Apr 22, 2020
Hello

I have RX580 xt 8GB XFX GPU. It came with mining BIOS as default. I noticed after 2 days and switched to normal BIOS, which rises the GPU clock from 1130MHz to 1366MHz.

And here's the problem. With higher clocks, I start to see higher temperatures, but that's fine. But the GPU started to make weird noises when under load. The noises starts when temperature reaches cca. 65°C. It also immediately stops and starts, when I switch off and on the game tab.
Could it be possibly coil whining? I'm 100% sure it's not the fan.

Here's the sound (lauder IRL)

View: https://soundcloud.com/user-62340273/33438a

Solution
Thanks for reply
I'm like 90% sure :D
But seriously. It must be GPU, because when I switch off the tab with game, it stops. And when I switch it on again, it starts "buzzing" again really immediately.

I found cheese sollution tho. I can rise RMPs on GPU fans, so it drowns out the weird noise :D
Switching the game on and off toggles the 250w+ card on and off the load on the PSU. Usually it is the PSU with larger coils in it, that whines prominently when under load.

Think of sprinkling the grass with a water hose, now you try to regulate the amount of water down to 10% off of constant flow by fully opening and fully closing the tap very fast to achieve 1/10 average. The hose will get tensed and loosened and slightly move when...
Apr 22, 2020
Are you sure it comes from the card and not the PSU? It is indeed coil whine.
Thanks for reply
But seriously. It must be GPU, because when I switch off the tab with game, it stops. And when I switch it on again, it starts "buzzing" again really immediately.

I found cheese sollution tho. I can rise RMPs on GPU fans, so it drowns out the weird noise :D

Thanks for reply

Switching the game on and off toggles the 250w+ card on and off the load on the PSU. Usually it is the PSU with larger coils in it, that whines prominently when under load.

Think of sprinkling the grass with a water hose, now you try to regulate the amount of water down to 10% off of constant flow by fully opening and fully closing the tap very fast to achieve 1/10 average. The hose will get tensed and loosened and slightly move when you are working the tap, right? That is very simplified switching PSU working principle. Those coils are usually fixed but do get loose and if they vibrate in a specific frequency range - you can hear the sound.

If you do not care about the noise - it is safe to leave it be

Last edited:
Solution
Apr 22, 2020
Thanks for the insight. Never thought about it.
In the case, PSU causing this, do you think, I was just unlucky with this particular piece? I still have 1week to return it and buy different PSU.
But do you think It can solve the issue? Now I have Corsair CV650. I read that Corsair is notorious or loud whine coil sound :(

TRENDING THREADS