News Ryan Shrout Departs Intel in Wake of Broader GPU Division Layoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

einheriar

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2007
To bad that the guy that invented Benchmarketing as an alleged independet journalist.- He was doing such a great job that he got offered a job by intel to keep up the great job he did for intel as an independent journalist.

Too bad that the guy that invented Benchmarketing as an alleged independet journalist.- He was doing such a great job that he got offered a job by intel to keep up the great job he did for intel as an independent journalist.
If you want to talk about the guy that "invented" benchmarking and PC enthusiast websites, you'd be talking about Anand Lal Shimpi or Thomas Pabst. I remember reading both of them in the late 90s. TH got me into overclocking with an Abit IT5H and the Pentium 200 MHz MMX — running at 250 MHz on an 83.3 MHz FSB!

PC Perspective launched in 2004, which is when I first started writing at AnandTech. It was about eight years after the original Sys.pair.com of THG and seven years after AnandTech. But I suppose the "benchmarketing" bit might be bigger for PCPer. I'm sure Payola was around long before Shrout, however. It's just everywhere now, especially on YouTube and with influencers. (Daily Tech's Payola article in 2007 was awesome; RIP, DT!)

hannibal

Distinguished
Between rumors and these departures from the ARC group I am more and more nervous Intel is going to can their discrete gaming GPUs. We need the competition in the GPU space. I will be sad to see them go if that ends up being the case. Fingers crossed I am wrong....

So rats are leaving the sinking ship? Maybe, maybe.
All in all Intel can not/will not bleed money by making GPUs for to long. If they soon start making 70-80% profit instead of losing money like they do now… It is the end!
But in general. If battle mage is good, it is gonna ben 70%-80% more expensive than alcemic. If it is bad… Well it is the end of Intel discrete GPU manufacturing… They make GPUs for money and profit and now they are not getting it.

Between rumors and these departures from the ARC group I am more and more nervous Intel is going to can their discrete gaming GPUs. We need the competition in the GPU space. I will be sad to see them go if that ends up being the case. Fingers crossed I am wrong....
Personally, Ryan's position with Intel Graphics always felt a bit superfluous. Like Intel has TAP (Tom Petersen) and he's great at being a front man for Arc already. Ryan basically felt like TAP's counterpart and video partner. After Intel laid off a bunch of people last month, including a freaking Fellow, I can't help but wonder how Ryan remained as long as he did. Or... maybe he was on that list of layoffs and we just didn't know about it?

--------------
"The affected roles in those areas consisted of 11 GPU software development engineers and two graphics hardware engineers, an engineering manager and four engineers working on AI software as well as 28 engineers and architects working on cloud software and solutions.

"The layoffs also claimed a general manager as well as an Intel fellow, the latter of which is the most prestigious title that can be given to a technical employee. CRN was unable to identify them.

"Other roles caught up in Intel’s latest layoff round included a channel marketing manager, three engineering managers, six hardware engineers, five principal engineers, eight product marketing engineers, five product marketing engineering managers, 16 system-on-chip design engineers and two system-on-chip design engineering managers."
--------------

Now the real question is whether Battlemage is still happening. I mean, Arc has gotten better over time, yes, and Arc 2.0 could be truly competitive. But Arc A-series is definitely not where it needs to be right now, and Arc B-series could be billions in spending for potentially less than billions in sales. IMO, Battlemage needs to basically match Ada on performance up to at least the 4070 level, or it would probably be better to kill it off.

Kamen Rider Blade

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
Now the real question is whether Battlemage is still happening. I mean, Arc has gotten better over time, yes, and Arc 2.0 could be truly competitive. But Arc A-series is definitely not where it needs to be right now, and Arc B-series could be billions in spending for potentially less than billions in sales. IMO, Battlemage needs to basically match Ada on performance up to at least the 4070 level, or it would probably be better to kill it off.
The entire "Arc" project is still on thin ice, so it's a "Wait & See" moment.

Evildead_666

Prominent
Jul 21, 2023
If you want to talk about the guy that "invented" benchmarking and PC enthusiast websites, you'd be talking about Anand Lal Shimpi or Thomas Pabst. I remember reading both of them in the late 90s. TH got me into overclocking with an Abit IT5H and the Pentium 200 MHz MMX — running at 250 MHz on an 83.3 MHz FSB!

