[SOLVED] RX580 screen tearing, low fps in certain games

Mar 12, 2020
So, I wanted to try out Warzone and I could barely run it, had screen tearing, and FPS lag. This happened with The Fallen Order when I was playing it -- it was running smoothly but then started screen tearing, fps drops, and texture errors. I wanted to see if it persisted on other games, so I tried OW and lo behold I was getting screen tearing, but no FPS drops.

1 game I have been playing is the DBZ: Kakarot game and it runs smoothly, no problems.

Would this be a hardware issue, or my monitor?

Specs

Ryzen 5 1600
RX580
16gb of RAM
Monitor is an Acer KG241 - connected through HDMI.

Thank y'all so much!

Solution
Crashed? Fullscreen opt off won't compromise the system itself. I suspect something else is going on, possibly state of OS and drivers or overheating hardware. Check cpu & gpu temps while gaming. Use Msi Afterburner to display stats. There's a YouTube video showing how to setup Msi Afterburner OSD if don't know how.

Have you done a full clean install of Windows on the hardware it's on? I don't mean reset, a full reinstall if Windows was transplanted from another system?

Do you use programs to update drivers like driver booster? These programs can be bad. Only get driver's from the manufacturer's website.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Your monitor has Freesync and pretty sure Amd allows it over Hdmi. If not then look toward a Displayport cable.

Another trick to try is enable Vsync in Adrenaline and limit fps 1 or 2 below refresh rate to help decrease input lag, either via game if game has an fps limiter or in Adrenaline.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2020
Your monitor has Freesync and pretty sure Amd allows it over Hdmi. If not then look toward a Displayport cable.

Another trick to try is enable Vsync in Adrenaline and limit fps 1 or 2 below refresh rate to help decrease input lag, either via game if game has an fps limiter or in Adrenaline.
to have a look what the problem could be:
run userbenchmark.com and post the link of your result

I have enabled v-sync, freesync, etc.. I still get FPS lag/drops in games, and screen tearing still persists.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/25438305

Mar 12, 2020
Try disable fullscreen optimisation in the compatibility tab of the game's exe.

Freesync is definitely enabled in the monitor osd?

Turning off the optimisation let me play for a few, but eventually crashed on Warzone with a DX6068 error. I still was getting FPS lag, even tho everything is off and I have it turned on low. Have not tried OW as I uninstalled it.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Crashed? Fullscreen opt off won't compromise the system itself. I suspect something else is going on, possibly state of OS and drivers or overheating hardware. Check cpu & gpu temps while gaming. Use Msi Afterburner to display stats. There's a YouTube video showing how to setup Msi Afterburner OSD if don't know how.

Have you done a full clean install of Windows on the hardware it's on? I don't mean reset, a full reinstall if Windows was transplanted from another system?

Do you use programs to update drivers like driver booster? These programs can be bad. Only get driver's from the manufacturer's website.

Solution
Mar 12, 2020

I was just saying it Warzone was crashing just as before, not because of the opt off.

I used MSI to monitor my GPU, highest it was at was 65. I have done multiple clean installs on this computer/ssd - I could try and see if that would work as well. I only get drivers from the Adrenalin update, or manually download them.

TRENDING THREADS