Question RX5700 XT stuttering in 1080p benchmarks and Witcher 3, why?

kingbowcat

Reputable
Oct 9, 2019
Hi I recently upgraded my GPU and power supply from RX580 to RX 5700 XT. At first I just got the new GPU and I experienced a lot of stuttering and crashing. Even tweeking fan speed on Wattman would instantly crash the game. So i decided to upgrade my PSU from 500W bronze to 650 Gold semi modular thinking power may be the issue. Since upgrading I haven't crashed yet but still getting stuttering. Seems weird my old RX580 seemed to perform better than this card. I did crash when I fiddled with undervolting over volting but that could be due to MOBO? Not sure if this shocking mobo could be causing the stuttering but I believe if parts are compatible with it and I don't overclock it shouldn't effect performance?

My CPU is Ryzen 5 2600x I don't think this is the issue as i've seen videos with Ryzen 5 2600 combining well with the RX 5700 XT. Yes I have upgraded to both recommended update and tried the recent patch software wise. Ive also ran several benchmarks. On heaven unigine I get 5200 odd where as my old RX580 got 4400 in same test (high)Is my GPU under performing or am I bottle necking somewhere? Just seems weird theres barely any performance increase from RX580 to RX5700 XT on witcher 3. Below is all the components of build.

AMD Ryzen 5 2600x
RX5700XT
Team T253LE240g 240gb SSD
Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD
2x 16gb DIMM DDR4 @2400
GA-A320M-S2H-CF Motherboard
EVGA 650w QG

My monitor is a 75hz one with 1ms response and AMD synced. I know its not ideal but for 1080p gaming it shouldn't be causing the issues.

Im guessing my GPU could be broken or should I send card back and go for something that would be more compatible with my system like the Palit Geforce RTX 2060 super Jeststream

Any other recommendations would be cool GPU substitute wise or any other component that sticks out to you that could be causing the stuttering. In future I will probably get a 2k monitor so keep this in mind.

Edit* Heating is not an issue.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/20800695 shows no obvious flaws yet I get these performance issues,

Last edited:

kingbowcat

Reputable
Oct 9, 2019
I did use DDU after looking on previous issues with this card. Didn't make a difference to stuttering and I think I only had chrome open. Was a few things open in the tray but nothing big. Will check running programs on next bench. So you don't think it's a card issue? And nothing to do with mobo?

Before PSU change I was getting regular lost signal on my screen while playing Witcher 3. Weirdly before this one mission everytime so I did the mission with old gpu. Wish I saved it before to see if new PSU stopped crashes.

Last edited: