RYZEN 1800X + h100i v2 Idle Temps

spledang

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
I just bought an 1800x paired with an h100i v2 and it's idling in BIOS (with BIOS updated - x370 Taichi 3.00) at mid 50s. With some browsing it goes from 50-60c. The voltage randomly bumps to 1.4 occasionally for a split second on Ryzen Master. Anyways, I read an article saying that there is a +20 differential offset for the 1700x and 1800x so not sure if that's really a thing anymore since those articles were March.

1. If the whole offset thing is a thing, is that something that exists with bios updated? I've been using core temp and ryzen master to read temps. Ryzen Master is always 50-60c while CoreTemp reads 40-50c (then bios around 50).

2. I am running at 32gb of ram at 3200mhz using the XMP Profile provided. Is it better to overclock manually or use XMP profile? Not sure which one I benefit from more.

3. Is is possible that my fans were placed the opposite direction on my h100i v2 causing less cooling? I have my radiator on top (phanteks pro m case) and I couldn't tell how to place my fans with no direction showing. I want them facing up against the radiator but I can't tell... sorry I know I'm a newb lol.

4. I never installed my drivers for my mobo but nothing is with the yellow caution sign in device manager. Is it really necessary to install mobo drivers? I'm not sure if that would fix my temp issues but just curious if I really have to.

My setup is for editing 4K footage on the GH5 and gaming on the side. Ran Premiere and it seems to be smooth during playback. I've played a few games of Overwatch and everything seemed to run really smooth and temps weren't too crazy but fans did get loud. I've never owned an AIO though so it might've SEEMED loud to me. Hopefully I'm panicking for no reason...

Any help appreciated!

Solution
https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2017/03/13/amd-ryzen-community-update

Temperature Reporting
The primary temperature reporting sensor of the AMD Ryzen™ processor is a sensor called “T Control,” or tCTL for short. The tCTL sensor is derived from the junction (Tj) temperature—the interface point between the die and heatspreader—but it may be offset on certain CPU models so that all models on the AM4 Platform have the same maximum tCTL value. This approach ensures that all AMD Ryzen™ processors have a consistent fan policy.

Specifically, the AMD Ryzen™ 7 1700X and 1800X carry a +20°C offset between the tCTL° (reported) temperature and the actual Tj° temperature. In the short term, users of the AMD Ryzen™ 1700X and 1800X...

WrektGlitch

Commendable
Jun 20, 2016
Did you make sure to set the header that the pump is plugged into to 100% power in the BIOS? Fan direction shouldn't matter much, but there are usually arrows indicating both the direction of the airflow, and the direction the blades spin in.

spledang

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009

I'm not sure if the 20c offset applies to bios (most recent ones) and if it was something fixed. I know 30c idle would be nice but its always 50+. But after playing on it for a good couple hrs and it really only hits 60c I'm just confused now why it barely raises up in temps on load. Anyways, my comps not crashing or burning on fire so that's a plus.

Embra

Distinguished
https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2017/03/13/amd-ryzen-community-update

Temperature Reporting
The primary temperature reporting sensor of the AMD Ryzen™ processor is a sensor called “T Control,” or tCTL for short. The tCTL sensor is derived from the junction (Tj) temperature—the interface point between the die and heatspreader—but it may be offset on certain CPU models so that all models on the AM4 Platform have the same maximum tCTL value. This approach ensures that all AMD Ryzen™ processors have a consistent fan policy.

Specifically, the AMD Ryzen™ 7 1700X and 1800X carry a +20°C offset between the tCTL° (reported) temperature and the actual Tj° temperature. In the short term, users of the AMD Ryzen™ 1700X and 1800X can simply subtract 20°C to determine the true junction temperature of their processor. No arithmetic is required for the Ryzen 7 1700. Long term, we expect temperature monitoring software to better understand our tCTL offsets to report the junction temperature automatically.

The table below serves as an example of how the tCTL sensor can be interpreted in a hypothetical scenario where a Ryzen processor is operating at 38°C.

(link has more details)

Solution