[SOLVED] rx580 upgrade not working

May 28, 2020
hello, i have just upgraded my gpu from a r9280x to a rx580. i have had no problems on physical install but it doesnt seem to be working when its booting up. it posts fine and has no problems there but i cant get it to display anything. update my bios but that didnt work either! any ideas?

Solution
I concur with @alceryes - in fact, I would recommend, with your old card installed:
  1. Download the latest DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller)
  2. Download the latest WHQL drivers for the RX 580 from AMD's website (that seems to be 20.4.2 from May 26th)
  3. Reboot into Safe Mode
  4. Run DDU, choosing to delete the AMD graphic drivers, and specifically Clean and Shut Down
  5. When it shuts down, remove the R9 280x and install the RX 580
  6. Boot up
  7. Immediately install the Radeon drivers you downloaded in step 2.

Everything should be fine at that point.
May 28, 2020
For starters, list all system specs, including your PSU.

Are you plugging in the aux power connector for the GPU?
Okay, it's a 16gb ram with fx6300 (soon to be fx8350) with a 750w silver rated PSU currently running an r9280x on windows 10.

And for the power I just have both the 6pin and 8 pin from the PSU plugged in.

Many thanks!

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I concur with @alceryes - in fact, I would recommend, with your old card installed:
  2. Download the latest WHQL drivers for the RX 580 from AMD's website (that seems to be 20.4.2 from May 26th)
  3. Reboot into Safe Mode
  4. Run DDU, choosing to delete the AMD graphic drivers, and specifically Clean and Shut Down
  6. Boot up

Solution
May 28, 2020
  3. Reboot into Safe Mode
  6. Boot up
Okay brilliant! I'll have to give it a go in a few hours but thanks, haven't had much luck searching through the forums for this issue!

May 28, 2020
It's a brand new one! I've tried it on a second setup and am having no luck there either! Tried all different ports that I could, but still getting fans go on and no post issued which is just confusing! I'm going to put it down to a faulty card!

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Yeah . . you don't usually get faulty cards, but they DO happen on occasion. If it's giving the same symptoms on two different systems, that seems like it's the card. In a last desperate attempt, I might ask "try another HDMI (or DP) cable?"