Rysen 5 2400g Over clock problem.....

novajetfire333

Commendable
Nov 28, 2017
Ok so ive been looking around but i havent seen anything on my problem.
Im a first time system builder and first time overclocker, and im having a very hard time overclocking the vega 11 and getting it stable.
Playing around with the voltages ive managed to get close (Meaning i no longer get video tdr failure or other bsod's) but in gaming i kept having huge frame drop ( From 50-55 down to 10-11 Fps) about 2mins in to my game and it would last for about 10 to 15 seconds go back to normal and about 2 mins later it will do it again and will keep going thru that cycle....
now ive found the problem but im not sure why its happening or how to fix it but... When runnging game in window mode i had ryzen master open i back ground where i could see the yellow cpu speed peak Gage and i noticed that when the fps drop happens the cpu peak speed would drop from 3.9 ghz all the way down to .6 ghz when the cpu package reached 70c and then go back to 3.9 once the temp droped 10c or so (i also confirmed this with hwmonitor.)
My question is does this seem right? i mean my cpu cooler is rated for 150w tdp im not even hitting half of that.... if any body can help id be really gratefull.
Build....
Asus Prime b540M-A
Ryzen 5 2400G
Be quite pure rock 150 tdp (yes im pretty sure it on right)
Ram Patriot Viper 4 ram 8gb 4x2 3000mz Oc to 3200 stable in dual channel
236 gb western digital sata3 m.2 ssd
thermaltake 500w psu 80+ bronze

Closest stable oc....
cpu clock= left stock
cpu voltage=1.35
Apu gfx clock= 1500mz
Apu gfx voltage= 1.25
Soc voltage=1.175

Solution
What clock speed are is your CPU overclocked at?

You need to find that sweet spot between overclocking and temperature. Since it's an APU, the CPU temps will affect the Vega Graphics. I woukd recommend lower the OC speed on the CPU to get better thermals. You will automatically get better FPS.

The higher the speed the hotter it gets, ans therefore the lower the FPS.

Ryzen stock cooler isn't recommended for OC anyways. If you want to keep it running on your current config, get a better cooler.
What clock speed are is your CPU overclocked at?

You need to find that sweet spot between overclocking and temperature. Since it's an APU, the CPU temps will affect the Vega Graphics. I woukd recommend lower the OC speed on the CPU to get better thermals. You will automatically get better FPS.

The higher the speed the hotter it gets, ans therefore the lower the FPS.

Ryzen stock cooler isn't recommended for OC anyways. If you want to keep it running on your current config, get a better cooler.

Solution

novajetfire333

Commendable
Nov 28, 2017

3.8 ALL CORE...... BUT I FIGURED OUT MY PROBLEM................ My case only has one fan(only one came with it) i feel stupid. cant belive i forgot i only had one... just ordered some corsair mag lev fans today! do you think 3.8 will still be to much even with 4 more fans in the case? 3 for intake and 1 for exhaust . i read that the raven ridge apus thermal head room shrinks the further the oc is pushed. so it looks like 70c is my max, id like to keep it around 50c would changing the termal paste on my cpu cooler help as well? I just used the pre applyed stuf and it was thin enough to still see the metal underneath it

novajetfire333

Commendable
Nov 28, 2017
Thanks to every one who answered this thread.
i was defiantly thermal throttling but i don't believe it was my apu temp!but my vrm temps watching more carefully i saw that the vrms would hit around 98 and then they would drop the same time my apu throttled to 600mz (witch seemed like a very severe thermal throttle for the apu alone.put 5 of those mag lev fans in my case (one of the top mounted ones blowing right over the top or the vrms) my new oc is 4.0 all core on the cpu side and 1620 on the vega11 graphics package temp at 83 after 22 hours stable (tried 2 times never got pased 22 hours) running small fft on prime95 and fur mark running simultaneously. i would have liked to push further but sadly my stupid self got a cheap mobo that can only overclock in offsets (Freaking hard to figure out btw) and has no loadline calibration(among other feturers that im reading would certianly be helpfull) the latter preventing me from going any further. so untill i buy my crosshair Vll im stuck