Question RX590 Not powering up anymore, but it does power up in my old PC

Oct 26, 2020
Hi Guys,

I'm having a very weird problem that I cannot explain. So I have build a PC about a year ago and it worked seamlessly and perfectly, never had any issues with it. I don't overclock, I don't game (ok occasionally I do), I make music with my machine.

So let me first show you guys the specs:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X WRAITH
Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P
GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 590 Nitro+
Memory: Corsair Vengeance D4 32GB 3200-16 RGB Pro
Power Supply: Corsair RM850i

Now as I said I never had issues with this PC, up until last thursday. I was finished working on my computer so I shut it down, before it shut down the fans of the GPU were blowing REALLY hard for a short period (1-2 secs) and then it shut down. The next day I turned my computer on and my monitor stated: "No signal", I thought well no biggie, just hit the power switch again and lets go! Nope, not working anymore. So I started doing all the basic tests;

• Changed the position of the Memory DIMMS
  • Changed the position of the graphics card
  • Tried another power supply
  • Restart CMOS
  • Try DVI instead of HDMI
Nothing worked and my screen/monitor kept on telling me "no signal". Unfortunately my computer doesn't have a system speaker so I cannot hear the BEEPS, so I am totally blind without a screen...

Then because I thought it had to be the GPU that was causing this issue, I dusted off my old computer, that has a Gigabyte X58A-UD5 motherboard, and I tried the GPU in that machine... Guess what: Boom I actually can boot, get into windows and the GPU seems to work just fine?!

Well, must be the motherboard then right? So I called the store and told them what issue I was facing and they started a RMA procedure. Today I received a new motherboard, and I just layed it down on a anti-static bag and quicky build a minimal setup:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X WRAITH
Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P (NEW)
GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 590 Nitro+
Memory: Corsair Vengeance D4 32GB 3200-16 RGB Pro
Power Supply: Corsair RM850i

Bumped the system on........ No Signal. My mind is blown at the moment... I took the GPU out and put it back into my old computer the one with the Gigabyte X58A-UD5, and right now I am typing this using my old computer with my RX590.

So the system worked for a year, same setup, (I didn't update BIOS version or anything as I am not into that stuff anymore) stopped working out of the blue.

Could it be that the GPU crashed for some reason and that it is now incompatible with newer types of motherboards? I ran a GPU-Z so that you can see what my OLD PC tells me about the RX590. (see attached)
1598.png

2397.png

3136.png

To me it looks like the combination of: RX590 with my Asus X570-P motherboard... Something changed with the graphics card that causes it not to work anymore. Unfortunately I don't have a GPU that I can test on my Asus Prime X570-P.... (I only have an old PCI-e 2.0 card)

Another interesting note: The fans of my RX590 start spinning right away in my old system whenever I turn the system on, they do not spin at all when the RX590 is installed on the X570-P motherboard...

Do you guys have any idea's?

Kindest regards,
HausNL

Last edited:

Exia00

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2013
Got to ask for your RX 590 when you bought it was it new or used cause if it was used when you bought it could of been used for mining and the thermal paste could of been close to being finished and honestly if you can i would still crack it open to see if the paste on their is still in a liquid like form (not hard like a rock) and if you also have non conductive thermal paste to just replace it and see what happens after.

Oct 26, 2020
Got to ask for your RX 590 when you bought it was it new or used cause if it was used when you bought it could of been used for mining and the thermal paste could of been close to being finished and honestly if you can i would still crack it open to see if the paste on their is still in a liquid like form (not hard like a rock) and if you also have non conductive thermal paste to just replace it and see what happens after.

It was brand new as far as I know. But the card works in my old computer? It won't work anymore in the computer where it belonged to for almost a year.

Exia00

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2013
Could be an issue with your motherboard then if it works fine in another system.
the only way to test it out is using another GPU in your current system and see if it works and if it doesn't maybe the PCIE slot fried some how.

Oct 26, 2020
Could be an issue with your motherboard then if it works fine in another system.
the only way to test it out is using another GPU in your current system and see if it works and if it doesn't maybe the PCIE slot fried some how.

I have a new motherboard already (same model), and the issue is exactly the same.