[SOLVED] ryzen 1700x absurd temps and vcore voltages on new motherboard.

vish1756

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014
hi my system config is:

ryzen 1700x no OC.
corsair h100i v2 liquid cooler (noctua nt-h1 thermal compound used)
msi b450 gaming plus max
gtx 1080 wf3
cm v750 psu
gskill trident z 32gigs

I recently bought this msi motherboard since i lost my older one due to power surges and the first thing i notice in the bios is the cpu temps slowly climb from 35 to 70 degrees and the v core voltages slowly drop from 1.4v to 0.8v within like 30 seconds while the processor is still clocked at running at 3.4 ghz as shown in the bios. I am attaching snap shots i took every 5 to 10 seconds below. I have put only one 8gb ram stick for testing. I haven't tried running anything but the bios looking at the alarming temps and haven't run the system for more than 50 seconds or so. The moment I turn on the system i can see that my cooler pump starts to run at full speed right from the moment i turn on the pc (super loud fan sounds). I tried resetting the bios by removing the mobo battery, changing the thermal paste, remounting the cooler but no use. I had nto overclocked the processor on the earlier motherboard before installing it on the new motherboard or seen any such behavior before. please help

https://ibb.co/dcmXmwG
https://ibb.co/TtvmyqC
https://ibb.co/rdrs53H

Last edited:
Solution
I had a similar problem a few months back and, like you, I was also using an H100i v2.
I noticed my fans were running at max and sure enough when I checked the temps on my 4790k they were high.
Now, I will preface this by saying that I’m no expert on the cooler, but to my knowledge the Corsair H100i v2 only has two pump speeds (quiet and performance) both of which are static (meaning they do not change based on temps, so you need to change them manually within Corsair’s Link software or iCue software). Your fans however can ramp up or slow down as they need to based on your fan curve.
From my experience, I hardly ever heard the pump in my H100i v2 over the other fans in my system (and I run my fans quiet and low). My first thought is...
Aug 15, 2020
I had a similar problem a few months back and, like you, I was also using an H100i v2.
I noticed my fans were running at max and sure enough when I checked the temps on my 4790k they were high.
Now, I will preface this by saying that I’m no expert on the cooler, but to my knowledge the Corsair H100i v2 only has two pump speeds (quiet and performance) both of which are static (meaning they do not change based on temps, so you need to change them manually within Corsair’s Link software or iCue software). Your fans however can ramp up or slow down as they need to based on your fan curve.
From my experience, I hardly ever heard the pump in my H100i v2 over the other fans in my system (and I run my fans quiet and low). My first thought is that your pump may have died and the fans are maxing out to compensate. If you have another cooler I would recommend switching it with the H100i v2 and seeing if your temps become more reasonable. It’s been a while but I think the 1700X shipped with a stock cooler. That should be good enough to test whether your pump may have gone bad.

Solution

vish1756

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014
From my experience, I hardly ever heard the pump in my H100i v2 over the other fans in my system (and I run my fans quiet and low). My first thought is that your pump may have died and the fans are maxing out to compensate. If you have another cooler I would recommend switching it with the H100i v2 and seeing if your temps become more reasonable. It’s been a while but I think the 1700X shipped with a stock cooler. That should be good enough to test whether your pump may have gone bad.
kinda makes sense. but from what i can guess this shoudnt affect the voltage to such an extent that it drops the vcore drops to 0.8 right or am i missing something?

Aug 15, 2020
kinda makes sense. but from what i can guess this shoudnt affect the voltage to such an extent that it drops the vcore drops to 0.8 right or am i missing something?

Most motherboards have fail-safes built into them in case temperatures get to high on the CPU. The first fail-safe is it will drop the voltage being sent to the CPU. The second fail-safe is that, in the event that dropping the voltage does not work, the motherboard will shutdown the system entirely.

If I had to guess the voltage dropping is your motherboard trying to manage your temps.

vish1756

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014
Most motherboards have fail-safes built into them in case temperatures get to high on the CPU. The first fail-safe is it will drop the voltage being sent to the CPU. The second fail-safe is that, in the event that dropping the voltage does not work, the motherboard will shutdown the system entirely.

If I had to guess the voltage dropping is your motherboard trying to manage your temps.
thanks.. i see.. so based upon this i had checked the cpu block i could feel something like the pump running while my pc was on so could it be a malfunctioning pump in this case? also its been three years since i bough this cooler and i dont have access to any other coolers for now. any way i can confirm its a cooler issue?

Aug 15, 2020
Unfortunately, the easiest way to confirm that it's the cooler is to swap it out and compare temps.

BUT, one thing that you could before looking into a new cooler is reapplying your thermal past to the CPU. Every once and awhile the past just doesn't make good contact between the CPU and the block. It's possible that you could be seeing issues with that.

If that doesn't work then I would recommend a cooler like this. If you want to risk the used market you can, but I would advise against it since some coolers may not come with the necessary AM4 bracket.

vish1756

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014
Unfortunately, the easiest way to confirm that it's the cooler is to swap it out and compare temps.

BUT, one thing that you could before looking into a new cooler is reapplying your thermal past to the CPU. Every once and awhile the past just doesn't make good contact between the CPU and the block. It's possible that you could be seeing issues with that.

If that doesn't work then I would recommend a cooler like this. If you want to risk the used market you can, but I would advise against it since some coolers may not come with the necessary AM4 bracket.

your deduction about the water pump was spot on!.. I ordered a new air cooler.. things are fine now! thanks