Ryzen 1920X low performance (rather low FPS in game, little multicore activity)

davidiusz

Prominent
Jan 26, 2018
Hello,

I've noticed a massive performance drop with my Ryzen 1920X as of late.

Hello, i noticed that the performance on my Ryzen 1920X is dropping lately...

Gear:
Ryzen TR 1920X (OC'd to 4.0 for a day then restored to default 3.5 GHz)
32 GB RAM (corsair, 4x8GB)
Samsung Pro Evo 920 NVMe 512 GB
Asus RoG GTX1080 Ti

Problem:
PUBG down to 70 FPS from 140
Escape from tatrkov down to 15-20 in place which had over 60 before
Warhammer vermintide 2 running at 80 FPS on medium graphics
Noticed its mostly a single core spiking to 100% while others are idle for all those above.
Massive netflix stuttering when watching (computer wide stuttering, not just the video)
Slow system start up.

Additional notes:
All drivers including BIOS up to date (according to easy driver).
Temps pretty normal, all-in water cooling installed on the CPU.

Few weeks back had a Windows (i think it was windows) bug where sudenly only a single core/thread was detected computerwide. Detected chache memory was 1/12th of the usual, not other core detected neither in device manager nor monitoring programs. System wipe helped, back to normal but I feel like the performance is lacking since (already started before, to a lower scale). Illustrated below.

wswMorh.png

Anyone got ideas that could help? I'm starting to worry some hardware may simply be damaged...

As a recent WIndows update was just pushed out, you might need to get the latest drivers loaded again, perhaps some were overwritten/replaced with default MS-provided drivers...

Opening task manager/cpu (change view to logical processors), and running Prime95, do your cores and threads all show up, and assorted cores ramp to near max during the task? (Do temps ramp up to 60C or so?) HWMonitor will show the clock speed of assorted cores...)

davidiusz

Prominent
Jan 26, 2018
Ok, i'll check that in the morning and give you feedback.
Temps do go to around 60 degrees under load with water cooling installer as far i can remember the tests.

davidiusz

Prominent
Jan 26, 2018
Where can i check if TR is running in game mode?

I know it isn't a dedicated gaming CPU, and i'm not using it exclusively for gaming, but benchmarks i looked at were suggesting a way better performance with it... i went 3 generation up with the GPU, 4 generations up with the CPU, quadrupled the RAM and still feel like on my old PC :|

Here's the exact setup:
NVIDIA ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Strix ROG 11GB
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1920X @ 3.5 GHz
Motherboard TR4 MSI X399 SLI PLUS
HDD WD 4TB IntelliPower 64MB Red (data storage)
Samsung 500GB Series 960 EVO M.2 2280 NVMe
PSU Corsair CS850M 850W Gold
RAM Corsair DDR4 3200 MHz Vengeance LPX Red CL 16 (4x8GB)
Water Cooler Fractal Design Celcius S24
Asus Strix Soar sound card
NZXT H700i CaseDVD Drive Lite-On ES1

24" LED Screen Samsung S24F356FHUX (2 times)
29" LED screen ACER Predator Z301CTBMIPHZX Curved

davidiusz

Prominent
Jan 26, 2018

So, did the testing.
All Cores/Threads show up.
All ramp up to 100% under test.
Temp at 67 deg celcius for Node 0; 65 deg for node 2 according to HWMonitor.
Assorted screenshots bellow.
jhqot7y.png

1Tbqokh.png

https://i.imgur.com/Y09aWz0.png (SS from task manager, not posted as embedded so to use less room).

Results are far of being as good with PUBG or Tarkov. Used process Lasso to monitor.
PUBG there's a single thread ramped to 100%, sometimes a second one kicks in. Other under 10% usage. GPU at 60% usage.
Tarkov single core ramped up to 100% others virtually idle, not even a core delegated to take care of stuff going in the background.

So... what now? Its kinda frustrating not being able to even hit 100 with most of those i know running easly more than that (well, in pubg, not that good in PUBG but lots of people with lower class rigs are running 3-4 times better).

No part number for memory is given by OP. I'm guessing RAM Corsair DDR4 3200 MHz Vengeance LPX Red CL 16 (4x8GB) is actually two kits of Model CMK16GX4M2B3200C16R.

Opening post lists memory as "32 GB RAM (corsair, 4x8GB)". The poster seems to have little knowledge of memory clock speeds, DRAM timings, and DRAM voltage. I would guess the problems are typical of using multiple memory kits where the memory has compatibility problems caused by using more than one memory kit.

I believe Corsair does not make a single kit of "RAM Corsair DDR4 3200 MHz Vengeance LPX Red CL 16 (4x8GB)" that the user claims to be using.

davidiusz

Prominent
Jan 26, 2018
Yes, those are two kits of "RAM Corsair DDR4 3200 MHz Vengeance LPX Red CL 16 (2x8GB)", did not think that owuld relevenat as it was twice the same RAM.
As for part number... not really sure where to check that.

And yes, i'm not a pro, and i am not aware of those potential problem, but i would gladly be enlightened. :)

davidiusz

Prominent
Jan 26, 2018
To be honest, as far i've seen, i've never needed past say 25 GB.

So if not that, any other ideas exept "thats just how AMD is, go get an Intel"?