Question Ryzen 2400g mobo

The only boards that can do this are MSI max boards.
PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
Motherboard | MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard | $114.99 @ Amazon
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | $114.99
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-21 21:16 EST-0500 |

All other 3xx and 4xx boards will need a bios update to support all 3 gens, and X570 only supports 2nd and 3rd gen.

WH351f6.png

The board Nighthawk recommended is the ONLY board I'd recommend that is not only compatible with that "technically" 1st gen Ryzen 2400G (Yes, it's actually NOT Zen+, it's a Zen based CPU), actual Zen+ CPUs AND Zen 2 CPUs, that you don't have to update the BIOS on for anything from the 2200G all the way up to the 3900x.

It's a good choice, with good build quality and good VRMs, and is very reasonably priced.

shanyin37

Honorable
May 23, 2017
I posted a thread called build my dad a pc. I was showed a mobo that supports 2nd and 3rd gen.And it doesnt need an update and is cheaper. I cant find it. The mobo here is 1st and 2nd

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Every single B450 motherboard will support 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gen, and is guaranteed to support 2nd gen out of the box. They may need a BIOS update to support 3rd gen, but given that you're starting with a 2nd gen CPU that's not an issue. You can easily perform that BIOS update yourself if/when you want to upgrade to 3rd gen.

Here's a list:
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/#c=133

If you really want one that supports 3rd gen without a BIOS update for some reason, here's a fairly cheap one that will: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/kcCFf7/asrock-b450mac-micro-atx-am4-motherboard-b450mac

If you were already shown one you liked, why did you create another thread about it?

I don't see anything that says that board is Ryzen 3000 ready. It just says it's compatible. They are ALL compatible, once updated, but I'm not sure that means it COMES "ready" for it, without a BIOS update. Usually, in situations like this, they will specifically SAY "Ryzen 3000 ready" or something to that effect. But you may be right, I don't know that you aren't and if so, that's good. I'd like to see all these boards transition to compatible BIOSes.

If you were already shown one you liked, why did you create another thread about it?

This is the more important question, however I do not see any evidence that any other threads have been created so it must have been on some other website, which probably means the recommendations and advice given were probably below the level of acceptability we've come to represent here. 😁

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/6d...ax-micro-atx-am4-motherboard-b450m-pro-m2-max
Perhaps it was this board for $75.

Very good board for the money that is out of the box compatable with all 3 ryzen gens, but I would strongly advise getting the b450 tomahawk max.

The pro m.2 is fine for the 4 core Ryzen apus, but the pro m.2 is a low end micro atx board.

The cheaper board has 2 ram slots and 1 pcie x16 slote limiting upgrade options. It also has a medeocre vrm without heatsync that would struggle with high end CPU like a 3900/3900x.

I would second the motion for the Tomahawk. I had serious reservations early on about that board, and for a while, because we had seen a lot of troubles with them, but now I suspect that was simply due to a bad batch. Since last year, I haven't seen a single instance of any major problems on those boards and they have excellent performance in reviews across the board. I like the Pro Carbon better, but obviously it's a more expensive option.