[SOLVED] Ryzen 1600 - CPU at 100% always, does not affect performance

Jun 5, 2019
Hi,

I am using Ryzen 1600 with a MSI B350 Tomahawk motherboard.
The CPU usage is always at 100%, It does not affect the performance.
System is not slow and working fine
I ran Prime95 small ffts for 20 minutes and max temp in HWmon was 69
Idle CPU temp is 52c and I am using stock cooler, no over clocking done
Same issue in safe mode
I installed the latest AMD chipset drivers
I am attaching the specs and screenshots
Dont know what is causing the issue

Solution
performed both actions, still same issue
the power plan is set to "AMD Ryzen" balanced not "Performance"
Which task is eating up 100% CPU at idle? Windows measures "idle" by using a specific process, but in rare cases it stops recognizing this process as such - so it keeps the power state of the CPU at its maximum, preventing lowering the clocks.
You can try removing all AMD drivers from the system, updating the BIOS and reinstalling the latest AMD chipset driver. It might fix it - but more often than not this happens on Windows systems that have seen several major system upgrades, such as a Win7 to Win8 to Win8.1 to Win10 upgrade - or an old enough Windows 10 systems that went through all updates since 10 came out.
I would...
Go into the control panel power options, click on "Change plan settings" next to your current power plan, which is probably "Performance".

Next, click on "Change advanced power settings".

Next, scroll down and double click on Processor power management. Set the minimum processor state to 8%. Make sure the max is set to 100%. Ensure that the cooling policy is set to active. Save settings, exit out of all open windows and restart the system.

Check for changed CPU usage behavior.

If it is still at 100% at all times, then restart, go into the BIOS and enable Cool N Quiet. Save settings and exit BIOS.

Reactions: DMAN999

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks. Hmm nothing really pops out at me, maybe Google chrome but that doesn't seem to be using much at all.

Just a guess, it's possible could be infected with bitcoin mining, using your cpu to mine bitcoins for whoever. Can get infected if someone was to use programs like torrent software.

In how to scan for that, im not sure. But it's just a guess.

performed both actions, still same issue
the power plan is set to "AMD Ryzen" balanced not "Performance"
Which task is eating up 100% CPU at idle? Windows measures "idle" by using a specific process, but in rare cases it stops recognizing this process as such - so it keeps the power state of the CPU at its maximum, preventing lowering the clocks.
You can try removing all AMD drivers from the system, updating the BIOS and reinstalling the latest AMD chipset driver. It might fix it - but more often than not this happens on Windows systems that have seen several major system upgrades, such as a Win7 to Win8 to Win8.1 to Win10 upgrade - or an old enough Windows 10 systems that went through all updates since 10 came out.
I would suggest a reformat in any case, as it may just be faster than trying to find whatever rogue DLL is loaded that shouldn't be and keeps loading the CPU with nothing.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS