[SOLVED] Ryzen 1700 for recording

Mar 5, 2019
Okay so I'm looking to get a new pc to play games and record. I'd mainly want to record minecraft but at 240 fps at 720 or 1080p, then upscaling to 1440p later on.

Would I be able to record at 720p or 1080p with 100k bitrate on obs and 240fps?

Rest of my next pc:
Asus prime 370 pro
16gb 3200mhz
r7 360, then upgrading to 1060
550w psu
H500 case nzxt

Solution
You're gonna have 4x as many threads with the 1700. Assuming your recording software is cpu driven and not gpu, you could theoretically expect that much throughput (4x60=240@1080). However, this is just theoretical. It could be that you'd be gpu bound (bottleneck) in this scenario at 1080 and only able to record at 120-180 fps... or stuck where you're at even though your future cpu is capable of encoding at a much higher rate.

First you'd have to determine where your current bottleneck is. You'd also have to see if there are any other people who are using a similar gpu (or same gpu) to do the same workload and what their performance is (maybe try asking around the minecraft community?).

Lutfij

Titan
Are you looking to just record gameplay or also stream while you game? If so, you're going to have to cut down on your details in-game. For the sake of discussion, mentioning the wattage on a PSU tells us absolutely nothing about the quality/reliability of the unit. Please state the make and model of your PSU. You also don't need an X370 chipset board, you can make do with a B350 chipset or a B450 chipset.

Mind stating your budget and your location? Also list all the games you want to play/stream off the system.

Mar 5, 2019
Are you looking to just record gameplay or also stream while you game? If so, you're going to have to cut down on your details in-game. For the sake of discussion, mentioning the wattage on a PSU tells us absolutely nothing about the quality/reliability of the unit. Please state the make and model of your PSU. You also don't need an X370 chipset board, you can make do with a B350 chipset or a B450 chipset.

Mind stating your budget and your location? Also list all the games you want to play/stream off the system.
I already bought the Mobo found a deal which cut it from £120 to £70 new.
I'm from England.
My budget for my whole pc is around 700 excluding the graphics card.
The PSU is Corsair VS650w not a 550w.
Only recording, no streaming, thanks.

Mar 5, 2019

Oh, and Minecraft and a few small steam games, nothing much, but I do want to do video editing at college and such :)

jackjack86

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016
I don't know how much of your budget is left over but if you're going to be editing video I wouldn't go lower than the Ryzen 5 1600, unless your mobo is already flashed to the latest bios in which case you could go with Ryzen 5 2600 or higher.

Edit: my bad just saw the title, 1700 is a pretty good choice IMO

Mar 5, 2019
I don't know how much of your budget is left over but if you're going to be editing video I wouldn't go lower than the Ryzen 5 1600, unless your mobo is already flashed to the latest bios in which case you could go with Ryzen 5 2600 or higher.

Edit: my bad just saw the title, 1700 is a pretty good choice IMO
Yeah my mobo is on the latest bios already can support 2000 series

jackjack86

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016
r7 360 might be a little low end for 1080p. I had a r9 380x for a bit that struggled with 1080p at mid-high settings (not minecraft tho, don't really play that myself). I don't think you'd have issues at 720 but recording might change that some. Might wanna look at benchmarks first before you decide on a gpu.

Mar 5, 2019
r7 360 might be a little low end for 1080p. I had a r9 380x for a bit that struggled with 1080p at mid-high settings (not minecraft tho, don't really play that myself). I don't think you'd have issues at 720 but recording might change that some. Might wanna look at benchmarks first before you decide on a gpu.
At the moment I'm running a FX 4300 at 3.9ghz and a r7 360 and I can record at 720p120 or 1080p60, recording is run off the CPU I believe so would a ryzen 1700 be able to record at 240fps with 1080p? Does the GPU affect the recording?

BTW I'm talking about recording Minecraft

jackjack86

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016
You're gonna have 4x as many threads with the 1700. Assuming your recording software is cpu driven and not gpu, you could theoretically expect that much throughput (4x60=240@1080). However, this is just theoretical. It could be that you'd be gpu bound (bottleneck) in this scenario at 1080 and only able to record at 120-180 fps... or stuck where you're at even though your future cpu is capable of encoding at a much higher rate.

First you'd have to determine where your current bottleneck is. You'd also have to see if there are any other people who are using a similar gpu (or same gpu) to do the same workload and what their performance is (maybe try asking around the minecraft community?).

Solution
Mar 5, 2019

I can definitely say at the moment my bottleneck is with my CPU, rather than my GPU. I'm using OBS/open broadcaster software. As far as I'm aware the Minecraft community either has younger people with laptops, or enthusiasts with higher end pcs, never seen anyone talk about the r7 360 before. I have looked at benchmarks and it really doesn't matter what GPU you have for Minecraft.

Saying I got a GTX 1060, would the ryzen 1700 be capable of the 240 fps at 1080p I was talking about?

Thanks for the reply also. :)

TRENDING THREADS