[SOLVED] RX580 Gigabyte comes up black

REALOldNick

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2013
Win 7 64 bit sp1. Before I replace the card with the old one so I can post my PC system details, in case there is something daft I have done.

I have just installed a Gigabyte RX 580 and when I switch on thr PC I get black screen. The card is in a slot that I think is a PCI 16, but te computer is getting on, so it could be an obsolete version. Physiclly it matches the card.

Does the RX580 need extra power leads ? "Help" says "If necessary, plug in the power lead.".......then helpfully shows two power leads offered up to the board (it's VERY generic). There is what looks like a socket that could accept, but I have nothing available that I would attach with confidence.

I am using the HDMI outlet on the card to HDMI in on the monitor. I have tested the card and cable on another monitor that I know worked with the old card, with negative results. There are several buttons on the back of the purpose I am not sure of, but made any difference.

Thanks for any help.

Most rx 580s require an 8 Pin or 2 x 6 pin pci express cables.

Its a card that draws between 150-200w so external power is required.

The pci express slot only offers 75w power to any gpu, I assume your old gpu was entirely slot powered.
It won't work without it.

We need the rest of your system specs - especially the psu model to be of any assistance

REALOldNick

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2013
Thanks for not chewing me out for my rather vapid post, Guys!

This may well be the solution....Is there a way for me to post a picture? I have a shot of a plug that fits the card (needs 8 pins, thanks for that)_ , only it has 6 pins (2 rows of 3), then a pigtail with another 2 pins. ( : : :------: ) As I say I am leery of just plugging it in: I am a guy who can pull the one dead match out of a box full of live ones. :(

Thanks again. This is reportedly going to speed up my photo processing 20-fold and I need that.

Nick

PSU: Antek TruePower 550

System info
OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name NICK-PC
System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model P55A-UD3R
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 870 @ 2.93GHz, 2927 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. F13, 17/09/2010
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume4
Locale Australia
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
User Name Nick-PC\Nick
Time Zone W. Australia Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 7.99 GB
Available Physical Memory 6.18 GB
Total Virtual Memory 16.0 GB
Available Virtual Memory 13.9 GB
Page File Space 7.99 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Wolfshadw

Titan
You need to use a third party site like imgur.com to host your images. You can then post the link here.

only it has 6 pins (2 rows of 3), then a pigtail with another 2 pins

This is called a 6+2 pin PCIE power cable. With all 8 pins held together, it should fit into the power port of your graphics card.

AC-006-CNONAN-P1_a8bf56c4f1d747bdb1485a4e19a975a9.jpg

-Wolf sends

REALOldNick

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2013
Thanks mate! Yes it does fit. It just looked a little gimcrack and I was careful

So. Soldier on to the next step. Seriously the installation instructions on these are so silly. Just a few more words would make so much difference for so little cost.

I will report.

You guys are great, and know so much. I do not get here much, but it's always good.

Nick

REALOldNick

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2013
Well, everything is up and running. Of course it fought tooth and nail to the bitter end, but now it's all good and I can see a definite improvement in my photo processing speed.

So a serious Happy New Year to all who guided me. You have made mine much more contented. (y)

Thanks

Nick