GPU instead. Latest TURING Architecture, and more efficient than the VEGA GPU. Which PSU are you having ?

You mean to say, you are going to buy a used/second hand VEGA 56 ?
I'm buying it new, but what I meant by 2 years old was that the Vega 56 got released almost 2 years ago, also, I have a 600w EVGA PSU. Does the 2 extra GB of vram is really important? Thanks

radhamescambero

Commendable
May 6, 2017
Performance-wise, they are about equal.

Assuming both are new, and both are around the same price, I would VERY STRONGLY recommend the RTX 2060 due to a much lower power draw than the Vega 56.

Only go with the Vega 56 if it's a LOT less expensive, AND you have a beefy power supply.
They are both at the same price, is the 2 extra GB of vram on the Vega 56 worth it? I'm using a 1080 144hz monitoring too

Does the 2 extra GB of vram is really important?

That's a bit tricky question to answer. It all depends on the Game, as well as the SCREEN RES of your monitor. But, as you are on 1080p, I don't think you would be running into any serious VRAM issues. Having more VRAM slightly makes the card a bit more future-proof though, assuming next-gen games/consoles would be requiring a lot of video memory.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
At 1080p, or even 1440p, the 2GB difference in VRAM is irrelevant. I think only when you're getting into the 4k range that it might become an issue with high-res textures. At 4K screen resolutions, though, neither the Vega 56 or RTX 2060 will perform well.