RX480 boot issues. Tried literally everything short of ritual sacrifice to appease the AMD Gods

Commander_Riker

Commendable
Apr 25, 2016
Current specs:
FX-8300 BE CPU
R9 270X Twin Frozr
EVGA 600W PSU
ASUS M5A78L-M motherboard
16gb DDR3 RAM
Thermaltake P3 Case (Not that that matters)

So, to begin with, I uninstalled the drivers for the 270X with DDU, as well as any leftover Nvidia stuff from my old 750ti. Seated the new RX480 (via riser cable *unpowered*) and turned the PC on. BIOS splash screen loaded extremely slowly, like it was being rendered in blocks from the top down. Got to the Windows 10 logo with the spinning circles (normal animation speed on those) which then disappeared and began the spinning circles on their own (slowly and jittery).

After a few minutes my lockscreen finally loaded. First a light blue screen, then a slightly darker blue, then finally my lockscreen picture.....Bad signs so far.

Downloaded the latest driver for the card, installed, reboot and BIOS loads slow again....fans spin...black....*beep*....BIOS, rinse and repeat. Windows started its repair stuff. Selected to continue to Windows. Amazingly it worked. GPU-Z and MSI Afterburner were not picking up the card however. Rebooted again and started the repair then continued to Windows. This time the card was detected. However, right-clicking wasn't displaying the option for AMD Settings (Radeon Settings?). 10:30pm by this point with 4:30am start next morning...I'll sort that tomorrow

Well, back to BIOS rebooting and literally nothing apart from uninstalling drivers gets the card to the desktop. Soon as they are installed, its back to rebooting

There's a driver CD that came with the card which I'm yet to try. Can anyone who has had the same issue confirm if the CD drivers work?
Oh and Ive seen multiple conflicting statements on the card not supporting Legacy BIOS (my mobo doesnt support UEFI). People saying it requires UEFI and people saying it doesnt

This is the most expensive headache Ive ever bought

Update: Showing as Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. Tried installing drivers from there but since everything is so damn laggy it just reboots my machine :/

TRENDING THREADS