[SOLVED] RX5700XT + Samsung Q80A - FreeSync not supported

danihell

Prominent
Nov 14, 2020
Hi all,

I can't turn on my FreeSync.... i really don't know what to do.

My GPU and TV are compatible, and i put on the reccomended "game mode" in my Q80A.
All drivers updated...
I've tried both hdmi 2.0 and 2.1, without any success.
I really don't know what to do.

Thank you for any help !!
Daniel

MasterMadBones

Distinguished
The RX 5700 XT does not support HDMI 2.1. That means you will always be limited to 4K60 with that card. Reading Samsung's manual, it looks like FreeSync only works when the refresh rate ("display mode") is 120Hz, so you'll have to drop the resolution to 1080p or 1440p.

danihell

Prominent
Nov 14, 2020
The RX 5700 XT does not support HDMI 2.1. That means you will always be limited to 4K60 with that card. Reading Samsung's manual, it looks like FreeSync only works when the refresh rate ("display mode") is 120Hz, so you'll have to drop the resolution to 1080p or 1440p.

Thank you very much! I will try.

btw, i've read the freesync was made in order to bring a 60hz similar to 120hz.

If i drop resolution anyway i can t work at 120hz, but i can try to see if i can put freesync mode on.

danihell

Prominent
Nov 14, 2020
no doesn not work.... i really don't understand now. there is some software for testing ?

MasterMadBones

Distinguished
You can change the refesh rate in Windows display settings, so look there first.

There may be another reason for this, which is that HDMI Variable Refresh Rate is only officially supported from 2.1 onwards, but many displays do support FreeSync even if they don't support HDMI 2.1.