[SOLVED] rx vega 64 not hitting full clock speeds

jordank_boro

Commendable
Dec 26, 2018
hey everyone. i just got a power color rx vega 64 and i've tried a few games out. so far battlefield 5 is the only game working really well at 90 fps. but the card is unstable. im getting drops in the clock speeds of both the memory and the core clock. it is set to all factory settings and im using msi afterburner to see whats going on. in games like far cry and fallout 76 im only getting 60 to 80 percent usage or it will go to 99 but throtle the clocks down. core clocks are 1640 and memory is at 940. but in game while monitoring the clocks the core clock will be around 1000 to 1400 and mem will go from 940 to 500 or so. frame rates drop as this happens and when i get my clock into the 1400 mark it runs with great frames. but it's capable of hitting 1680 or so from the specs on the card. i know the frames would be amazing at this clock but i cant get it to hit that for the life of me. please help haha.

full specs
motherboard- asus z8na-d6(c) (dual core)
cpu- 2x intel xeon X5675 @3.2ghz(6 and 12 core)
ram- 32gb ddr3 at 1333mhz
graphics card- powercolor rx vega 64
psu- seasonic 850w gold

Solution
i think i may have found a solution to the cpu. i turned on c state which oddly enough slows down the cpu but also under heavy use allows me to use the full multiplier (x26 instead of only x25) it's a bit quicket cpu wise for sure. hitting around 60 to 70 fps in anthem buuut it drops to 45 insome areas. but i think they will fix that soon enough. so now im only getting a max usage of around 70 percent on the individual cpu cores instead of 80. so i guess i just have to figure out a good oc for my card. i think this is the best it gets for the cpu and stuff i have since the main workload for each core is technically less since its an older architecture built into it. so the 3.45 ghz doesnt process as fast as a brand new cpu with the same...

jordank_boro

Commendable
Dec 26, 2018
resolution is 1440p and is native to the monitor im using. and not all my cores are being used since i have so many and games tend to use like 4 to 8 but im never going over 80 percent on any individual core. so games like bfV which is a brand new AAA title are hitting 100 fps constant. that has 64 other people playing on a massive map(massive cpu use) with every setting maxed out on ultra(massive gpu use). but this game looks unreal at 100 fps constantly. but i load up gtaV which is a much older game. i max out the main settings and dont even fuck with the advanced graphics and im only getting like 45 fps. and it's only using like 4 out of the 8 gigs on my card. i should be able to kick this games teeth in with the card and system i have. but it doesnt seem to function properly. along with far cry new dawn and watch dogs 2. both only getting like maybe 60 fps max and usually hovering around 40. doesnt make any sense to me. also i just got anthem. extremely challenging game on your system. i have it maxed out and im hitting like 80 fps all the time... i have drops here and there during intense battles but i assume its just a programming thing since the game is so new. but yea some titles are just unreal and others dont function at all. im lost hahahaha.

jordank_boro

Commendable
Dec 26, 2018
hmmm. i downloaded hw monitor today. when i bench my cpu with cpuz every core hits 100 percent. seems like thats whay should happen. but in any game i am never going above 80 percent on any given core. and it's utilizing about 30 percent of the entire cpus cores. how am i hitting a bottleneck with my cpu if no core ever see's 100 percent use? also i thought maybe ram could be it. i have it set to 1333 mhz in my bios and i have 32 gigs of it and the game is never using more than 9 or so. could the mhz of ram be holding me back. it seems like 1333 mhz would be enough with 32 gigs to fetch anything game wise. and it doesnt make sense that some titles like bfV that are brand new are getting 100+ fps constant and some like anthem only get 60 but drop to 40 in certain areas(tried playing anthem again and my fps is lower than it was before.) i have the newest drivers for amd 19.3.3. also my benchmarks in 3d mark are pretty good too. getting 16500 in firestrike which is not bad at all. 20 000 gpu score and like 15 000 or so cpu score.

this also is a server mobo and has no oc abilities sadly. but could there be a bios setting holding back or throttling my cpu somehow. i have gone through and tried to change a few settings and seem to have it where it's giving me the best performance possible. but it still seems to be lacking. or maybe im just expecting too much. idk haha but i dont see how the cpu could be a bottleneck if no core is ever seeing full usage. unless theres a throttle setting i missed causing it to lock out the last 20 percent(since it only ever sees %80 usage in game) of the cpu power. which would be a lot. like 1 fifth the power.

jordank_boro

Commendable
Dec 26, 2018
i think i may have found a solution to the cpu. i turned on c state which oddly enough slows down the cpu but also under heavy use allows me to use the full multiplier (x26 instead of only x25) it's a bit quicket cpu wise for sure. hitting around 60 to 70 fps in anthem buuut it drops to 45 insome areas. but i think they will fix that soon enough. so now im only getting a max usage of around 70 percent on the individual cpu cores instead of 80. so i guess i just have to figure out a good oc for my card. i think this is the best it gets for the cpu and stuff i have since the main workload for each core is technically less since its an older architecture built into it. so the 3.45 ghz doesnt process as fast as a brand new cpu with the same ghz and cores simply because the way the info is processed ie, the architecture of the cpu. i found this out by using cpuz. i benched my cpu and then compared it to one with the same cores and the same ghz. the newer reference cpu was scoring better even tho all the specs were the same. just because it can process things faster due to the architecture. so not only are raw specs important like numbers. but the software built in seems to make the most difference. i'm sure if i had a brand new cpu with the same cores and ghz as the one i have now the newer one would pull like 20 fps more simply due to it being able to send info easier. ok rant over ahaha i hate when people solve their own problems and dont explain. so here it is!

Solution

TRENDING THREADS