Distinguished
Sep 30, 2015
Current system build.

Mobo: gigabyte gaming k5 x370
CPU: ryzen 1600x
Cooler: corsiar h100i v2
Gpu: had ASUS gaming strix 1080
Ram: Corsair vengeance 3200mhz
Hhd: Intel 530 series 240gb ssd, 2 Tb WD black hhd.

Psu: Corsair RMx 750 watt
Monitor: Dell 1440p 144hz gsync

So the entire reason why I want to upgrade from a 1600x to the 1800x or the 2700x is because I’m not happy with the performance I get with my 1600x. The chip it’s self is a terrible overclocker. Must have just gotten a bad chip because I can’t get it past 3.9 ghz without the whole system flipping out. I feel like that the cpu is a bottle neck to my system. Anyway so I would like to upgrade. I’ve done some research and I know the 2700x is better than 1800x but Is it really 80 dollars better. Current price of 1800x is $240. Current price of 2700x is $320. What do you guys think? Open to any and other opinions.

Solution
Too many people like to champion maximum possible gaming performance as the deciding factor, failing to take into account that once you hit a GPU bottleneck, it doesn't matter how fast your CPU is. The extra ability of a CPU beyond a GPU bottleneck simply doesn't matter. You may see better 1% and 0.1% lows, but even that isn't being demonstrated between either Intel's high end offering and AMD's, so saying you need Intel, when you don't have a 1080 Ti or faster GPU, or when you may end up running at 1440p resolutions, is missing or glossing over a pretty big point that you are going to have to contend with.

At 1440p with G-SYNC running, you won't even be able to perceive the difference between a 2700X and an 8700k on a GTX 1080 unless...
what do you do with your system? if it's purely for gaming i would suggest sell the gigabyte gaming k5 and ryzen 1600x and get yourself a intel build. gaming wise i seriously doubt that the 8 core is much faster than the 6 core.

if not, i guess the answer is no, 2700x is not $80 better than the 1800x, 30% cost for 10% speed gain is no good.

Viralology

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2015
Did not mean to vote that answer down, my bad. Yes pretty much all I do is gaming and program for my studies. I don’t really edit videos. So what do you think I should go for in an intel system? I’m willing to spend give or take around 400 maybe 450 the. If I can sell the 1600x and mobo for around 200 dollars

you can get a 8700k + z370 or 8600k + z370 (8700k about $350 new, 8600k is $250 new) and a mobo like asrock ex4 for $150 or msi z370-a pro for $100.

these two are good choice for budget z370 builds. since you are running an aio, make sure you have some airflow in the cpu area as there is no more airflow from the cpu fan.

The 1800x is surprisingly bad at games. Not touching it.

The 2700x is the only Ryzen that surpasses the Intel I5-8400 in some games. But it is very expensive.

If you really want to play take the i5-8600k or i7-8700k (or i7-8700 if you do not like to do OC).

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Intel i7-8700k is overall better at gaming yes. Is it worth dumping your whole system to switch to it. Absolutely not. I must apologize for the massively awful advice given to you so far in this thread.

If I were you I'd get the 2700x, its an improvement over the 1800x in terms of base clock and overclocking. It can also all core turbo with AFR where the 1800x will not.

I run an 1800X and it games very well, crushes anything I throw at it.

If gaming is your primary use then Intel just dominates. Its not to say that the 2600/2700 aren't good gaming CPUs, they are, and AMD is getting better with single core performance and offer a better overall price to performance cost ratio then Intel, but ig you have the money then the 8600k or 8700k are very very strong gaming CPUs.

Viralology

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2015
Okay, sorry I can’t post reply’s I am on an iPhone. Yeah I am kind of getting mixed results here. I’m trying to debate if it’s worth trying to sell my current mobo and cpu to completely switch to an intel rig. Don’t get me wrong, I know intel might be better but I don’t think it would be worth switching my system. The amount of time, effort, and money. I will have to look into it. But just out of curiosity, is the i7-8700k a lot better than the i5-8600k? For 100 about 120 more when it comes to gaming.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

No its not a monster difference. For a new gaming build the i5-8600k is the best price/performance deal right now.

Still a huge waste of money to switch platforms though, again. IMO.

"dumping your whole system" No only CPU and mobo.

Let's explain everything so as not to deceive anyone:

If you buy a 2700x without changing the mobo to X470 then you will not take advantage of all the new ryzen 2 improvements (Precision Boost 2, XFR2 and substantial improvement in overclock). Of course It is an excellent CPU with X370 but the tests you see on the Internet are based on a mobo X470 and all improvements. And then: "Why i can not OC ok? Is my chip bad?"...

On the other hand an I5-8600K costs 80 $ less than a 2700x and is better for games. With this you pay half mobo ...

