Jan 28, 2020
Hi,
I am pretty new at graphics cards and hardware in general, I got a RX 570 4GB and I am having trouble seeing any sort of display.

I have put the card in the PCI-E 16x slot and used a dual 4 pin to 8 pin molex adapter to power it making sure my CPU met be requirements of 500W.

Now turning it on, the lights are lit up and the fans spin but there is nothing registering on my display using HDMI.

Total newbie to this so would appreciate any help!

Solution
I'm trying to figure out if your motherboard supports UEFI GPUs, or can support them via a BIOS update. I would recommend doing the BIOS update (if available) first.
https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...000005547/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards.html

If not:
To add a little more to what @InvalidError described, and my own personal experience.

Starting with the R9 series, and definitely with the RX series and Vega, AMD stopped supporting VESA mode 103, which some of the old BIOSes used. It may or may not be related to the move to UEFI, or this may have been a separate problem, I couldn't say.

This burned me when I tried to put an R9 285 into a Dell XPS 8300 (Sandy Bridge era Intel processor) - just...

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
"dual 4 pin to 8 pin molex adapter"
there is the problem the hard drive power cables do not have enough juice to run that card. if the GPU needs an extra 10-15W above what the slot provides the adapter will work, the rx-570 needs far far more from them than they can deliver.

you need a new PSU with the proper power cables already attached.

those adapters are for delivering a little more wattage not 75+W.
the rx570 can consume 200W under stress and there is no way the adapter can deliver 125 watts

Jan 28, 2020
there is the problem the hard drive power cables do not have enough juice to run that card. if the GPU needs an extra 10-15W above what the slot provides the adapter will work, the rx-570 needs far far more from them than they can deliver.

those adapters are for delivering a little more wattage not 75W.

those adapters are for delivering a little more wattage not 75W.

Thank you for this.

Are there any PSU’s you would recommend?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
what are your complete specs? will let us know which power ports you NEED.
where are you, country and currency?
what is the total budget?
my budget go to is the CX-550 or better or the M12II 520 or better. the CX is a newer platform, gray label only. run away from the green labeled CX units.
really any seasonic unit except the S12III is a good one

Jan 28, 2020
what are your complete specs? will let us know which power ports you NEED.
where are you, country and currency?
what is the total budget?
my budget go to is the CX-550 or better or the M12II 520 or better. the CX is a newer platform, gray label only. run away from the green labeled CX units.
really any seasonic unit except the S12III is a good one

Hello there!

Specs are as follows, not sure if you need any more info.

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i5 2320 @ 3.00GHz
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
Intel Corporation DH61CR (LGA1155 CPU 1)
Graphics
VS278 (1920x1080@60Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 710 (NVIDIA)
Storage
931GB Seagate ST1000DM003-1CH162 (SATA )

I'm based in the UK and I want to keep a moderate budget, just so I can make use of the RX-570 for now; not looking to do huge upgrades.

Jan 28, 2020
^
+1

Hello there,
Can you write full PC specs.
Most probably the cause is the cable adapter --> PSU unable to provide.

Hi!

These are my specs:

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i5 2320 @ 3.00GHz
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
Intel Corporation DH61CR (LGA1155 CPU 1)
Graphics
VS278 (1920x1080@60Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 710 (NVIDIA)
Storage
931GB Seagate ST1000DM003-1CH162 (SATA )

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
cool the most important thing the specs did was tell us your total power needs, 95W for the CPU, 200W for the GPU and 150W for everything else. my generous estimate of consumption says 445W at full. older platforms run most efficient at @50%, on newer units the efficiency curve is almost linear and does not matter much.
the CX is good but the TX which is better can be had for a few quid more.
you can get a small CX for 52 pounds or the gold rated TX at 65 pounds.
the extra warranty 2 more years may make the extra 15 pounds worth it. more efficient to, gold vs bronze.
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product...onze-certified-atx-power-supply-cp-9020121-na

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product...d-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020133-na

Jan 28, 2020
cool the most important thing the specs did was tell us your total power needs, 95W for the CPU, 200W for the GPU and 150W for everything else. my generous estimate of consumption says 445W at full. older platforms run most efficient at @50%, on newer units the efficiency curve is almost linear and does not matter much.
the CX is good but the TX which is better can be had for a few quid more.
you can get a small CX for 52 pounds or the gold rated TX at 65 pounds.
the extra warranty 2 more years may make the extra 15 pounds worth it. more efficient to, gold vs bronze.
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product...onze-certified-atx-power-supply-cp-9020121-na

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product...d-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020133-na
Got the TX 550W today set it all up same problem with no signal, any ideas?

I'm trying to figure out if your motherboard supports UEFI GPUs, or can support them via a BIOS update. I would recommend doing the BIOS update (if available) first.
https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...000005547/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards.html

If not:
To add a little more to what @InvalidError described, and my own personal experience.

Starting with the R9 series, and definitely with the RX series and Vega, AMD stopped supporting VESA mode 103, which some of the old BIOSes used. It may or may not be related to the move to UEFI, or this may have been a separate problem, I couldn't say.

This burned me when I tried to put an R9 285 into a Dell XPS 8300 (Sandy Bridge era Intel processor) - just a blank screen, wouldn't boot, wouldn't go to BIOS, nothing, and the LED on the power button, instead of being white in the normal powered-on state, was amber, which is typical of sleep mode.

When I got a Dell XPS 8700 (Haswell era Intel processor), that GPU worked fine.

(note: at the time, some R9 video cards had a BIOS switch that would allow the card to work with the old Legacy BIOS, but mine wasn't one of those)

Now, some motherboard makers were thinking ahead even back then, so the newer AMD cards can work with them. If your machine is an older Dell, HP, etc., some OEM brand, then it's more likely to have a problem with newer video cards. Nvidia, however, seems to have held on to supporting VESA mode 103 for a while longer, as I've read that the Dell XPS 8300 works with Nvidia's 10-series video cards. I don't know about the 16- or 20- series and older BIOSes, though.

Uh, I guess that was extra back-story and a very long-winded way of saying "that's why letting us know everything about your system is important" (erm, I can be quite verbose at times)

Solution