Question Rx580(new) + cx430 artifacts

Jul 8, 2019
Hi, I'm having problems with a rx580 mk2 8gb from msi, i just bought it but dunno if it came defective or my psu corsair cx430 is not enough for it.
I'm on a tight budget so i dunno if i should buy a corsair cx500 or a vs650 to see if it can solve the problems, or just make use of rma on the rx580.

When i turn on the pc, the screen is all messed up, until drivers load, then its apparently alright. But if i try to run a game or video the screen turns off and on again, sometimes stays off.

My pc is a ryzen 5 1600 +8 gb 2400 ram

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1ev0oh7dGQ

Have a look see, read the comments in post. I'm not sure the RX 580 or 590 is fixable. I had three gpus over six weeks couldn't get any of them to be stable. So I bought a 1660 TI. Most of the potential fixes I tried are in the youtube comments. None of them worked.

I hope you have a better outcome than I did. Three graphics cards that don't work and then swapping to NVIDIA--lot of time and money wasted there.

Greg N

Reactions: Alan Christopher
Jul 8, 2019
And by the way I took out a perfectly good Seasonic 850 W and put in a Seasonic 1300 watt and this was very misguided on my part. The RX 580's problems have nothing to do with psu in most cases, IMO. Do a google search on RX 580 and "crashes" "black screen" "green screen" etc. And you'll get an eyeful.
Thanks for your reply. I was about to buy a new psu. Guess i will try to get a refund and get a 1660 instead.

So sad these motherboards are having such problems.

Jul 8, 2019
The CX430 is an old style unit. Granted it was the best of the CX, but the CX in general were not designed for high draw gaming pc's. Even Corsair said as much.

So you have that against you.

Rx580 recommended psu size is 550w.
I did some research before buying, apparently my system can draw 380w under heavy load.
I know its not recommended to use a 430w on this system, but would it cause the artifacts on boot screen, without any real load in it? Shouldn't it happen only when the gpu draws power on a game or app? I mean, even under heavy load, it shouldn't happen, if the psu can really output 430w, i think?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The CX430 carries a 12v rail rated at 32A. That's 384w, if the unit was brand new. Capacitors degrade over time, the cheaper the cap, the faster and more vicious that can be, so you can definitely expect a 5yr old psu to have lost @ 10-20w functionality on the top end. No big deal normally as psus are generally over-specd for the use, but when you figure a Rx580 can draw 230w by itself, add another 100w for cpu and 50-100w for the rest of the pc, you are looking at @430-480w maxed out, of which you'll generally not use more than about 70%, or @ 300-350w.

That's a lot of wattage on a 12v rail that's honestly no longer at 384w, but probably closer to 350w.

Basically that psu is stretched very thin when under such loads, and the slightest hiccup is going to create issues.

But not artifacts (barely ever) . Blue or black screens yes, freezes yes, not artifacts. 99% of the time artifacts are caused by bad/overstressed/overheated vram. It's a gpu issue.
The remaining 1% could possibly be attributed to the psu, if it's that stressed out and out of spec and supplying incorrect voltages to the gpu.

Out of the 2 choices listed, by name alone, the VS650 is a considerably better equipped unit. It's the newer, revamped and upgraded psu, (black/silver lettering) not the older blocky colored lettering like the Green CX 430. The CX500 is more than likely the same old series as the 430, and listed as 'builder' which was about as cheap as it got, mass produced junk.

Stick with the VS. Fix power issues first, if that doesn't clean up the artifacts, check drivers, reinstall if necessary, clean install. If that doesn't work you may need to rma the card.

Jul 8, 2019
The CX430 carries a 12v rail rated at 32A. That's 384w, if the unit was brand new. Capacitors degrade over time, the cheaper the cap, the faster and more vicious that can be, so you can definitely expect a 5yr old psu to have lost @ 10-20w functionality on the top end. No big deal normally as psus are generally over-specd for the use, but when you figure a Rx580 can draw 230w by itself, add another 100w for cpu and 50-100w for the rest of the pc, you are looking at @430-480w maxed out, of which you'll generally not use more than about 70%, or @ 300-350w.

