[SOLVED] Rx5700xt issue.

Nov 9, 2019
Hi people.
Im having trouble booting into windows after installing my new rx5700xt. I previously used my Ryzen 2200g Vega graphics flawlessly. Today I installed my rx5700xt and its never booted into windows only into bios. I took out the graphics card are tried to go back to using my Ryzen Vega 8 Apu graphics but again my system failed to boot into windows. It only booted into bios. I've cleared CMOS by taking out the battery to no avail. My Sata hard drive is identified in my bios and is my boot drive. All my pc components are identified in bios. Any help in getting my new Rx 5700 xt working would be appreciated or even getting my Ryzen CPU graphics working again.
Cheers
My system specs are..
Ryzen 3 2200g
8gb ddr4
SATA 1tb HDD boot
750 w PSU
Win 10
Rx 5700xt (over kill for this system I know)

Thanks in advance

Solution
What is the EXACT model of your "750w PSU"?

When you installed the new graphics card, did you move the display cable to one of the outputs on the graphics card? If it is a different TYPE of display cable than what you were using with the iGPU, did you check to see that your monitor is either manually set to that type of input or that your monitor has an auto detect feature for input type? Some do not, especially if they are much older monitors or TVs.

If you have the display cable connected to the graphics card, and not the motherboard, and if you don't have a turd of a power supply, then I would try doing a hard reset of the BIOS as follows.

BIOS Hard Reset procedure

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off...
What is the EXACT model of your "750w PSU"?

When you installed the new graphics card, did you move the display cable to one of the outputs on the graphics card? If it is a different TYPE of display cable than what you were using with the iGPU, did you check to see that your monitor is either manually set to that type of input or that your monitor has an auto detect feature for input type? Some do not, especially if they are much older monitors or TVs.

If you have the display cable connected to the graphics card, and not the motherboard, and if you don't have a turd of a power supply, then I would try doing a hard reset of the BIOS as follows.

BIOS Hard Reset procedure

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes, press the power button on the case for 30 seconds. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

If you had to remove the graphics card you can now reinstall it, but remember to reconnect your power cables if there were any attached to it as well as your display cable.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

In some cases it may be necessary when you go into the BIOS after a reset, to load the Optimal default or Default values and then save settings, to actually get the hardware tables to reset in the boot manager.

It is probably also worth mentioning that for anything that might require an attempt to DO a hard reset in the first place, it is a GOOD IDEA to try a different type of display as many systems will not work properly for some reason with displayport configurations. It is worth trying HDMI if you are having no display or lack of visual ability to enter the BIOS, or no signal messages.

Solution