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Theres a bit of a jump there, and thats not overclocked, if he overclocks its more

https://www.techspot.com/review/1613-amd-ryzen-2700x-2600x/page3.html

IMO stick with Ryzen. Sell your old CPU to offset the cost, it still has value.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Wrong,

The chipset (x370 vs x470) has nothing to do with overclocking performance . Thats based on the power delivery of the motherboard. In fact most of the new X470 boards are identical to their X370 counterparts barring the chipset. If he is manually overclocking he will get the same performance out of an X370 board.

Also XFR2 AND Precision boost 2 works on X370, as long as the board manufacturer implemented it in the BIOS update - which Gigabyte has.

If you can reliably hit 3.9 GHz on a Ryzen 1600x, good for you! Ryzen CPUs don't hit 4 GHz as often as you might think based on what people are saying in the forums. The majority cap out in the 3.8+ range.

As for which CPU will be better between the 1800X, 2700X, and 8700k for your purposes? Most likely the 2700X. The only thing you need to purchase to get to a 2700X is just the CPU.

You can always do a few minutes research.

Here is a simple video showing that the difference between a 2700X and an 8700k at 1440p on a GTX 1080 is mostly margin of error stuff as you're hitting the GPUs limit, not the CPU. Going with the lower cost Intel 8600k is going to cost more than going with the 2700X and yield worse results than the 8700k. On the other hand, if your needs ever change and you find a use case for more cores, you will immediately regret being limited to 6 cores.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSmpw8jFHoM

These benchmarks demonstrates that you would have to step up to a GTX 1080 Ti to demonstrate the massive difference most folks say Intel has in gaming, and once you run at 1440p, most of the massive lead evaporates again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vreY8eiKz6k

Having run a 2700X on both X370 and X470, I can assure you that you are factually incorrect. XFR 2 runs and boosts every bit the same, including max frequencies on X370. If you don't like the boost clocks, they are modifiable in many UEFI settings.

Because of how well XFR 2 works, there is little need if any, to overclocking the 2700X unless you need the multi-core speeds to be higher than you can hit with your current cooling.

Too many people like to champion maximum possible gaming performance as the deciding factor, failing to take into account that once you hit a GPU bottleneck, it doesn't matter how fast your CPU is. The extra ability of a CPU beyond a GPU bottleneck simply doesn't matter. You may see better 1% and 0.1% lows, but even that isn't being demonstrated between either Intel's high end offering and AMD's, so saying you need Intel, when you don't have a 1080 Ti or faster GPU, or when you may end up running at 1440p resolutions, is missing or glossing over a pretty big point that you are going to have to contend with.

At 1440p with G-SYNC running, you won't even be able to perceive the difference between a 2700X and an 8700k on a GTX 1080 unless you benchmark both systems.

One additional benefit to sticking with Ryzen is knowing you will get another CPU release that you can upgrade to, beyond the 2700X in 2019. With Intel, the trend is to support up to 2 CPU releases, so you will pretty much go in knowing you won't be getting much of an upgrade path for the motherboard down the road.

Solution
In the 1600X you now have a processor with 12 threads that can overclock to 3.9.
That, I think is quite good for your chip.
With a 2700K, you will get 16 threads and likely a better overclock, topping out around 4.3 with a good chip.

How many threads can you effectively use?
If your games are multiplayer, that is the best case for many threads.
Reality is that few games can make effective use of more than 2-3 threads.
If your games tend to sims, mmo, or strategy then the performance of the single master thread is all important.

Fast action shooters are more gpu dependent.

You should experiment with YOUR games by removing one or more cores/threads. You can do this in the windows msconfig boot advanced options option.
You will need to reboot for the change to take effect. Set the number of threads to less than you have.
This will tell you how sensitive your games are to the benefits of many threads.
If you see little difference, your game does not need all the threads you have.

If you go the 8th gen intel route and a K suffix processor, you will get an overclock in the 5.0 range.
The performance per clock is a bit better with intel also. +10% perhaps.
Pick the number of threads that you need.
i3-8350K has 4
i5-8600K has 6
i7-8700K has 12.
You will also need a Z370 based motherboard.
Intel is not as picky about ram so you will be ok tere.

Viralology

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2015
I appreciate all the answers, but I think I am just going to stick with the 2700x. Although it may be the Same price going switching to a 8600k and getting a cheap mobo but honestly I don’t want to go through the hassle of switching and selling all my stuff, also to me i is not worth it. In the long run I Beleive that the more cores available on the 2700x will be a huge benifite to me becuause I am a computer science major and the 3D modeling and all coding programs I will need to be running will take advantage of all the cores available on the 2700x. As for gaming if intel does yield a 5-8 FPS better that isn’t worth it to me in my opinion. Thank you guys for the help. The reason why I’ll be getting the 2700x is because it is newer and maybe will future proof longer.

neverumindnow

Reputable
May 29, 2015
Also get a good cooler for you 2700x, so it isn't backing off the pedal all the time, to stay cool. A top-tier air cooler and good airflow though your case should do it. Make sure your chose cooler will fit in your case, though. Some of them are quite large.