Question RX580 problem (again)

agiantfatman

Commendable
Feb 26, 2019
Greetings again, all! Thanks to everyone who views this post!

I upgraded to an RX580 a few months ago, and have had a fair amount of trouble with it. Please refer to this thread and the solution (rolling back to 19.1.1) https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/amd-driver-issues.3456854/.

My PC was working fine since March 3rd until this past Sunday. It went blue screen showing the failed driver/hardware issue again. This morning it would not enter sleep mode, but turned off the display while keeping the system running. I rebooted my PC with the power button and it went straight to black screen. I unplugged my PC, turned off the psu, plugged it back in, clicked on psu, and got it to boot to the screen which notified me that it did not shut down correctly. It entered Windows 7 properly, and I am using it now, but I can only dread that it will blue screen on me again.

I have not installed any windows updates until this problem recurred, or installed any other software that might conflict with my graphics card drivers. I have also made sure that my RX580 is still utilizing the 19.1.1 driver. My friend at work told me to check my existing hardware for errors, including my psu and motherboard. My psu is working fine on my friend's spare PC, but I have not tried my motherboard. Might this be a sign that my motherboard is starting to die on me? I've been using it in this PC for 3.5 years with no problems until I installed my RX580, so I am hesitant to point my finger at it. Please help if ya can, and I am very thankful for your support.

EDIT: forgot to post this error message:
Problem: Video hardware error
Files that help describe the problem:
WD-20190303-1722.dmp
sysdata.xml
WERInternalMetadata.xml

View a temporary copy of these files

Lutfij

Titan
Which version of the OS are you on? Are you on the latest BIOS for your motherboard? Have you also tried breadboarding the system and then work with a similar PSU's wattage but of similar brand/reliability to rule out a faulty PSU? At about 3.5 years, the PSU will be outputting less than 550W to the entire system with an RX 580 in the system.

agiantfatman

Commendable
Feb 26, 2019
Thanks for the response, Lutfij!

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium SP1. I will try and update BIOS when I get home. I can't find the BIOS update for my h97 pro4, but I found out how to use instant flash to run the update in UEFI. I can't breadboard because my buddy went out of town for 2 weeks, and I have no other psu to test this with :( yeah it's pretty old so I can definitely see the psu being the problem.