PC Perspective launched in 2004, which is when I first started writing at AnandTech. It was about eight years after the original Sys.pair.com of THG and seven years after AnandTech. But I suppose the "benchmarketing" bit might be bigger for PCPer. I'm sure Payola was around long before Shrout, however. It's just everywhere now, especially on YouTube and with influencers. (Daily Tech's Payola article in 2007 was awesome; RIP, DT!)
Those were the days.
Pentium 60 running at 90MHz, P3 450 at 600.
Thomas and Anand weren't the legends they are now yet.
There were other sites, but many if not all have faded into oblivion.
I still have a printout somewhere of the graphics card comparison, in the voodoo 4/5/6 era.
Used to drool over those spec sheets.

baboma

Notable
Nov 3, 2022
>Hopefully Battlemage will make a better showing than Alchemist and compete better against the best graphics cards.

Given that Alchemist is the pre-cursor to Meteor Lake's iGPU (which Intel said shares the same software stack), my take is that Bmage will do the same for the succeeding iGPU. The laptop/mobile market is much larger, while competing in the retail desktop space against two huge incumbents--with large leads in brand strength, hardware capability and software support--at the low-end makes zero business sense. It's a money-losing proposition, not to mention the waste of resources devoted to it.

The improved iGPU would make much more sense in the mobile space. That, and Intel needs an answer for AMD's 7x40 series.

That would have been sysdoc.pair.com.
I found the site in fall of 96.
been around ever since.

Those were the days.
Pentium 60 running at 90MHz, P3 450 at 600.
Thomas and Anand weren't the legends they are now yet.
There were other sites, but many if not all have faded into oblivion.
I still have a printout somewhere of the graphics card comparison, in the voodoo 4/5/6 era.
Used to drool over those spec sheets.
The legendary celeron 300A... following anandtech way before 2004 era, need to translate it to PT-BR. Anand make me happy on thunderbird and barton Era. Tomshardware make my days pentium and core 2 Duo era...

Reactions: Evildead_666

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
If you want to talk about the guy that "invented" benchmarking and PC enthusiast websites,
I think that post was being ironic. It makes a lot more sense, if you interpret the entire thing as sarcasm.

PC Perspective launched in 2004,
I remember reading it in the mid 2000's or so. At the time, I thought there was some decent content on there. I don't remember much in the way of benchmarking, but I'd have been reading it for the articles and not paying much heed to benchmarks.

Is it not ironic that this supposedly came from DailyTech? They had a contributor who was very blatantly shilling for the fossil fuel industry. I stopped reading Anandtech (who syndicated DT, at the time), because of it. I still have the email exchange with Kristopher Kubicki (DailyTech EIC) and Anand about that, dated Sep. 2007. That article you linked is dated June 2007. Hmmm...

einheriar

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2007

No I mean benchMARKETING. (Marketing intelchips through selective cherrypicking of data) hand picking and tweaking benchmarks in such a way AMD looked always worse and Intel always better in the tests he did.. Heck he even continued this to a greatwer degreev after working for intel. but at least he did not pretend to be impartial

No I mean benchMARKETING. (Marketing intelchips through selective cherrypicking of data) hand picking and tweaking benchmarks in such a way AMD looked always worse and Intel always better in the tests he did.. Heck he even continued this to a greatwer degreev after working for intel. but at least he did not pretend to be impartial
Hence the second paragraph. But I'd say he's just a modern example of that sort of skewing of data. Look at drug trials or any other paid research and you'll find the same thing. Ryan was just a great (terrible) example of benchmarketing for Intel.

Reactions: Evildead_666

evdjj3j

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2017
I think that post was being ironic. It makes a lot more sense, if you interpret the entire thing as sarcasm.

I remember reading it in the mid 2000's or so. At the time, I thought there was some decent content on there. I don't remember much in the way of benchmarking, but I'd have been reading it for the articles and not paying much heed to benchmarks.

Is it not ironic that this supposedly came from DailyTech? They had a contributor who was very blatantly shilling for the fossil fuel industry. I stopped reading Anandtech (who syndicated DT, at the time), because of it. I still have the email exchange with Kristopher Kubicki (DailyTech EIC) and Anand about that, dated Sep. 2007. That article you linked is dated June 2007. Hmmm...
DT definately had a political slant to it that was very off putting.

Reactions: bit_user
Status
Not open for further replies.