Ryzen 1600 rig shuts down under stress (>100'c)

The great_1

Reputable
Sep 2, 2016
All the testing done under 33'c room temperature thou pc shuts down all the time under peak cpu load...

While running any CPU intensive task like benchmark!, handbrake. my CPU goes above 100'c within 15 seconds and when it reaches 113'c system shuts itself down for obvious reasons.
I haven't done any overclocking and I'm on my stock wraith spire cooler I've also tried two different cheap thermal paste but no miracle so far

here's what I've done till now, as you wonderful people out there would suggest more thing I will update my tried things here

1. tested two differed thermal paste, cheap thou but heat dissipation is there Because when I pause handbrake rendering or any CPU intensive task temp goes down fairly fast (40-50'c within 20-25 seconds)

2.changed cabinet fan and installed Thermaltake Riing 12c (two of em)

3. lower the stock cpu voltage to 1.2(flat)

4. Praised the lord!

My configuration is

CPU: Ryzen 1600

Motherboard: Asus prime b350 plus

GPU: Zotec 1050ti mini

RAM: Corsair 8 gigs of ddr4 2400 MHz

PSU: CORSAIR vs550.

Storage: Two WD 1 TB Mechanical HDDs(NO SSD!)
---------------------------------------------------
Got some pics of temperature monitor and CPU burning tool.
check the link out.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/WiviE3DjwBESsZPa9

My Replies

1. I've tightened the screws till there was no room for it also I've added the adequate amount of thermal paste neither too much nor too low.., the paste it came with was clean wiped by me cause it caught dust particles.

2. System shuts down only just with the CPU intensive tasks, nothing graphics hungry thou I've stressed my GPU a lot without stressing CPU simultaneously and I gave up after 3 hours of GPU stressing...

3. All hardware are just fine, PSU is no problem I have with, motherboard it ok, there's a good reason that system shut down to protect itself(113'c it hot enough) I'm kinda shocked

4. My board doesn't allow over tightening the screws, it feels like a dead end when the process is done, and all four screws are well tightened IN THERE PLACE. I started having this problem on stock voltages, lowering the voltages are just one of the things that I tried. the heatsink is connected to right port in motherboard, my system beeps if it isn't.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So I took a day off from everything and was even ready to burn a hole in my pocket but before that I wanted to try my best on this problem. so here are the things I did and the temp and shutdown problem solved. thanks a lot to all of you. but I can't pinpoint the main culprit as I tried bunch of things and those are...

1. disassembled the whole rig, cleared off the dust of everything with an air compressor, the case, motherboard, PSU, you name it.
2. installed one more fan on the cabinet(static pressure)
3. bought a different thermal paste from local(the two I tried in past I had them for like 2 years or more) this paste wasn't expensive either just under 1USD!, screwed the cooler back.
4.there's was a bios update as well on Asus website, did that.
5. Reinstalled whole goddam windows 10 RS4, installed all the windows update and updated drivers till date.

I know some points are basic, and sounds like a generic solution like restart your computer! but as I had the whole day for this I did those things, I personally think No 3 and 4 had the biggest impact. the day I did all these things in 1 hour CPU burn test the cpu was hitting 87'c max, and the day after it's just 78 max.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Is the cooler tightly installed? On the original install the cooler already had thermal paste on it, did you add more (you should not)? Did you fully clean all off when replacing the paste?

The cooler should be placed and held tightly in place then tightened down.

Either you are not installing the CPU cooler properly, or there is some problem with the hardware. Firstly, make sure the fans on the cooler are actually spinning and dissipating heat. You can also try bringing your hand close to the CPU when it is being stressed, if its actually 100C you should be able to feel the heat from a few inches away. You need to try re-installing the cooler, tightly and properly, perhaps check a few guides on how to do it in case this is your first time. Also make sure you aren't putting too much or too little thermal paste - about a rice-grain sized application is ideal.

The great_1

Reputable
Sep 2, 2016

just the CPU intensive tasks, nothing graphics hungry thou I've stressed my gpu a lot without stressing CPU simultaneously and I gave up after 3 hours of GPU stressing...

The great_1

Reputable
Sep 2, 2016

I've tightne the screws till there was no room for it also I've added adequate amount of thermal paste neirhter too much nor too low.., the paste it came with was clean wiped by me cause it caught dust particles. keep digging....

