[SOLVED] Rx580 screams after OS Reinstall

ZonalSilver

Commendable
Feb 13, 2019
I have an ASUS Rx580 8gb Top Gaming Graphics card, has 3 fans on the card. I used to be able to play games without a probem, it never crossed 50C, now whenever I have a load on it and it ramps the clock speed up for any game the fans starts screaming until I shut the game off, temp around 75C. Fortnite, GTA V, even Minecraft. I would think an Rx580 can run minecraft well. The ony thing that changed was I put an SSD in and redownloaded the OS. I goofed and got my drivers from ASUS first, then tried AMD and Its still doing it, I've been through 4 drivers thinking that was the problem.

Solution
Maybe ditch GPU Tweak II. Sounds like that's your problem.

Also sounds you might want to load up a stress tester (like FurMark) that generates a constant GPU load to investigate your frequency variations. Games rarely represent a constant/unwavering load on the GPU, but if you're power-throttling to 85% of your advertised frequency, you're getting worse performance than an RX570.

That 1425MHz on my RX480 is rock solid all day long. Never changes, even on a straight stress test. I rarely run it at that, because of heat/noise (obviously not terrible as you can see, but...), however it will do it when I need to squeeze every last drop out of it to drive modern games on my 1440p 144Hz monitor. 9% higher frequency isn't nothing.
Most GPUs adjust their fan speeds to target 75C operating temperature.

Instead of saying "screaming", please tell us what the fan(s) rpm is.

Seems odd that you were seeing 50C while gaming before (the GPU fans shouldn't be spinning below 55C). While you can use AMD Frame Rate Target Control (FRTC) or Chill to play minecraft at 60-100fps with the GPU fans off, it sounds like you probably didn't have that set before this....

ZonalSilver

Commendable
Feb 13, 2019
I don't have a monitor for my GPU Fan RPM, but It is running at 99% speed at 67C in fortnite epic settings. The game is capped at 60FPS

I've tried using the Chill feature with no difference, the GPU fans wont turn on until about 55C llike you've said. Everything below that they won't run.

Although I turned my 0db feature off in GPU Tweak II and my temps raised from 63C to 73C, staying between 73C and 78C in game, Fan Speed dropped from 99% to 48% steady.

Since I was already doing some testing for this thread, I plugged in 1425MHz/1175mV (which is the max voltage my vBIOS allows) on my MSI RX480 8GB GamingX. Ambient temp 23.5C, Case = Silverstone PS07 with 2x120mm front intake and a 120mm AIO exhausting in the back.

FurMark for >10 minutes = 75C @ 1490rpm fans (37%)

ZonalSilver

Commendable
Feb 13, 2019
Usually my in game GPU Core Clock Speed is 1380Mhz, but is occasionally drops to 1200Mhz. Memory Clock is 8200Mhz, and Memory usage isn't even 50%.

The biggest difference I've noticed is when I turn the 0db on and off, that's the only thing that stops the fans running at 99%.

I looked into the fan curve and plan, and it should only be at 80% if it's 80C or higher, never at 99%.

After several series of tests, my assuption is the default 0db Fan Speed Plan is messed up. I can change it to whatever I choose to do and it follows suit correctly, but when it's set to 0db it will max out the fan speed while under any load

Maybe ditch GPU Tweak II. Sounds like that's your problem.

Also sounds you might want to load up a stress tester (like FurMark) that generates a constant GPU load to investigate your frequency variations. Games rarely represent a constant/unwavering load on the GPU, but if you're power-throttling to 85% of your advertised frequency, you're getting worse performance than an RX570.

That 1425MHz on my RX480 is rock solid all day long. Never changes, even on a straight stress test. I rarely run it at that, because of heat/noise (obviously not terrible as you can see, but...), however it will do it when I need to squeeze every last drop out of it to drive modern games on my 1440p 144Hz monitor. 9% higher frequency isn't nothing.

Last edited:
Solution