Question Ryzen 2200G system boot loop problem.

PrastistroN

Commendable
Apr 16, 2019
Hi.

This thread is quiet long so I decided to make a TL;DR version of it:

My Ryzen 2200G system suffers a boot loop problem for about two weeks. Everytime the CPU gets a full load for either stress test or games, the problem happens and it's getting worse. Tried many solutions to no avail. I suspect it could be the PSU, but I could be wrong.

Here are the insides:

Ryzen 3 2200G w/ Wraith Stealth cooler
ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming/ITX-ac
V-GeN DDR4 TSUNAMI 3200mhz CL16
ADATA XPG SX8200 PRO 256gb
Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 1tb
EVGA G2 550w 80+ Gold Full Modular (factory refurbished)

Assembled in the Cooler Master Elite 110 Advanced (front aluminum panel) ITX case.

I have this problem for about two weeks now since I built my new Ryzen PC.

It starts after a few days I built the system. Turned XMP on so I can use the advertised RAM speed of 3200mhz, installed windows and important drivers (the rest like wifi and LAN I left out for Windows automatic installation). Everything went well, it boots up, installed apps, browsed, watch YouTube, doing work assignments, and it even plays Rainbow Six Siege for maybe a few minutes of Situations Mode, and a casual match no problemo.

Then I installed GTA and played for about few minutes, until the problem happens. My PC suddenly shutting down without warning, and powered back on after a few seconds. When it powered on, the fans spinned, the power led lights up, but it stuck in a loop (on and off again) for about three to five times until it goes POST. After that I checked BIOS, and the settings are back to default (XMP reverted back to 2400mhz).

Not only when playing games, it also happens when the CPU is under some sort of load, like CPU-Z stress test, goes for about twenty minutes and then shutoff. Happens in a shorter time when the XMP was turned on. This problem lasts until I made this thread, and even when I didn't overclock anything.

Now I've tried so many things, like reseating RAM, updating BIOS, turning C and P-states, automatic shutdown, and cool'n'quiet to disabled, updating drivers, changing thermal paste, changing PSU fan orientation, tidying up cables, even adding two more 80mm fans on the sides, and the problem still persisted. Changing thermal paste and adding two fans put the CPU temps a bit more cooler than before though.

Some said overclocking the CPU could fix it, so I tried OCing the CPU and GPU to no avail. At first it boots, but when it was put on some sort of load the problem happened again. Sometimes the problem worsen to the point that the BIOS was on default settings after it loops, then shortly on the login screen, the problem happens with a single click. I often needs to short the CLR_CMOS pins to make it normal again.

I suspected the PSU, as it is a refurbished product. But there might be anyone who has the same problem like me which solves the problem without replacing anything, because I'm out of my budget, and I'm just against RMA at the moment (the RMA technician said the PSU is not the problem, sigh).

It could even be my board, or RAM, or even the APU, or maybe the SSD, I'm not sure. But if the hardware which caused this problem is clear, I will consider to replace it. Some parts of the case also gave me quite electrical shocks, but let's just put this aside for now, unless this shocks have something to do with my main problem.

Does anyone have any solution to this? It gave me a total headaches that I just want to enjoy my new PC.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Can you remain in the BIOS page for an indefinite period? Speaking of BIOS, which version of BIOS are you for your motherboard? You could breadboard the system and try working with a different set of rams(DDR4 ofc) and a PSU that is from a reputed brand borrowed from a friend or neighbor.

PrastistroN

Commendable
Apr 16, 2019
Can you remain in the BIOS page for an indefinite period? Speaking of BIOS, which version of BIOS are you for your motherboard? You could breadboard the system and try working with a different set of rams(DDR4 ofc) and a PSU that is from a reputed brand borrowed from a friend or neighbor.
Haven't tried to stay in BIOS for long, maybe I'll do it later tonight while I sleep, I'll update you.
And yes, I forgot to tell that it happens even in BIOS, mostly right after I pressed "enter" when trying to save/discard any changes and exiting. Sometimes it happens just by browsing the BIOS.
BIOS is at version 3.10 with AGESA 1.0.0.7.
No one around have an enthusiasm for PC other than myself, so borrowing hardware is a bit hard, but I'll try going to a PC shop tomorrow to do it.

Last edited:

PrastistroN

Commendable
Apr 16, 2019
Update:
I've left the BIOS screen for 3 hours, and guess what? My PC is getting a total black screen, not going to POST at all and not even rebooting that I need to turn off the PSU switch directly (I don't exactly know when this happens, but I'm sure it already got that boot loops again. I got this problem before).

popatim

Titan
Let it sit a few hours then boot into the bios again and navigate to the health monitoring screen and watch your temperatures. Maybe video them if you don't want to sit there a while. See if they start climbing up & up & up or if it levels out somewhere (Where?)

PrastistroN

Commendable
Apr 16, 2019
Let it sit a few hours then boot into the bios again and navigate to the health monitoring screen and watch your temperatures. Maybe video them if you don't want to sit there a while. See if they start climbing up & up & up or if it levels out somewhere (Where?)
Ok, so I've done this for about another three hours, but this time it's a fresh start after sitting it for a few hours before.

It doesn't reboot this time. BIOS page has been open for a few hours until I made this post, and it doesn't crash. Yes the CPU temps climbs up from 38.5 to 46.5 °C, but never saw anything higher than that (now stays at 45 °C). Maybe it has something to do with my room's AC, because yesterday when the BIOS crashes, my AC was turned off automatically and my room gets really hot.

But, I still doubt this problem was because of overheating though. I'll update you on the next few hours.

H/W Monitor and Room Temp. Status:
CPU: 45 °C
MB: 34 °C
CPU Fan: Around 1340rpm
AC Temps.: 24 °C
Case Fans: Molex Full Speed maybe around 2000rpm if the specs not wrong.

Last edited:

PrastistroN

Commendable
Apr 16, 2019
Update:

My AC has turned off automatically, then about 12 minutes later the problem happened. CPU temps last seen was climbing up to 47.5 °C while MB temps are about 38 °C, and then it shuts off. Once rebooted, the CPU fan starts to rev up a few times and then goes full speed but the pc doesn't go to POST. And it just rebooted once, without any sign of another reboot until I posted this update (and no sign it's going to POST either).

I might be convinced if it's because of overheating now, but temps before it shuts down says otherwise. Or PSU overheating maybe?

Any ideas?

Last edited:

PrastistroN

Commendable
Apr 16, 2019
SOLVED

Changed my PSU with a Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum.

Overkill, I know. But totally worth to remove a hell lot of headaches, and opens up a room for upgrading in the future.