That's a lot of wattage on a 12v rail that's honestly no longer at 384w, but probably closer to 350w.

Basically that psu is stretched very thin when under such loads, and the slightest hiccup is going to create issues.

But not artifacts (barely ever) . Blue or black screens yes, freezes yes, not artifacts. 99% of the time artifacts are caused by bad/overstressed/overheated vram. It's a gpu issue.
The remaining 1% could possibly be attributed to the psu, if it's that stressed out and out of spec and supplying incorrect voltages to the gpu.

Out of the 2 choices listed, by name alone, the VS650 is a considerably better equipped unit. It's the newer, revamped and upgraded psu, (black/silver lettering) not the older blocky colored lettering like the Green CX 430. The CX500 is more than likely the same old series as the 430, and listed as 'builder' which was about as cheap as it got, mass produced junk.

Stick with the VS. Fix power issues first, if that doesn't clean up the artifacts, check drivers, reinstall if necessary, clean install. If that doesn't work you may need to rma the card.
Ok, so its unlikely the cx430 is causing the artifacts, but it will cause me problems anyway even if i get a 1660 right? My best option would be to buy the vs650 and test, then if it dont work i can make the rma on the gpu, hoping to get a good one. because i cant afford both the psu and 1660 price difference.

Thanks for the very valuable info, u being really helpful.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
For a 1660, the CX430 is fine. The 1660/ti only draws @ 120w vrs the 230w of the Rx580. Minimum recommended psu for a 1660 is 430w.

So if you returned the Rx, and got the gtx instead, you'd not need to replace the psu. It'd be a good idea sooner or later to do so, but there's now no immediate pressure to do so.

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
Well fwiw let me state that I have nothing against a top notch psu. And given people's tendencies to change gpu cards and what not I think it is better to go bigger than smaller. BUT, I think whatever issue the RX 580 has is not a psu issue. At least not one that a Seasonic 850 or Seasonic 1300W, both just a few weeks old, could solve.

Jul 8, 2019
Okay, I will go with the gtx1660. more performance/less prone to problems, and i wont need to buy another psu for now, assuming its not defective.(i believe it isn't, i was using with my gtx1050 just a few days ago)

Again, thanks for the help!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There have been multiple reports of issues with the 590's. There's a senior mod here whom is extremely well versed in psus and building pc's in general whom had 3 in a row all fail in a matter of days. The 580's have been out long enough to have any reliability bugs in general ironed out and fixed, but there's always at least 1 lemon in any batch. And that applies to anything from the fans to psu to SSDs.

Jul 8, 2019
There have been multiple reports of issues with the 590's. There's a senior mod here whom is extremely well versed in psus and building pc's in general whom had 3 in a row all fail in a matter of days. The 580's have been out long enough to have any reliability bugs in general ironed out and fixed, but there's always at least 1 lemon in any batch. And that applies to anything from the fans to psu to SSDs.
I changed my mind and decided i will buy a new psu first. Doing some research i found out a "xfx xtr2 550w 80 plus gold" for the same price as the vs650. Sadly i couldn't find much info on this model, only the "xtr" model. Would this be a better option?

Jul 8, 2019
Ok guys, I bought the PSU "xfx xtr2 550w gold+" and received it today, the psu is very nice, and looks of very high quality.
But the problems still persists. i will send it back to the seller today, and see if i can get a refund and buy a 1660ti, or change it for a working one.
Edit: I also did a clean install of the drivers (removed them with specific software i found on guru3d site before)
But it's not a drivers problem, because the screen is messed up before the drivers load, on bios or boot screen and windows logo.
Also worth mentioning that i tested with a old motherboard/cpu i have, and its the same.

Last edited: