RX Vega 64 temperature sensor fault?

eugenmale

Prominent
Oct 29, 2017
Greetings guys, ive recently bought an RX Vega 64 limited edition version which is a beauty to behold for a stock cooler however i cant seem to think i have a problem with this card.

You see whenever i play a game or do a benchmark, even a benchmark like furmark the temperature of the card is never stable! It will jump up or down by 4 degrees most of the time:

I dont mean like:
70-71-72-73-74-75 too quickly, No.

I mean:
69-70-74-69-70-74-71-75-72-76-71-75-71-75-71-75-71-75 etc...

Im worried that the temperature sensor is faulty as when i specify a specific fan profile with a specific temperature target i will get random warnings my gpu temp threshold has been exceeded because of these random temperature jumps...

EDIT: THIS EVEN HAPPENS AT IDLE TEMPS:
33-38-37-33-37-33 etc...

Do you guys experience the errratic temperature problems as i do? Ive searched some youtube videos and i couldnt find anyone having this issue.

Im using Win10, drivers 17.9.3 (even 17.10.3 does it).

Please if you can help me with this info it will be very important to me so i can return it to the store asap.

Best Regards!
Eugen.

Solution
Closing this thread down by saying, i went to the store and asked them nicely to test my graphics card & another vega 64 they had for testing on their rig, mine showed 4 degrees oscilation while the other vega 64 was rock solid. So, for anyone wondering if at idle gpu temp oscilation by 4 degrees is normal or not IT IS NOT as the temp sensor is broken.

Best regards,
Eugen.

eugenmale

Prominent
Oct 29, 2017
For anyone wondering how it looks like graphically from the radeon settings wattman here it is:
the weird dips you see ammount to exactly 4C that test was done while idling without the google chrome browser open.
dISb9RV.jpg

Best Regards,
Eugen.

eugenmale

Prominent
Oct 29, 2017
Here im showing you another wattman graph with fan speed the same, gpu memory clock same, gpu clock same and activity same. All Except the stupid temperature oscilating 5 degrees as usual...
ojd2TRY.jpg

eugenmale

Prominent
Oct 29, 2017
Thank you for your answear :) well if its normal for vega i hope they fix it because its incredibly broken, my RX580 Sapphire Nitro Special Edition, My HD7970 DIRECT CU II and other gfx cards ive found dont do this kind of fluctuation, maybe tops 1 degrees but 4 whole degrees is too much. Still If someone with a vega 64 card has this issue like myself it would be awesome to confirm/debunk this issue because the card itself costed me 610€ and i dont like the idea i paid so much for a malfunctioning card.

Best Regards!

The fluctuation of the temperature is because of the automated boost, it will overclock itself, when a certain temperature is reached then declock itself meaning a lower temperature, when the temperature reached a certain low then it overclock itself again. It is not broken if ever had an nvidia card this is hapening since maxwell if i m not mistaken, vega is the first videocard from amd to do so. My pascal does teh same thing and i got same fluctuation, it is because of auto-overclock.

eugenmale

Prominent
Oct 29, 2017

Yes i understand the logic but as you can see the temperature jumps always only by 4C even on idle even when no oc is applied. The second screenshot will show you how everything is stable and no oc is applied to either mem or gpu and gpu load beying 0%.

eugenmale

Prominent
Oct 29, 2017

Yes, if you please i would really really appreciate seeying your idle temps (0% gpu usage) for a period of 1 minute or so if its not too much to ask, it would certainly ease my mind a little :) as for RMA, thats the thing! i dont want to send it and then they send me back claiming it as normal or something.

eugenmale

Prominent
Oct 29, 2017
Well, i guess he forgot about it :p

After much surfing and searching around the net still the temperature oscilation semms rather suspicious, please anyone with an rx vega can confirm the 4 degrees random oscilation when idling in wattman with 0% gpu load? Im really trying to figure out if it happens with everyone or just me.

Best Regards,
Eugen.

eugenmale

Prominent
Oct 29, 2017
Closing this thread down by saying, i went to the store and asked them nicely to test my graphics card & another vega 64 they had for testing on their rig, mine showed 4 degrees oscilation while the other vega 64 was rock solid. So, for anyone wondering if at idle gpu temp oscilation by 4 degrees is normal or not IT IS NOT as the temp sensor is broken.

Best regards,
Eugen.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS