[SOLVED] ryzen 2600 and gtx 2060 stutters in OBS

wittypixel

Honorable
Oct 29, 2016
hi all

while using Streamlabs OBS and attempting to record. I get stutter even when recording at 720p with performance preset.

I use the nvidia encoder since I hear it work really well with the nvidia 2000 series cards. could anyone give me any advice on this? thanks.

SPECS

Ryzen 2600 (Not OC)
GTX 2060
32GB RAM
850W PSU
Asrock x370 AC/SLI Killer

Windows 1809

Last edited:
Solution
hi all

while using Streamlabs OBS and attempting to record. I get stutter even when recording at 720p with performance preset.

I use the nvidia encoder since I hear it work really well with the nvidia 2000 series cards. could anyone give me any advice on this? thanks.

SPECS

Ryzen 2600 (Not OC)
GTX 2060
32GB RAM
850W PSU

Windows 1809
Got to task manager while recording go to the details tab sort by CPU usage and find nvcontainer.exe right click on it and set priority to realtime,this will make sure that the recording will not get interrupted at all,it could slightly affect your FPS in game though,can't have it all.
hi all

SPECS

Ryzen 2600 (Not OC)
GTX 2060
32GB RAM
850W PSU

Windows 1809
Got to task manager while recording go to the details tab sort by CPU usage and find nvcontainer.exe right click on it and set priority to realtime,this will make sure that the recording will not get interrupted at all,it could slightly affect your FPS in game though,can't have it all.

Reactions: wittypixel
Solution

wittypixel

Honorable
Oct 29, 2016
Can you try recording with any other software? Does the same sutter issue occurs here also?

can you suggest some free recording software?

oh this worked for you? also what's your specs?? if you don't mind me asking.

wittypixel

Honorable
Oct 29, 2016
It's how windows works,tasks with the same priority will get shared resources,to make sure that a tasks get's 100% of the processing time it needs it has to run on the highest priority and be the only one to do so.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/procthread/scheduling-priorities
That sounds completely logical to me and your tip helped a lot!! videos are looking much better but noticing videos are still a tinge laggy, like 90% good/10%laggy versus prior to your change like 100% laggy. Strange thing is GPU and CPU aren't being hammered.

Now something weird, i use settings below and the video bitrate seems completely random which might be the problem. started with 15 CQ and video bitrate was about 30,000, then 20 CQ, bitrate jumped to 60,000, then 22 CQ and it went all the way down to 8,000. bitrate seems completely arbitrary.

Encoder: nvenc [NEW]
CQ level: 22 (higher = lower quality)
PRESET: Max performance
profile: high
lookahead: on
psycho visual tuning: on
max B frames: 2

Last edited:
Strange thing is GPU and CPU aren't being hammered.
As I said it's about priorities, the percentage of usage is pretty much irrelevant.
If the game (or anything else) you are running uses the same priority on a thread or two it will still interfere a little with the stream.
But yes it could also be about the upload not being enough, you could test that easily enough by recording to your drive instead of streaming.

wittypixel

Honorable
Oct 29, 2016
As I said it's about priorities, the percentage of usage is pretty much irrelevant.
If the game (or anything else) you are running uses the same priority on a thread or two it will still interfere a little with the stream.
But yes it could also be about the upload not being enough, you could test that easily enough by recording to your drive instead of streaming.
this whole issue is only about recording, streaming works perfect.

so i made the changes you suggested, there any way to see which other apps have realtime resource usage??

EDIT: hmmm, looks like priority went back to normal. that supposed to happen?

View: https://imgur.com/a/i0CAclb

Last edited: