RX480 crossfire compatible with R9 390?

Storx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
I recently upgraded to 4k monitor, the current GPU is plenty powerful enough to run the games i typically play in 4k on very high settings with very good FPS, but since upgrading to 4k the sheer amount of heat my system gives off has like increased by 4x to levels that have me concerned, so i have been discussing on another post on what to do about it. Someone mentioned to me to crossfire a lower heat building GPU into the mix or upgrade to a more efficient single card for 4k gaming. This person told me i should get an RX480 and set it as my primary card, then use the r9 390 as my secondary. He mentioned the combo together would probably generate similar to less heat at much high settings and FPS, so locking my FPS to a set # that my heat issues would get better...

So i started looking into this, because there are a few RX480's on sale around the $150-180 range, which is the price of used r9 390s are going for roughly.. but i cannot find a single post talking about them being compatible together in crossfire. No chart on AMD has them together..

Solution
They are not compatible for Crossfire. For Crossfire the cards need to be of the same GPU core/architecture. For example you can crossfire a 390x with a 390 and it would perform like 2 - 390's, but you can't crossfire a 390 with a 380. The 480 is a completely new architecture and can only crossfire with a 470 or another 480.

Your best bet is to save up and get a single more powerful card as dual card setups can have a lot of issues from micro stuttering to actually having lower performance than a single card due to lack of Crossfire/SLI support.

Depending on how long it might take you to get the money together for a new GPU, AMD might have their Vega lineup out and you might be able to get a lot of performance for a decent price...
They are not compatible for Crossfire. For Crossfire the cards need to be of the same GPU core/architecture. For example you can crossfire a 390x with a 390 and it would perform like 2 - 390's, but you can't crossfire a 390 with a 380. The 480 is a completely new architecture and can only crossfire with a 470 or another 480.

Your best bet is to save up and get a single more powerful card as dual card setups can have a lot of issues from micro stuttering to actually having lower performance than a single card due to lack of Crossfire/SLI support.

Depending on how long it might take you to get the money together for a new GPU, AMD might have their Vega lineup out and you might be able to get a lot of performance for a decent price. Otherwise, there is always the $700 1080ti.

Solution