[SOLVED] RX480 only using motherboard power? Help!

Oct 3, 2019
As the title says, my GPU wont use the 150 watts it has access to in certain games and I cant figure out why. In this case, I am trying to play Minecraft Java and it is running around 30 - 45 watts and not boosting the frequency either . Batman arkham asylum was another game that was doing this too so it isn't Java. Any suggestions are appreciated!

My computer is:
FX 9590
RX 480
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
16GB 4x4 memory

Solution
I doubt a card would run at all if it was only being given 1/3 of the power it needs. Please confirm that the 8-pin power connector from the PSU is hooked into the end/side of your GPU.

Let's not talk power, what FREQUENCY is the GPU core running at under load (something like FurMark is an easier way to test these types of things since it runs in windowed mode and applies a constant load on the GPU). Please also list GPU temp during FurMark.

GPUz is a very easy to use software for monitoring GPU related stats. Not sure where you're getting your "30-45W" claims from.
I doubt a card would run at all if it was only being given 1/3 of the power it needs. Please confirm that the 8-pin power connector from the PSU is hooked into the end/side of your GPU.

Let's not talk power, what FREQUENCY is the GPU core running at under load (something like FurMark is an easier way to test these types of things since it runs in windowed mode and applies a constant load on the GPU). Please also list GPU temp during FurMark.

GPUz is a very easy to use software for monitoring GPU related stats. Not sure where you're getting your "30-45W" claims from.

Solution
Oct 3, 2019
Thanks for the reply's I guess I should have been a bit clearer lol, most games are working properly and my card is clocking to ~1300mhz and running ~100%. just a select few games has this issue appeared of low usage, clocking around 600mhz and running under 50 watts. I've read posts where others with roughly my setup are pushing 500fps in minecraft so I am really confused. It might be a driver issue that hasn't been fixed because I've clean installed a few times now.

PSU is a 750 80+ bronze

Yeah, if some games are running as expected, then I can't fathom how the GPU (physical card itself) would be at fault.

600MHz is the idle frequency, so basically your GPU is thinking there's no load there to wake up for.

What graphics driver version are you using?

You said others are getting 500FPS in Minecraft (which is a waste of heat/power/noise). What FPS are you getting?

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2019
I am currently on driver version 19.9.2 however I have had this issue for a while now and I regularly clean install driver updates. I am getting around 90 fps in Minecraft win10 at these low clocks but I have a 144hz display. I tried Minecraft Java and its lower, I also tried playing some Tekkit mod however even with all settings on as low as they go it would only push 30 or less... Some people today play Minecraft with ray tracing and I'm here struggling to play on even a simple non graphical mod lol.