The great_1

Reputable
Sep 2, 2016

check out the updated question details, I"ve cleared the basics and a problem so trivial shouldn't happen with me, all hardware are just find PSU is no problem I have with, motherboard it ok, there's good reason that system shut down to protect itself(113'c it hot enough) I'm kinda shocked

inzane4all

Upstanding
Jun 20, 2018
Change out the thermal paste. if that doesn't work, check the CPU cooler and make sure it's tight on the CPU. If that doesn't work, new CPU cooler. Maybe liquid cooling? You can get one for $60 bucks or less if your lucky. I'm not familiar with Ryzen's, but my machine would shut down on me during extensive tasks due to not enough voltage being sent to the CPU when I overclocked it (4670k OC to 4.8 Ghz and also an AMD FX 8350 to 4.9 Ghz). When I had too much heat on the CPU when testing using IBT or Prime95, I would lower the voltages and test again. Other things that raises heat on CPU is OC RAM, not enough ventilation on case, poor fan placement, etc.... I'm sure your issue is very simple.

Last thing you can do if you've messed around with the board settings is set them to defaults and see if that helps. Good luck!

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Overtightening a cooler is just as bad. It should be snug, not cranked down. Also UNDERvolting a processor can cause more heat. Try dead stock settings first. Is the fan connected to the correct CPU cooler port on the board?

The great_1

Reputable
Sep 2, 2016

The thing is my board doesn't allow over tightening the screws, it feels like a dead end when the process is done, and all four screws are well tightened IN THERE PLACE. I started having this problem on stock voltages, lowering the voltages are just one of the things that I tried. the heatsink is connected to the right port in the motherboard, my system beeps if it isn't.

When tightening the CPU cooler, do you have to apply a lot of force to rotate the screws? If you do, then you're tightening too much. The screws should be tight enough to just hold the cooler in its place, don't tighten them all the way to the end as that puts extra pressure on the CPU and board. Maybe try a better thermal paste, from a good brand. Also, restore the BIOS defaults, don't touch the voltages now.

The great_1

Reputable
Sep 2, 2016

Thanks a lot for coming here on quora request, now please go to my updated question details I add all my replies there.

As everyone else has stated it seems to be a hardware issue-unless you have a defective cpu in terms of bad TIM/IHS (dont know if thats even possible) then the only other culprit is the CPU cooler. Is the fan on it spinning? Can you set a more aggresive curve in bios and see if it responds? Is there any chance you can try another cooler?

So when you reach the 'dead end' of the screw, are you applying a lot of force to get there, or does the screw still go in easily? If you apply a lot of force to reach the end, then you're over tightening the screw, only tighten it enough to hold the CPU cooler in place. Other than that, like I said, a better quality thermal paste might help, though I doubt it. And set the BIOS to the defaults if it isn't at default right now. If it still overheats, you probably have some defective part, and changing the CPU cooler would be the best start.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Ryzen CPUs have soldier unlike Intels with bad TIM in between the chip and IHS.

The great_1

Reputable
Sep 2, 2016
So I took a day off from everything and was even ready to burn a hole in my pocket but before that I wanted to try my best on this problem. so here are the things I did and the temp and shutdown problem solved. thanks a lot to all of you. but I can't pinpoint the main culprit as I tried bunch of things and those are...

1. disassembled the whole rig, cleared off the dust of everything with an air compressor, the case, motherboard, PSU, you name it.
2. installed one more fan on the cabinet(static pressure)
3. bought a different thermal paste from local(the two I tried in past I had them for like 2 years or more) this paste wasn't expensive either just under 1USD!, screwed the cooler back.
4.there's was a bios update as well on Asus website, did that.
5. Reinstalled whole goddam windows 10 RS4, installed all the windows update and updated drivers till date.

I know some points are basic, and sounds like a generic solution like restart your computer! but as I had the whole day for this I did those things, I personally think No 3 and 4 had the biggest impact. the day I did all these things in 1 hour CPU burn test the cpu was hitting 87'c max, and the day after it's just 78 max.

The great_1

Reputable
Sep 2, 2016

The problem is solved now, thanks a lot for taking your time into this. I've updated my question details with the solution as well as the added solution in case if you wanna check that out.

The great_1

Reputable
Sep 2, 2016

Don't sweat over now, The problem is solved, thanks a lot for taking your time into this you're the best man. I've updated my question details with the solution as well as the added solution in case if you wanna check that out.