[SOLVED] Ryzen 2600 constantly stuck on 100% usage since yesterday??

Apr 12, 2020
So my system is a Ryzen 2600
msi b450 gaming plus motherboard
Nvidia rtx 2060 gpu
16 gb Corsair ddr4 3200 ram
750w psu

so since yesterday my pcu has been stuck at 100 percent usage for no reason?
I have read a lot of threads and nothing has worked. Has anyone else had this issue recently and figured what the issue was as I’m at a total loss?

Apr 12, 2020
If you're running any motherboard software for LED control or system control uninstall it.

MSI motherboard software is notoriously bad and can cause high CPU and RAM use for no reason...I had the same issues with MSI Dragon center.

my motherboard says my cpu is running at 6% in the dragon centre. I updated the bios didn't help either. I cant find a led manager even though I have seen that pop up in my task manager processes a few times?
how did you uninstall yours maybe im missing something?

Apr 9, 2020
My guess, a driver causing errors and spamming event viewer.

Open cmd and type the following commands one by one, after each command press the Enter key:

net stop iphlpsvc
net stop wscsvc
net stop Winmgmt
net start Winmgmt
net start wscsvc
net start iphlpsvc

Once done check the cpu usage and reboot your PC and check again. This should allow the process to drop significantly and the CPU will be back to its normal use.

If this didn't fix it try this:

Locate the process using Event Viewer and uninstall it

Open the Event Viewer. Click on View in the toolbar at the top of the Event Viewer window and enable the Show Analytic and Debug Logs option.

event-viewer-diagnose.jpg

In the left pane of the window, navigate to Applications and Services Logs > Microsoft > Windows > WMI-Activity.

Double-click on WMI-Activity to expand its contents, and click on Operational in the list of its contents to open the WMI Provider Host’s operational logs.

Look for any errors, and when you find one, click on it to display its specifications at the bottom of the window.

WMI-prvse-activity-error.jpg

Under the General tab of the specifications of the error you clicked on, look for the term ClientProcessId, and when you find it, note down or remember the number(s) – 4704, for example – that follow it.

Close the Event Viewer and open the Task Manager. Hold the Windows Key and Press R. In the Run Dialog, type taskmgr and click OK. Navigate to the Services tab and look for the service that has the same Process ID (PID) as the number(s) that followed the ClientProcessID term.

The service that has the corresponding Process ID is the culprit, so once you find it, immediately disable it and then go to Control Panel > Programs & Features and uninstall the program that the culprit service was for. Once the program has been uninstalled, WMI Provider Host should go back to using an extremely minimal amount of CPU. (Reboot pc after this)

WMI-Provider-Host-High-CPU-usage.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2020
My guess, a driver causing errors and spamming event viewer.

Open cmd and type the following commands one by one, after each command press the Enter key:

net stop iphlpsvc
net stop wscsvc
net stop Winmgmt
net start Winmgmt
net start wscsvc
net start iphlpsvc

Once done check the cpu usage and reboot your PC and check again. This should allow the process to drop significantly and the CPU will be back to its normal use.

If this didn't fix it try this:

Locate the process using Event Viewer and uninstall it

Open the Event Viewer. Click on View in the toolbar at the top of the Event Viewer window and enable the Show Analytic and Debug Logs option.

event-viewer-diagnose.jpg

In the left pane of the window, navigate to Applications and Services Logs > Microsoft > Windows > WMI-Activity.

Double-click on WMI-Activity to expand its contents, and click on Operational in the list of its contents to open the WMI Provider Host’s operational logs.

Look for any errors, and when you find one, click on it to display its specifications at the bottom of the window.

WMI-prvse-activity-error.jpg

Under the General tab of the specifications of the error you clicked on, look for the term ClientProcessId, and when you find it, note down or remember the number(s) – 4704, for example – that follow it.

Close the Event Viewer and open the Task Manager. Hold the Windows Key and Press R. In the Run Dialog, type taskmgr and click OK. Navigate to the Services tab and look for the service that has the same Process ID (PID) as the number(s) that followed the ClientProcessID term.

The service that has the corresponding Process ID is the culprit, so once you find it, immediately disable it and then go to Control Panel > Programs & Features and uninstall the program that the culprit service was for. Once the program has been uninstalled, WMI Provider Host should go back to using an extremely minimal amount of CPU. (Reboot pc after this)

WMI-Provider-Host-High-CPU-usage.jpg

so said access denied everytime I tried a command. also with the process ids, they weren't there when I looked for them? every error was no longer visible by the PID?

my motherboard says my cpu is running at 6% in the dragon centre. I updated the bios didn't help either. I cant find a led manager even though I have seen that pop up in my task manager processes a few times?
how did you uninstall yours maybe im missing something?

The LED software is part of the Dragon Center program and is used to control the 2 LED headers on the motherboard...if you have Dragon Center installed I would just set any LEDs you have how you want them and uninstall the entire Dragon Center program. It doesn't do anything other programs can't do better, and at least on my MSI build it caused all sorts of performance issues.

Apr 12, 2020
The LED software is part of the Dragon Center program and is used to control the 2 LED headers on the motherboard...if you have Dragon Center installed I would just set any LEDs you have how you want them and uninstall the entire Dragon Center program. It doesn't do anything other programs can't do better, and at least on my MSI build it caused all sorts of performance issues.

sadly it didn’t change anything. The pc is back to factory reset level of operating system the cpu is still stuck on 100% but doing nothing. Even opening a web browser causes it problems. I have tried everything I could find on the web but nothing has worked. Very disappointing

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Reactions: dorsai
Solution