Question RX6800 not recognized when used with PCIe riser

Apr 1, 2021
I built a new mining rig, with 6x RX6800 GPUs, all connected with a riser to a MSI Z170A Gamin Pro mainboard and 2 PSU (HX1200 and RM1000x). However, one of the cards, the Powercolor Red Devil RX 6800 is not recognized by Windows 10. If I connect the card on another PC to the mainboard directly, everything works fine.
Whenever I connect it with the riser, all the lights of the riser and card are on, but the fans don't even spin on startup.
What I tried so far:
  • switched riser with one of the ones working with another card, and even bought another type of riser
  • switched cables (even connected two seperate PCIe cables to the card and a seperate PCIe to the riser)
  • disconnected all cards and tried with the Red Devil only
  • changed the BIOS PCIe settings from auto to 3, 2 and 1
So I ran out of ideas. Anybody has the same problem, with a solution?

Reactions: Bassman999
Apr 1, 2021
I have the exact same card down to the model e ven
I have an NR200 case and decided to put it one the riser for side mount.
No post, brief fan spin only.
Bought a LINKUP pcie 4.0 riser and now it works. Im gong to do more testing but I saw artifacts in MAD MAX, but it might be the game itself

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/pcie-4-0-riser-cables.3695611/#post-22265769
Thanks for your help. I thought about this as well, but it would be difficult to use it with my frame. Maybe if I buy the 20cm version.

Reactions: Bassman999

Bassman999

Prominent
Feb 27, 2021
Thanks for your help. I thought about this as well, but it would be difficult to use it with my frame. Maybe if I buy the 20cm version.
They are expensive. I recommend buying from amazon if they have the size you need. Any issues and Prime you can return free
What case do you have?

Bassman999

Prominent
Feb 27, 2021
It's a simple Mining Rig frame, wher the riser and gpu sits on a bar right over the mainboard PCIe ports. I would have to twist and "fold" the cable of the PCIe 4.0 riser
Ive seen a few pc builds where the 4.0 riser folded and its fine. One of which the riser is actually supplied by LINKUP. I haven't folded mine, but it should be fine