Question RX570 Compatibility Issue

Feb 11, 2019
So, I think I have made an error in purchasing a new GPU.
I found a RX570 8GB very cheap recently, and made the purchase to upgrade from my Radeon HD7870 2GB. (i compared the two cards and the RX seemed far superior to the HD)
The price was too enticing and i noticed this GPU was a few years old, so figured it would be compatible with my old hardware.

Problem:
Installed the GPU, dont get any video out of the DVI/HDMI. (have not yet tried the Display Ports, as i dont have any compatible Monitors...)
I feel as though the Mobo is too old for this GPU??
Mobo does have PCIe x16 slots.

Important PC specs: (Originally built in 2012)
i7 3820
gigabyte G1 Assassin 2
16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
750w Thermaltake PSU.

Please point me in the right direction.
ThankYou!

knickle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
I bought an MSI RX570 8GB to replace my old HD7870 (gigahertz edition), and I have an i7 3770K. It's working well as far as I can tell.

I have an ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe motherboard which uses the 1155 CPU socket. Your mobo is an x79 I believe, which has a 2011 CPU socket for the extreme processors. I would like to think that an x79 board is more advanced than mine, and at the very least on par in the compatibility department. I don't see any reason why the new GPU wouldn't work, unless its defective.

Do you have enough power connectors from your power supply to run BOTH cards at the same time? If you can get the system to at least post on your old card, you should be able to tell if Windows even detects the new card and go from there.

Feb 11, 2019
I bought an MSI RX570 8GB to replace my old HD7870 (gigahertz edition), and I have an i7 3770K. It's working well as far as I can tell.

I have an ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe motherboard which uses the 1155 CPU socket. Your mobo is an x79 I believe, which has a 2011 CPU socket for the extreme processors. I would like to think that an x79 board is more advanced than mine, and at the very least on par in the compatibility department. I don't see any reason why the new GPU wouldn't work, unless its defective.

Do you have enough power connectors from your power supply to run BOTH cards at the same time? If you can get the system to at least post on your old card, you should be able to tell if Windows even detects the new card and go from there.
Yep, awesome Idea.
I will try run both cards to at least get the pc operational to see if I can detect the gpu.

Will report back.
Thanks

Feb 11, 2019
Just tried to install the NEW GPU along side the Current GPU as suggested above.
Both of my monitors are still plugged in to their normal DVI and HDMI on the current GPU.

Same problem, no video. as soon as i remove the new GPU, video is back...

Just found i am NOT running most current BIOS, found a later version, just installing now, hoping that this helps.

Feb 11, 2019
Ok, so i just updated my bios to F12W using Gigayte's @bios (F12W is the LATEST bios, but still from 2013...)
And now, i have video again.

When upgrading GPU's, aside from installing the driver that comes with the new GPU, what else should i do?
Do i need to find and remove anything related to the old GPU?

knickle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
I'm glad to hear that the BIOS update did the trick. Now the fun can begin. :)

The HD7870 and the RX570 both use the same unified driver package as far as I know. If you have already updated the drivers with the CD in the box, you should be good. However, the driver disks in the box are usually outdated. I recommend going to AMD's website and get the latest "Adrenalin" drivers if it's not already installed. 19.2.1 was released about a week ago.

Feb 11, 2019
Is the BIOS current?...... I asked that the first time I replied
Blackbird, as per my previous replies, I THOUGHT it was current. I used @-BIOS to do a "Upgrade from server" where the application grabs the "latest" driver from Gygabyte servers.
After a bit of trawling through their support site, i found another 2 later Bios versions, though both Betas...
I have downloaded and installed the latest Beta.

Thanks for your help.