Question RX580 Crashing - Artifacting - Wattman error - Is it hardware orsoftware?

Jun 22, 2019
Hello all. I'm not usually one for forums, but this time I'm desperate here.

I have the Asus Strix RX 580 8GB in my system, that I have recently installed instead in my gtx 1050.
The card is near new, not OC, has stock BIOS, never been mined etc. Barely a month old.

After I installed it the problem is, ON idle it would randomly artifact on me. Red pixelated patterns across screen, and then everything crashes. Once recovered I get the "Wattman has reset... " error.

The keyword here is on "idle". So , in windows, desktop or going through folders, browsing the net, etc... NO gaming, so the video card barely gets utilised during the crash.

Interesting thing is, while gaming it NEVER crashes on me. I have also used various tests / stress from Furmark , 3D mark, etc and it never skipped a beat. Card doesn't get hot or anything.

So after some googling this Wattman crash error supposedly is common? One thing I found that I had in common with some Googled symptoms is, the Asus tweak II clashing with the Wattan. Ok, I un-installed that. But issue remained.
The most annoying thing is, that it is so random. It just went 4 days without a hiccup and then before, bang, just opened up Chrome, looked at few sites and then the red pixels of death decided to spit at me again... Wattman crashed , again. So I cant even predict or force it do crash.

After taking the nVidia card out, I ran the DDU, and removed all present drivers ( or so I thought). So after being fed up today, I ran it again and BANG it found some Nvidia residue left behind. Ran DDU again and cleaned everything and started from scratch. And so far so good.

If it persists, I'm at wits end. What could this be?? Hardware or software??? Could some of those nvidia leftovers really cause the card to artifact?

I don't know where to look any more. I'm running the latest drivers for everything. And YES my card is new but i really want to try everything before sending it back as i'd like to avoid the warranty turnaround if possible, i really need this pc running.

Thanks ahead.

I'm running a R5 2600, 16gb of 3200 RAM, prime pro 470, W10 Pro, Silverstone 850W PSU, etc...

Jun 22, 2019
Mine is completely opposite. I only crash when I game. At idle watching movies even stress test it's fine. The minute I game boom computer shuts down. I can even go eyefinity with 4720x1440 resolution and watch movies do anything but minute I game book shutdown. Tried different drivers. Tried reinstalling windows and then only display driver. I stall a few games boom crashes. I also get wattman error. I use a ROG-STRIX-RX580-T8G-GAMING though. Can't seem to solve it. I pop my old hd7770 back in and have no issues. I used ddu also with no results. Even though new install of windows would have no drivers period. Stress test I never see gpu go above like 80 or 85 celsisus. It idles at 30 celsisu

Jun 22, 2019
Bought a new psu. Corsair vs650. I'm not truly a fan of the be line and also it being not modular but the price was about $30 US off on sale. Hooked everything up and haven't had a crash yet. I did though run DDU and install the Radeon 19.6.2 June 17th driver. The only issue I have with that driver is the eyefinity support on one monitor is out of whack. But that is fine with me. I got rid of the Asus GPU Tweak as the Radeon Wattman is working just fine.

Reactions: EddieMaiden

TRENDING THREADS