[SOLVED] RX470 causing Windows issues.

CS_044

Commendable
Aug 25, 2020
So, second thread of the day, with the same GPU.

My Loverly RX470 8GB,

This time, I have resolved the issue with the CPU (another thread I made) but now, its with some sort of issue this card causes with the motherboard and windows.

Anyways, the problem is that, only when the RX470 is installed, and has been running, going to shut off the pc, means that after the pc has "shut down" the CPU fans kick up to 100% and there is a blue power light on the graphics card, as if there is still power getting to it. I know motherboards are supposed to maintain a small amount of power even when "shut down" but, the only difference here is that the fans are at full power and really loud. This leads me to need to shut the PSU off with the switch round the back to stop the fans spinning.

I have tested this with my GTX1650 that I have as well. And it doesn't do it. The CPU fans turn off when shut down when the 1650 is installed.

So this is what makes me think it is a issue with my RX470.

Solution
What do you mean normal? It has a name which says the model. Please take a look on the sticker of your psu or even better upload an image to imgur so we can be certain.
I think ive sorted the problem for now anyway, I made a clean install of windows on my new SSD, and now the fans don’t spin when shutting down, so i think a windows file had corrupted on my HDD which is what I used daily till this point

CS_044

Commendable
Aug 25, 2020
I suspect that it's a power issue most probably. What is the make and model of your PSU?
2 month old EVGA 600W- I’ve narrowed it down to that I think one of the capacitors on the gpu has gone, as only the CPU fan’s spin and not the GPU when the pc is shutdown, it is fine the rest of the time. And only happens with that card installed.

Last edited:
W1 from EVGA is not meant to power a gaming rig. Office PCs only. It might have caused all your issues, including the possibility of damaging your GPU. You will know if you swap the PSU with a decent one (return that one since it's under warranty) or try the GPU in another system with a better PSU.

CS_044

Commendable
Aug 25, 2020
What do you mean normal? It has a name which says the model. Please take a look on the sticker of your psu or even better upload an image to imgur so we can be certain.
I think ive sorted the problem for now anyway, I made a clean install of windows on my new SSD, and now the fans don’t spin when shutting down, so i think a windows file had corrupted on my HDD which is what I used daily till this point

Solution