Ryzen 1300x better than 1200?

paroll

Prominent
Aug 23, 2017
The parts to my first rig should be arriving in the mail today. I bought a 1200 but upon further research I realize I probably should have bought the 1300x. I know the 1200 can reach about 1300x speed though overclocking but I know nothing about overclocking and I'm a little concerned about how safe it would be and the long term affects of it.

Should I return my 1200 and pick up a 1300x?

Solution

Correct. It's only the clock speed that's the difference in the CPUs. Regarding long term overclocking, there may be an option in the Ryzen motherboards that support overclocking to have multiple BIOS configurations saved. I use exactly this for my overclocked PCs (see my sig). One setting is for overclocked boot for gaming, and another is for just stock for general use. That's the best way to go long term. Why have an overclocked CPU when you are just surfing...
Honestly I'm not sure why anyone would save a mere $20 on the 3.1GHz 1200 vs. the 3.5GHz 1300X. There is a difference in performance in some games and productivity apps. If you have any dark cloud of buyer's remorse hanging over your head, just return that 1200 and get the 1300X if you are not comfortable overclocking that 1200 to 3.5GHz (or more).

Contact the reseller and simply tell them you made a mistake and didn't realize it. Hopefully they won't make you eat a restock fee (if they do, then perhaps it's not wise to swap CPUs). The worst thing someone can do when building a new PC is second guess their hardware purchase(s). That dark cloud will not go away. Been there, done that. Twice.

paroll

Prominent
Aug 23, 2017
My only concern is how safe it is leaving my 1200 overclocked at all times. If I did, I would clock it to 3.7Hz and just set it and forget it. This won't cause damage to my system?

If I understand correctly, the 1300x is the same as the 1200 only clocked higher by default?

Correct. It's only the clock speed that's the difference in the CPUs. Regarding long term overclocking, there may be an option in the Ryzen motherboards that support overclocking to have multiple BIOS configurations saved. I use exactly this for my overclocked PCs (see my sig). One setting is for overclocked boot for gaming, and another is for just stock for general use. That's the best way to go long term. Why have an overclocked CPU when you are just surfing the web or using Microsoft Office?

In any event, the key to long term overclock success is minimizing the voltage increase. Voltage increase above factory reference for the chip will kill it long before the increased heat will. I have not seen a review of a Ryzen 1200 overclock capability, but if you are going to overclock it, I'd recommend buying an aftermarket cooler like the Cryorig H7. The cooler a chip runs, the less voltage it needs to overclock.

Solution

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from paroll : "Ryzen 1200 overclocking"