Ryzen 2400G new build problems

xStampede

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2013
Hi,

specs:
CPU: ryzen 2400g
motherboard: MSI B450M PRO M.2
ram: Corsair Vengeance Value Select 8GB 2666 CL18 (on motherboard compatibility list)
SSD: M.2 WD Blue 3d NAND 500GB
PSU: LC power LC300STX

PC CASE: Inter-Tech IT 607 Desktop http://

I'm experienced builder but it's my first time with AMD, had no problems with my 7 intel builds in the past.

i just build a brand new ryzen 2400g and i have many problems, first of all it have micro stutters, even when playing YouTube video in lower resolutions. It finishes Cinebench with a little bellow standard score of 750 average. I read a lot about this problem which seems quite common but noone of the solutions i found worked so far, i tried setting CPU multiplier to 36 cause on auto it ran at 3700 MHz according to CPU-Z which is higher than it's base clock.

updated BIOS but didn't solve the problem, there is a newer beta version that i still haven't tried.

I tried turning off Turbo boost and C-stages, at some points it worked for a while but then problems again

Motherboard has 8pin CPU connector but power supply has only 4pin one, so 4pin's are empty.

tried setting lower GPU clock and CPU clock but it didn't help, tried all different drivers,

now i'm even getting blue screens and windows 10 doesn't work correctly. At this point im out of ideas. I have no idea which part is defective and what is causing the problems. I hope anyone here have any idea on what to do next.

xStampede

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2013

I have put the ram stick in the second slot, the one further away from CPU, now it works fine but it probably won't last.

Also the PC was turned off for a while, it might have cooled down, im suspecting that motherboard with no VRM heatsink and no back fan might be causing it to overheat and cause microstutters.

xStampede

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2013

I forgot to write the BSOD error down, will do it next time it happens. Will try removing CMOS later after memtest.

xStampede

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2013
Yea, i installed all the latest drivers from motherboard website, also installed latest the Ryzen 2400G drivers from AMD website, updated bios to newest non-beta version, tried all suggested solutions i found on google, nothing works for me. The best i get is 15 minutes of working before stuttering starts, and when it starts it doesn't go away until restart.

Also on front 3.5 jack for headphones, only leftside work, right side is mute, while on the back I/O 3.5 jack headhones work just fine.

Also VLC gives just green screen while windows default player doesn't put out side, just video works.

So should i RMA the motherboard?

xStampede

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2013

This is not my main rig, i will try with PSU from main rig tommorow, its EVGA G2 750 supernova, high tier superflower.

xStampede

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2013
I tried to swap RAM, couldn't try PSU cause on my main rig the 4 pin CPU power goes behind the motherboard and it would be a pain in the ass tinkering with my perfectly working PC just to try it.

I decided to RMA the motherboard, after i lift up the stock AMD cooler i noticed there was a very small amount of non conductive thermal paste(factory applied) on the side of CPU, could have that been the cause of the problem? Or should i go on and RMA the motherboard?

Also when i was cleaning the paste from side of CPU a small amount went under the metal cover of CPU(or whatever it is called, the part you remove when deliding), could that make anything go wrong?

xStampede

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2013
Hey, i RMA'd the motherboard, now after i month i recieved it back, on the return paper they wrote "no error found" and returned the exact same motherboard. I wrote a comprehensive error description, the company i ordered from is from another country Germany and is kinda big and busy so it's almost imposible to get in contact with RMA team, i don't know what to do at this point.

Considering that audio was working only if connected from back panel, can it be CPU fault or is faulty motherboard for sure?