Question Ryzen 1600AF vs 2600

As that Gamers Nexus review points out, the 2600 and the 1600 AF (the version that comes with the same smaller Stealth cooler as the 2600) are basically the same processor, just configured for different stock clocks. If you overclock the 1600 AF, it should offer basically the same performance as a 2600. So for a $34 difference, I would absolute take the 1600 AF over the 2600. That money would be better put toward other components in the system.

Considering you can get a 120mm aftermarket tower cooler for about that price, if you wanted to put the money toward your CPU, it would likely be better put toward one of those. Something like a Hyper 212 Black, or an Arctic Freezer 33 or 34 eSports would cool the CPU a lot better than the stock Stealth cooler, and would likely allow one to get more performance out of a 1600 AF than a 2600 on its stock cooler.

Reactions: King_V

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
41% more money for only about 10% more performance?

The 1600 AF can't be beat, bang for buck - no question. I would recommend saving the money and getting the 1600AF. That's what I did for my son's computer. It's basically a slightly slower-clocked 2600 for all intents and purposes.

I had a Wraith Spire LED cooler that a friend gave me, but I imagine that the standard Wraith Stealth is well up to the task - it handles what the 2600 does at stock speeds, and the 1600 AF is slightly clocked down, so it produces slightly less heat. If you're not planning to push it with overclocking, the stock cooler should be just fine, especially if your case has good airflow.

Reactions: gasolin

alliearmstrong

Reputable
Nov 20, 2018
As that Gamers Nexus review points out, the 2600 and the 1600 AF (the version that comes with the same smaller Stealth cooler as the 2600) are basically the same processor, just configured for different stock clocks. If you overclock the 1600 AF, it should offer basically the same performance as a 2600. So for a $34 difference, I would absolute take the 1600 AF over the 2600. That money would be better put toward other components in the system.

Considering you can get a 120mm aftermarket tower cooler for about that price, if you wanted to put the money toward your CPU, it would likely be better put toward one of those. Something like a Hyper 212 Black, or an Arctic Freezer 33 or 34 eSports would cool the CPU a lot better than the stock Stealth cooler, and would likely allow one to get more performance out of a 1600 AF than a 2600 on its stock cooler.
Thank you! This really helped.

alliearmstrong

Reputable
Nov 20, 2018
41% more money for only about 10% more performance?

The 1600 AF can't be beat, bang for buck - no question. I would recommend saving the money and getting the 1600AF. That's what I did for my son's computer. It's basically a slightly slower-clocked 2600 for all intents and purposes.

I had a Wraith Spire LED cooler that a friend gave me, but I imagine that the standard Wraith Stealth is well up to the task - it handles what the 2600 does at stock speeds, and the 1600 AF is slightly clocked down, so it produces slightly less heat. If you're not planning to push it with overclocking, the stock cooler should be just fine, especially if your case has good airflow.
Thank you so much. I think I'l definitely be going with the 1600AF.

Reactions: gasolin