PCnoobmuch

Honorable
May 29, 2016
Ok so i can buy a used RX 570 4gb for $160

or

I can buy a RX480 8GB which has been mined on for $180...

The card ran from September to June..
IT was said to have run at 45C and the core clock reduced is what I was told...

Which would you buy?

This graphics card will be paired with a I7-2600

Canadian Dollars

Thank you for the help!! Very much appreciated if you respond!

Solution
RX 570 4GB hands down, it can OC upto the performance level of stock RX 580.
I'd personally won't consider the 8GB variation on any 480/570/580 unless gaming @ 1440p since for 1080p, 4GB VRAM is sufficient and these card are not meant for 1440p gaming.
Also better to buy an used card than a mined card.

JaSoN_cRuZe

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
I'd personally won't consider the 8GB variation on any 480/570/580 unless gaming @ 1440p since for 1080p, 4GB VRAM is sufficient and these card are not meant for 1440p gaming.

Solution

PCnoobmuch

Honorable
May 29, 2016

Thanks for your input!..... the reason why I consider the 8gb version is because i am heavy into X plane 11 and it eats VRAM... most people in the community recommend 6gb VRAM for X plane 11.... I dont mind the extra $20 to spend but I am worried because its been mined on for so long

PCnoobmuch

Honorable
May 29, 2016
Thanks for your input!..... the reason why I consider the 8gb version is because i am heavy into X plane 11 and it eats VRAM... most people in the community recommend 6gb VRAM for X plane 11.... I dont mind the extra $20 to spend but I am worried because its been mined on for so long
Whats your thoughts on the card being mined?

JaSoN_cRuZe

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
The mined card is specifically not used for its deemed purpose, so the user might have flashed bios tweaked settings to achieve better hash rates so it won't be suitable.
Anyways, If he/she gives you a testing period, test either of those used cards and go to whichever you are happy with, also if 8GB Vram is necessary go for 480.

PCnoobmuch

Honorable
May 29, 2016
The mined card is specifically not used for its deemed purpose, so the user might have flashed bios tweaked settings to achieve better hash rates so it won't be suitable.
Anyways, If he/she gives you a testing period, test either of those used cards and go to whichever you are happy with, also if 8GB Vram is necessary go for 480.

Thank you. Ill quote the guy i might buy off of.. he said the cards

"Ran around 45C. Lowered the core clock to reduce the power consumption. And ran from September to June of last year. Last few months weren't always running."

I can ask to test since I am buying of kijiji....

When testing the cards what should I look for?

PCnoobmuch

Honorable
May 29, 2016
Thank you. Ill quote the guy i might buy off of.. he said the cards

"Ran around 45C. Lowered the core clock to reduce the power consumption. And ran from September to June of last year. Last few months weren't always running."

I can ask to test since I am buying of kijiji....

When testing the cards what should I look for?

Also any more questions I should ask the owner before I go to test the card?

JaSoN_cRuZe

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
Kindly ask the owner for testing period before buying the card.
Test the card by maintaining the default settings of the card and run benchmarks, check for artifacts and crashes under card's default settings, then try to overclock the card and check for stability, search online for typical benchmark score of the OC'd GPU for comparison. Finally check with the games you play, if all is good then go ahead.

PCnoobmuch

Honorable
May 29, 2016
Kindly ask the owner for testing period before buying the card.
Test the card by maintaining the default settings of the card and run benchmarks, check for artifacts and crashes under card's default settings, then try to overclock the card and check for stability, search online for typical benchmark score of the OC'd GPU for comparison. Finally check with the games you play, if all is good then go ahead.

Ok cool. What benchmarks would you run and for how long?
How long would you test the games for?
Just don't want to take up too much time lol