Question Ryzen 1600 or PC-mate b350 or Corsair Vengeance upgrade for compatibility

Jan 2, 2020
Hey Lads and Lasses,
I got a question that google couldnt asnwer. Would really appreciate some help.
Heres the deal:
My system suffers from memory compatibility issues (Ryzen 1600, PC Mate b350, Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz, 2x8GB). The chosen memory is only compatible up to 8 GB. Im currently considering upgrading any of those parts to get rid of the issue and access my full 16 gigs of ram. So the question i have is:
What is the most reasonable thing to upgrade? I am limited to around 100 € budget.
  1. Switch to compatible ram?
  2. Switch to a different motherboard that can take the ryzen 1600 and the vengeance? If yes, what is the easiest way to figure out what MOBO to choose?
  3. Upgrade the CPU to eg. a Ryzen 2600. Ive read that the memory compatibility issues are resolved in younger ryzen generations. If yes, how to figure out if the CPU is compatible in that particular CPU-MOBO-RAM configuration?

Thanks for all input my friends and a good start into 2020.

PS. ive tried pretty much everything to make the current setup compatible, and it just doesnt work, so upgrading the hardware seems to be the only way out.

Hey Lads and Lasses,
I got a question that google couldnt asnwer. Would really appreciate some help.
Heres the deal:
My system suffers from memory compatibility issues (Ryzen 1600, PC Mate b350, Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz, 2x8GB). The chosen memory is only compatible up to 8 GB. Im currently considering upgrading any of those parts to get rid of the issue and access my full 16 gigs of ram. So the question i have is:
What is the most reasonable thing to upgrade? I am limited to around 100 € budget.
  1. Switch to compatible ram?
  2. Switch to a different motherboard that can take the ryzen 1600 and the vengeance? If yes, what is the easiest way to figure out what MOBO to choose?
  3. Upgrade the CPU to eg. a Ryzen 2600. Ive read that the memory compatibility issues are resolved in younger ryzen generations. If yes, how to figure out if the CPU is compatible in that particular CPU-MOBO-RAM configuration?
Thanks for all input my friends and a good start into 2020.

PS. ive tried pretty much everything to make the current setup compatible, and it just doesnt work, so upgrading the hardware seems to be the only way out.
What BIOS version are you running?

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
I'm assuming you have the RAM in the right slots?
ram-slots.jpg

I'm also assuming you did the following?

Reseat your RAM
Power down and take the CMOS battery out the replace.
Flash the BIOS to the newest revision.
Power down and take the CMOS battery out the replace again.
Boot into BIOS and turn on XMP.

Still, only one stick being seen as 8GB?

If so pull one stick out and boot off the other in the correct slot, if it boots try the other.

3000mhz LPX is made by Micron or Hynix, those are more prone to issues one older BIOS revisions but by now they should work fairly well.

Jan 2, 2020
Thanks for all the quick responses guys.
Ive tried pretty much everything. This isnt a new issue, ive been struggling with it for 2 years or so. I should have made it clearer. Its not that the second dimm is not recognized, its just not stable. The system recognizes all 16 GB (stock only though, no oc to 3000 MH) and everything works fine. Just once every 10-15 min a system error occurs (think nvlddmkm or something similar) that brings me back to desktop. Its not too much of a big deal apart from playing games or rendering stuff as those tasks becomes impossible. The error only stops once a dimm is removed. Been running on 8gb ever since, never had the issue ever again.
All the things youve suggested ive tried multiple times, nothing yielded any improvement. All bios and drivers are constantly updated etc. The error really appears to be hardware related, hence the question what to replace. Ive proven myself incapable of systembuilding once before, so id like some outside input :)

Thanks for all the quick responses guys.
Ive tried pretty much everything. This isnt a new issue, ive been struggling with it for 2 years or so. I should have made it clearer. Its not that the second dimm is not recognized, its just not stable. The system recognizes all 16 GB (stock only though, no oc to 3000 MH) and everything works fine. Just once every 10-15 min a system error occurs (think nvlddmkm or something similar) that brings me back to desktop. Its not too much of a big deal apart from playing games or rendering stuff as those tasks becomes impossible. The error only stops once a dimm is removed. Been running on 8gb ever since, never had the issue ever again.
All the things youve suggested ive tried multiple times, nothing yielded any improvement. All bios and drivers are constantly updated etc. The error really appears to be hardware related, hence the question what to replace. Ive proven myself incapable of systembuilding once before, so id like some outside input :)
Sounds like your RAM went bad. Before buying anything run memcheck for the DIMMs being sure to use all the slots. You will end up doing a bunch of tests. Doing that will help with know whether the issue is RAM, CPU, or motherboard.

Jan 2, 2020
Sounds like your RAM went bad. Before buying anything run memcheck for the DIMMs being sure to use all the slots. You will end up doing a bunch of tests. Doing that will help with know whether the issue is RAM, CPU, or motherboard.

i already did that. The ram sticks are individually all fine. The issue is just the compatibility. I just dont know what part to upgrade. Also in regards of future proofing the system. If i spend another 100 bucks, i might as well not take too much of a step sidewards.

i already did that. The ram sticks are individually all fine. The issue is just the compatibility. I just dont know what part to upgrade. Also in regards of future proofing the system. If i spend another 100 bucks, i might as well not take too much of a step sidewards.
According to the compatibility matrix they have, your RAM is not listed for the Ryzen 1000 series. The 3000MHz that are listed are only supported at 2933MHz. https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B350-PC-MATE#support-mem-12 If you were to go to the 2600, the RAM is listed but at 2933MHz not 3000MHz.

Jan 2, 2020
According to the compatibility matrix they have, your RAM is not listed for the Ryzen 1000 series. The 3000MHz that are listed are only supported at 2933MHz. https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B350-PC-MATE#support-mem-12 If you were to go to the 2600, the RAM is listed but at 2933MHz not 3000MHz.
that is some really helpful info.
would that mean that i could run the ram at 2933 just fine? I doubt id ever see a difference in performance between 2933 and 3000 anyway

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador

Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz kits are like $75
Viper 4 $70
Ripjaw 5 $70

Resell your kit for $60

You just spent $10-$15 :unsure:

LPX 3200 uses Samsung B Die which is far more compatible with those early first-gen boards and CPU's, just about any Samsung B Die set should solve the issue.

Jan 2, 2020
Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz kits are like $75
Viper 4 $70
Ripjaw 5 $70

Resell your kit for $60

You just spent $10-$15 :unsure:

LPX 3200 uses Samsung B Die which is far more compatible with those early first-gen boards and CPU's, just about any Samsung B Die set should solve the issue.

thanks for the input. Those are some of the options i am considering. Im just thinking of buying a 2600 for 100 bucks or 40-50 used instead as that would also improve performance. :)

Anton Hunter

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2013
that is some really helpful info.
would that mean that i could run the ram at 2933 just fine? I doubt id ever see a difference in performance between 2933 and 3000 anyway
I'm with Jeremyj_83 on this. And, once you drop to 2933, you can fine-tune the RAM setting as well. My RAM is rated @ 3200; but I couldn't get any stability till I reset to 2933MHz/14-15-15-15-34-51-514/1T 1.308V. In 3DMark Time Spy I jumped from a score of 8096 to 8273 … and it passed the Stress Test at 99.3%.
Good Luck to you!