Question Ryzen 2400G or 2600 with low end GPU?

sat_mad

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
Hi folks,

I'm looking to replace my ageing workstation...

For a general PC (no gaming, very occasional video editing/Photoshop) am I better off going for a 2400G APU, or a 2600 with a low end (probably passively cooled) GPU?

sat_mad

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
Thanks for your replies.

The GPU would only be something like a GT710 or even the old HD 5XXX that I currently have.

I'm leaning towards the 2600 for the raw processing power, but as I don't use the PC a whole lot the 2400G is also attractive but I'm kind of concerned that if I encode much video on it, it's not going to be happy.

sat_mad

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
How much RAM are you looking to buy? The 2400G will share system RAM so really not ideal if going with 8gb. At 16gb it wouldn’t matter some being shared.
It would definitely be 16GB as I tend to often have a virtual machine running Windows going as I tend to run Linux as a rule.
If you don't want an igp, go straight for a bargain 1700 over the 2600 - when it comes to video encoding, the more cores the better. Otherwise, the 2400G is a nice chip that can do everything quite nicely.
I hadn't even pondered the older chips - thanks for the heads up.

It would definitely be 16GB as I tend to often have a virtual machine running Windows going as I tend to run Linux as a rule.

I hadn't even pondered the older chips - thanks for the heads up.
There was an advertisement for such a deal on Tom's recently, thus my advice - especially since the 1700 usually overclocks quite well if you want to try it. If not, the 2700 is a nice choice for video encoding as its 65W don't push most PC cases' fans (not like my 2700X)

TRENDING THREADS